PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just swapped in an LSA engine, having some driveability issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just swapped in an LSA engine, having some driveability issues.

I sold my 416 engine and bought a bone stock LSA, I rebuilt the engine with new .010 oversized pistons and added a LS9 camshaft and a 2.55 upper pulley, since its swapped in a '71 Firebird, it already has a LT headers and cold-air intake. I ordered a stock CTS-V PCM out of a 2009 Caddy so I was expecting it to start right up and drive nice since its not a heavily modified engine but otherwise it starting out very rich then it will lean out in a minute or two then it will go back the rich status again, then it would die when I ever I coast down. I attached a HP Tuners tune and log (the log starts from a cold startup to a short drive where it died a few times on me). Can someone have a look and tell me whats happening?

Thanks,,,
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
first drive.hpl (1.19 MB, 39 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

You are pig rich... Also your timing is all over the place. When the RPMS start dropping your timing is falling too low to allow the engine to continue to run. Why this is happening.. I'm not sure as I don't know enough to point you in the right direction. It looks like the tune is WAY off though. You can see the adjustments that the computer is making trying to get the AFR right. Many of those cells in the upper right chart show double digit numbers. Is this engine super-charged? It shows in the tune that it is... Just one more thing to look at.

Also look at Engine>Fuel>General>Stocihiometry That looks like numbers that would apply to a supercharged engine only. It's trying to run the engine really rich to account for the extra air a S/C would be pushing into the engine.

I'm still in the learning mode so I will be watching to see the responses that help you figure it out.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

LSA= Supercharged. A milder form of the LS9 supercharged engine
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for that. I'm still learning about the LS platform.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

No sweat! Figured you didn't know. The LSA and LS9 are the only two OEM supercharged LS engines. Both are Gen IV 6.2L engines.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamaro
I sold my 416 engine and bought a bone stock LSA, I rebuilt the engine with new .010 oversized pistons and added a LS9 camshaft and a 2.55 upper pulley, since its swapped in a '71 Firebird, it already has a LT headers and cold-air intake. I ordered a stock CTS-V PCM out of a 2009 Caddy so I was expecting it to start right up and drive nice since its not a heavily modified engine but otherwise it starting out very rich then it will lean out in a minute or two then it will go back the rich status again, then it would die when I ever I coast down. I attached a HP Tuners tune and log (the log starts from a cold startup to a short drive where it died a few times on me). Can someone have a look and tell me whats happening?

Thanks,,,
I could point you in several of the right directions, but you have HPT, and you know how to log data. You are only a few hours of reading away from being able to figure this out for yourself. Once you do that, you will no longer have to wonder if the internet advice you are getting is legit or not.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
I could point you in several of the right directions, but you have HPT, and you know how to log data. You are only a few hours of reading away from being able to figure this out for yourself. Once you do that, you will no longer have to wonder if the internet advice you are getting is legit or not.
Do you have any specific website or book? I really would like to dig it myself and I'm really willing to learn.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamaro
Do you have any specific website or book? I really would like to dig it myself and I'm really willing to learn.
Do a search for Corky Bell, and read anything he wrote about engines. The info is very old, but gives a solid basis for engine theory. Look at the stickies at the top of this and most other enthusiast sites, as the info that gets stickied may or may not be dated, but is generally vetted for accuracy. Look at racing results sections of forums, and read what the guys with legit results have to say in their posts. Look at posts from people who have problems, and see if the resulting comments end in a good resolution. Ignore anything a google search can't correlate to positive results. If you hate yourself, and feel the need to be ostracized as a newbie, go ask a question on Yellowbullet forums. Otherwise, just read on that site after you get past the basics.

Quick Reply: Just swapped in an LSA engine, having some driveability issues.