PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
Correction - flashing with the SX took 4.5 minutes, not 8. The LX is certainly faster at 3 minutes, but the difference isn't quite as dramatic as I thought.

When the next release goes out, the ObdLink LX or MX will be the recommendations for people who don't already have something.
Just want to make a note that people should be aware both of these devices are ONLY offered in a Bluetooth version. Yes there is a Wi-Fi version of the MX but stay far...far away from it.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

Ah, good point. I'll edit my post just to avoid giving someone the wrong impression.

In other news... I just did two full flashes on my bench P01. Changed the OS from 12593358 to 12221588 and back again, with no issues.

Well, one issue... it takes a looong time. 18:20 with the AllPro, and would probably take 35-40 minutes with the LX, But it works.

I'm hoping to release an update this weekend, I mostly just want to add code that prevents P59 flashing because it's not reliable enough yet.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction - flashing with the SX took 4.5 minutes, not 8. The LX is certainly faster at 3 minutes, but the difference isn't quite as dramatic as I thought.

When the next release goes out, the ObdLink LX or MX-Bluetooth (not wifi) will be the recommendations for people who don't already have something.
Hi all.

Has anyone tried the newer MX+ yet?
Just wondering as I don't have any reason to run out and purchase ANY of the MX series, as all of my vehicles are pre-CANBUS.

Mike
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the next release goes out, the ObdLink LX or MX-Bluetooth (not wifi) will be the recommendations for people who don't already have something.
So how do i use the Obdlink sx? PCM Hammer v5 doesn't recognize it.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Machinery Repairman
So how do i use the Obdlink sx? PCM Hammer v5 doesn't recognize it.
Sounds like you either have a driver issue or are not selecting the correct com port. I just pulled a fresh copy of release 5 and tested this and every thing does work correctly.

With the Sx plugged into the computer first check to make sure the Sx shows up in the device manager and see what com port it's on.

Once you know the com port number, open the PCM Hammer and select correct com port the Sx is on and select device type as ObdLink or Allpro. You can now test the device, if your device selection and com port are correct you'll be told its working. If it is unable to initialize the Sx either you already have the com port open or the Sx is missing drivers/defective.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Teching In

The Obdlink gauges would read rpm and coolant temp with OBDwiz installed.
Installed a driver and it did a complete read in 48 minutes. The Allpro was a lot faster before it died.
I want to clone this pcm before i change anything in case i screw anything up (and there is a very good chance i will).
It's what happens when you are old, retired and bored.

Thanks for the help.
Bill
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Teching In

The Allpro worked well until i tried data logging and gauges in Tunerpro about 2 months ago.
Now like Jim Blackwood it will not connect.
Did Tunerpro kill it?
Old 05-18-2019, 06:50 PM
Teching In

PCM Hammer 005 worked excellent, for the changing the VIN #
[06:59:13:822] OS ID: 12216125
[06:59:13:744] VIN: 3GKFK16Z32G340827
to
[06:59:36:462] VIN successfully updated to 3GKFK16Z32G340828
(i changed the tail end of it)
but initially i had tried to RE-FLASH the PCM from 0411 (Serv Num 12200411) to a more ~compatible OS 12212156
and i had this....
[06:57:03:274] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:57:38:292] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:57:42:577] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:58:47:009] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[So I have got a PCM from an older gentleman who wants it done for $freebe$ for his motor test stand,
so i told him that this is going to happen, but could be next week or next year. He fine with that......]
I read all i could about this (nice post, on the other forum about switching over to a GM bin vs a custom bin)
and modifying the bin an such but i figure i start with that and then dive into the bin.
If i left parts off tell me...
Old 05-19-2019, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yager
PCM Hammer 005 worked excellent, for the changing the VIN #
[06:59:13:822] OS ID: 12216125
[06:59:13:744] VIN: 3GKFK16Z32G340827
to
[06:59:36:462] VIN successfully updated to 3GKFK16Z32G340828
(i changed the tail end of it)
but initially i had tried to RE-FLASH the PCM from 0411 (Serv Num 12200411) to a more ~compatible OS 12212156
and i had this....
[06:57:03:274] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:57:38:292] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:57:42:577] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[06:58:47:009] Please try again with a less important PCM.
[So I have got a PCM from an older gentleman who wants it done for $freebe$ for his motor test stand,
so i told him that this is going to happen, but could be next week or next year. He fine with that......]
I read all i could about this (nice post, on the other forum about switching over to a GM bin vs a custom bin)
and modifying the bin an such but i figure i start with that and then dive into the bin.
If i left parts off tell me...
At this time the PCM Hammer is not able to "Change" the operating system on the 0411 Pcm's. Depending on what device your using it may be possible using another program that's already that far along.

The 12212156 OS is about the best all around OS for the 896/411 unless you absolutely have to have flex fuel so your on the right track. There is also at least 1 VERY good Tuner Pro XDF for that OS, you should be able to find it on Gearhead-Efi.com in one of the stickied posts.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the Allpro being discontinued and more and more reports of peoples Allpro's failing, just as Machinery Repairman posted, I would NOT suggest using the Allpro with Tuner Pro for data logging at this time. I haven't had time to check with any one over at Pcmhacking.net to see if anyone's got an "Official" ADX file working for the Allpro that has been used with out any long term negative affects. The issue I suspect that is hurting the Allpro's is actually from Tuner Pro and not a fault of the Allpro it self. Several months back I discovered some odd behavior when starting a Log in Tuner Pro when it connects to a USB device, a tool that I was working on actually required some internal modifications to work with Tuner Pro for logging. When Tuner Pro would connect to the tool it was causing the tool's processor to reboot in a rather forceful manner, I did not look into the issue at a software level to see what exactly it was doing....it was easier to just alter the tool so that Tuner Pro was unable to cause a reset/reboot.

This bring me to my next topic of discussion......
With the Allpro no longer in production the only alternative are the OBDLink devices and they are PAINFULLY slow. I've dropped a number of teasers about a tool in development as an Allpro replacement over the last couple of months. The tool I've hinted too has had an enormous amount of time into development of not only the protocol/command set..... but also the hardware design it self. After building almost a dozen different prototype revisions I'm pretty confidant we've got the hardware sorted out so it's 100% rock solid and should prove to be VERY reliable and just as durable as tools like the OBDLink line of tools.

I'm still waiting to get a prototype in my hands of the design we are looking at taking into production but based on the remote testing I've done with my "business partner"on this; I don't anticipate I'm going to find any hardware defects when I put it on my oscilloscope. So here are a couple of pics of what the production version will most likely look like.

Spoiler!

We still have not decided if we are going to put the BT module on ALL the tools or leave it as a user select able option to help keep the base cost of the tool down. Keeping the cost down was a big concern while designing this and the BT module does add a noticeable increase in the final cost to build these......and not everyone is going to care about the BT aspect. Unfortunately the BT is not something that would be addable by an end user even if they were capable of soldering the module to the circuit board, both the BT module and tool processor require additional programming to make the BT work.

Spoiler!

About the only thing we do not have sorted out yet is a way to make the device firmware so it can be updated with out having the tool in our hands. We already know we will be adding to the firmware command set to continue growing the tool and we do want to be able to pass these updates along for free...it's just going to take some work to figure out how to make secure remote updates possible.

We still do not have a final production price figured out yet as assembly cost is going to be a HUGE factor in the final cost of the tool and we are not talking about having large quantities made so assembly cost is rather expensive. All I can say is a USB only version should be very comparable to what the USB Allpro cost, with the BT module added on it will add maybe $6-9 more to the total cost of the tool. We have been though more then a dozen different BT modules and there is a HUGE difference in the quality of what module is used and the quality is reflected in the BT modules cost. Sending 4K byte packets in 4X mode over BT isn't as simple as you might think lol.

Before anyone starts the "Mini USB is garbage" speech, we are well aware of what the typical reaction to Mini USB is by most people. Let me just say we've done our homework on the connector were using right now and are VERY happy with the quality. You will have to physically break the PCB to get the connector we are using to even start to come loose. The reason we are using Mini USB right now is so that we can close up the end of the tool case, the Mini USB plug sits far enough off the circuit board that we can make a plastic slug that sits in the tools case where the normal cord strain relief would have gone and have the USB connector protrude though the slug so it provides support for the PCB and connector.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Pete,

It's great to hear this interface device you've been working so hard on is showing promise! Count me in as a buyer when it's released!

At the risk of me sounding like a complete idiot, can you explain to me what a "BT Module" is?

Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

David
Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Teching In

I think I answered my own question. "BT" I'm guessing stands for Bluetooth...
Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidBraley
I think I answered my own question. "BT" I'm guessing stands for Bluetooth...
Correct. The tool works over USB OR Bluetooth and we were able to make both get along on the same circuit board so we didn't need 2 versions of the tool.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Teching In

You guys are amazing! @NSFW , @PeteS160 , and many other that have worked on this project! With Pete's LSdroid I was abled to successfully flash a 0411 OS to a 4896. The second ECU failed during flash which we chalked up to possibly bad ECU hardware. Went to a semi local pull a part a while back but only ECU I could find was a P59 that was not on the list pete had posted in this thread so I was weary of buying it since I will need DBC. I may order another one off ebay since my project goals have doubled (Building my truck and now a friend is building a S10 LS).
Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Teching In

I've been following this thread, and I can say for sure that I'm definitely down for a tool or two .
You guys deserve massive amounts of respect for opening the stock ECU to the masses. I cut my teeth in the DSM/Mitsubishi/Subaru world of ECU tuning, and I love the open-source nature of those groups. It's nice to see it happening here too .
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Tool sounds great, awesome job again guys.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Teching In

I want to thank everyone involved in this project. It is crazy that with cheap tuning cables and free software I can tune my e46 bmw or my vw tdi but for an LS this is all new.

I was wondering about the current tuning capabilities after using this software. Once the bin file is read, is it as simple as opening the file on tuner pro? As I understand we would need an XDF file and a checksum correction. Also, above it is mentioned that the software is not capable of changing OS versions, if you had a bin file from another vehicle with a different OS, couldnt you overwrite the OS?

I just finished my turbo 2500hd, to tune it I want to change the OS to speed density versus the stock maf. Is this doable with the current software and available XDF's?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gotwhey22
I was wondering about the current tuning capabilities after using this software.

is it as simple as opening the file on tuner pro?

That depends on what you call simple, While most of the XDF's have been setup using the same template so they are all very similar; it's not going to look or feel like commercial Ls tuning software. If your asking this I'm going to assume you haven't even installed Tuner Pro yet to take a look at it. It's free software so it's not going to hurt to take a look at it.

As I understand we would need an XDF file and a checksum correction

Yes, however you will need to use the checksum plugin that's created by the person that wrote the XDF or use what ever plugin they specified should be used with their XDF. There are at least 2 checksum plugins floating around for the 512K pcm and they should NOT interchanged. Same goes for the 1mb, there are 2 checksum plugin's and you can not mix and match them with just any XDF.

The checksum plugin on Gearhead-EFI goes with the XDF's there, there is a different checksum plugin on PCMHacking and should be used with XDF's that are being hosted on Pcmhacking.

I just finished my turbo 2500hd, to tune it I want to change the OS to speed density versus the stock maf.

This isn't done how your thinking it would be when using Tuner Pro. There is no check box to enable speed density or anything like that.

the software is not capable of changing OS versions

Correct, the PCM Hammer can NOT change an OS at this time. Meaning you can ONLY flash calibration data onto the PCM for the OS it already has. I'm going to also point out/note that Pcm hammer will not flash a 2/3 bar file either. It will most likely fail checksum validation.

Is this doable with the current software and available XDF's?

Very unlikely, it sounds like your wanting to run a COS from a commercial tuning company with things like boost and speed density. Even if you did get your hands on a COS(not that hard to do) there are no XDF's that are capable of correctly adjusting tables for boost. The reason there are no XDF's for boost is because it's a big gray area surrounding creation of XDF's for another company's COS.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Any updates on progress? I am currently using VXDiag Nano with great success. I’ve currently made vin changes, reading and calibration writes. When doing so I haven’t had a single issue. I can’t wait to be able to write an entire file as I have a few projects that will allow me to use my 01 s10 0411s.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

We've been close to releasing full write for the P01 for an embarrassingly long time now. The main thing we're missing is me being free for a few hours to clean up some loose ends.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)