PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
...but there are very few people that understand how Pcm hammers kernels work since they are created with a much different method they a kernel would typically be made.
I suspect the pool of people who will be able to write kernels in C (like the PCM Hammer kernels) is probably larger than the pool of people who could write a kernel in straight assembly (which is how most kernels are done). That's actually half the reason I wanted to do them in C... there are a lot more C programmers than 68000 assembly programmers out there in the world. And if someone wants to write a new kernel in assembly, they can use the existing C kernels as a reference.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Pete for the vast explanation.. I didn't realize that it was that hard to get it where it is now..
You seem to be the absolute guru for the vehicle protocols from that explanation, and I didn't mean to seem like I was stepping on toes.. You guys have done "awesome" with the all the hard you have done.. I guess the only thing to do would be to get the rest write capabilities done and leave it at that.. lol
The following users liked this post:
stevieturbo (10-19-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
For starters I need to work with the usbjtag.com guy to figure out how to unbrick my P59s.
I have all the info for this and have been using the USBBDM NT to read and write my P59 dozens of times. I'm in the process of moving, but once it settles down I should be able to document the whole process if you need it.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba2533
I have all the info for this and have been using the USBBDM NT to read and write my P59 dozens of times. I'm in the process of moving, but once it settles down I should be able to document the whole process if you need it.
Would you happen to know the service number or even what year your P59 was? I spent a great deal of time on this and the only one I've ever gotten it to work on was the 2003 P59 that used the Intel flash chip. I thought I had it close on the AMD version of the P59 a couple of times I've gone back and revisited this but was never able to get it to write correctly.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bubba2533
That would be great!

Especially if you've got the AMD flash chip, but if you've got the Intel I'd still like to take a shot at it.

Originally Posted by PeteS160
Would you happen to know the service number or even what year your P59 was? I spent a great deal of time on this and the only one I've ever gotten it to work on was the 2003 P59 that used the Intel flash chip. I thought I had it close on the AMD version of the P59 a couple of times I've gone back and revisited this but was never able to get it to write correctly.
Do you have any idea why the Intel works and AMD doesn't? If it's just a matter of getting the magic numbers written to the right places then I'm sure it's solvable in software, but if there's an extra write-enable line that needs voltage then it's going to require an extra connection to the board somewhere.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only used it on the Intel chips. I haven't gotten my hands on a AMD PCM yet.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to update the OS on the PCM, I have a few 411's from different vehicles with different OS versions, any way to get them all matching?

NSFW thank you for all your work.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, you can reflash a 411 to give it a different OS. But be aware that throttle-by-cable requires IAC drivers, which are not present on all 411s, so there are some limits on compatibility.

Since a OS flashing has a little bit higher risk, I'd recommend doing it with a bench harness.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Is there a way to tell if it has the correct Drive by Throttle cables drivers before I flash it, Or will I need to know where it came from, its history, if it has had its shots, did it have friends, did it perhaps ever spend its summers in Maine.

Thank you again
Old 10-24-2019, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by spectrum
Is there a way to tell if it has the correct Drive by Throttle cables drivers before I flash it, Or will I need to know where it came from, its history, if it has had its shots, did it have friends, did it perhaps ever spend its summers in Maine.

Thank you again
https://www.lsenginediy.com/comparin...i-controllers/
Old 10-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the info.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSFW
It's a long shot, but it can't hurt to try a read and a test write with it. If both of those go smoothly, you should be fine.

Also, just FYI, the OBDLink LX is considerably faster than the SX. In the US, the prices around $50 for the LX and $30 for the SX, and I think the extra $20 for the LX is money well spent.
The little harness arrived from the US the other day, and I've tried every cable I have here, to no avail. Couple of VAG cables I think, the ELM327, and a couple of Euro GM type diag units. PCMHammer doesnt seem to talk to any of them.

The ELM327 will connect via PCMScan so fairly sure the cable and test harness are working....although oddly for an ecu powered up with nothing connected, it shows no fault codes. Which strikes me as odd.

The OBDLink LX you refer to is a wireless bluetooth module ? Not a USB ? Just for clarity. And are these generic ? ie must it be from Scantool or China ? lol Although TBH, it does look like the genuine thing is cheaper.

OBDLink MX or MX+ ?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Teching In

What cable did you get and where from??
I got this one and it works fine:
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-26-2019, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The little harness arrived from the US the other day, and I've tried every cable I have here, to no avail. Couple of VAG cables I think, the ELM327, and a couple of Euro GM type diag units. PCMHammer doesnt seem to talk to any of them.

The ELM327 will connect via PCMScan so fairly sure the cable and test harness are working....although oddly for an ecu powered up with nothing connected, it shows no fault codes. Which strikes me as odd.

The OBDLink LX you refer to is a wireless bluetooth module ? Not a USB ? Just for clarity. And are these generic ? ie must it be from Scantool or China ? lol Although TBH, it does look like the genuine thing is cheaper.

OBDLink MX or MX+ ?
This would be the LX he was talking about
OBDLink LX OBDLink LX

It is a Bluetooth device that works on Windows(assuming you have BT on the computer) and with Android. It has a much larger buffer then the OBDLink LX that is USB.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Having some issues with PCM Hammer, it is not asking what device to use. Not sure how operate this software, looked on youtube with not much success, now I don't have a bench harness done yet, if that matters at this time, and I am using the Obdlink SX device.
I don't see a read or write buttons,"Read Full Contents, "Modify VIN, ect.

If someone could lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks you.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Having some issues with PCM Hammer, it is not asking what device to use. Not sure how operate this software, looked on youtube with not much success, now I don't have a bench harness done yet, if that matters at this time, and I am using the Obdlink SX device.
I don't see a read or write buttons,"Read Full Contents, "Modify VIN, ect.

If someone could lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks you.
What version of PCM Hammer are you using??
This is what your screen should look like:

Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, making some head way, it's been mostly operator and updating.
But I do not an option for Com 4, only Select or Mock Port for Serial Port.
Not sure what to do now.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:57 PM
9 Second Club

You'd need to go into device manager and see what comm port yours has been assigned to. It may not be com 4
Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In PCM Hammer the com port selection will display what ever ports are avaible. Now if you had a bunch of com ports listed you might need to sort out what device goes to what but in this case if your not getting any com port being displayed I'd suspect that the drivers for the SX where not installed by Windows automatically. So at this point your still going to have to go into the device manager to see if its even showing up but I suspect that your not going to see if listed as an avaible device.

What version of widows are you running this on BTW?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I got it to communicate, again operator error, must of deleted the updated driver for the SX, all is good for now.

Thank you guys!!!!

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)