Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen and HP Tuners 3.6.26

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
So here is my experience. I received the new box and of course, it still does the exact same thing. My brain has been telling me the whole time that it wasn't the box but i didn't listen. I just took tech's advice, shame on me. So i email them back and they give me the same old nonsense when someone doesn't know "the car has a wiring issue". But then they follow that with "it might be the cable". The $35 dollar cable? Probably should have started with that but fine, whatever. I asked for a pin out and they say they don't provide it and then tell me to try to bench flash etc etc. So I do a small search and find a pin out of the cable on their own damn forum. Do a continuity test and boom, VPW circuit is smoked. The end, problem solved. Overnight a cable from Summit Racing. So it brings the total cost to around $400 bucks (granted I overnighted the 35 dollar cable). Lesson learned. I should have trusted myself and did some further snooping instead of depending on them but I didn't. However, I feel they should have released that info about the cable, at least just the VPW circuit since that's the main issue. Virtually everyone has a multi meter but not everyone has a bench harness. This could have been a quick fix that turned into a debacle.
How does HP Tuners tech department not know that a smoked VPW circuit could be one of the reasons why it wasn't working and why didn't they suggest trying the cheapest solutions first? This is basic 101 trouble shooting.

Should tech departments start hiring customers as technical consultants?
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Welcome me to the world of HP tuner support.....or lack there of. LOL I bought mine brand new and later when I had a communication issue they gave me the same type of short, nonhelpful BS. Luckily a computer super nerd took the time to get me fixed up and eventually HP helped out. After spending such an amount of money on something, I felt put out but it is such a useful thing to have I ain't giving it up. I just try and get more computer savvy as I go.
I am a dope and this is coming from a guy who worked in the tuning industry. I used to pin out the cable for people having issues before I had them send tools in for RMA. Anyway lesson learned, all is well that ends well. Still annoyed that it could have simply cost me 35 bucks but whatever.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
How does HP Tuners tech department not know that a smoked VPW circuit could be one of the reasons why it wasn't working and why didn't they suggest trying the cheapest solutions first? This is basic 101 trouble shooting.

Should tech departments start hiring customers as technical consultants?
This was my main argument with him. He stated its hard to diagnose a cable. I JUST DID IT. It took me two seconds with a multi meter. I used to help do this for a living and I always went to the cable first, 9/10 it was a broken wire inside the cable itself. However I figured this guy should know so I will just take his word on it.

ANYWAY, I received my cable from Summit Racing today since I overnighted it and it works perfectly now. Lesson learned!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Here you go guys, here is the pin out of the cable just in case anyone else has an issue! This was posted by user "umrjmac" on the HPtuners forums.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well dang... sucks you had to go thru all that only to replace the cable for the fix. Thanks for the diagram, i saved that off for future reference in case i ever need to refer back to it.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yep saving that. someday i'll make shorty cable so i dont have 8' coiled up and ziptied to my dash.