PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HELP!!! HP Tuners MPVI 2 wont connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! HP Tuners MPVI 2 wont connect

so i just bought and received the new HP tuners mpvi 2... so happy to finally be able to read my truck and send files for tuning, i rip it open and get all set up!!
i run out to my truck (2000 chevy 1500 5.3) and connect it and try to read the truck and thats where it all went down hill.. i keep getting a "detecting protocol failed" no matter what i do i cant get it to read!!!
I checked the fuse for cig lighter/obd
made sure battery was charged and even tried connected to my duramax via jumpers
all accessories are off
OBD light on interface blinks

so i start fearing the worst... and get the idea to connect to my dmax and see what itll do, worked flawlessly... so now im REALLLYYYY stressing as im leaning towards being a pcm/wiring issue!!
i took a break to chill and try to think of other things to try... then the amazing idea of plugging into my wife's 2005 yukon 5.3, which is BONE stock except for LED lights and Pioneer head unit, and BOOMM same EXACT issue.. HP won't read it what so ever and just keeps giving to "Failed Protocol" error.. im pretty much out of ideas! i've obviously wrote HP's support line but after reading about their "support" don't know if this will get me anywhere or not....
ALLL software is "up to date" and brand new!! has NEVER tuned anything... sadly!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the 2000 1500 also have an aftermarket radio with an adapter? If so it is interfering with the data bus. I would suspect the same is happening with the 2005 Yukon.

Disable the aftermarket radio harness and try to read / scan / flash the vehicles. Sometimes pulling the radio fuse is enough but I've had times where I had to physically unplug the aftermarket harness to get things working. Once you are finished scanning / flashing you can reinstall the radio fuse or harness.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Does the 2000 1500 also have an aftermarket radio with an adapter? If so it is interfering with the data bus. I would suspect the same is happening with the 2005 Yukon.

Disable the aftermarket radio harness and try to read / scan / flash the vehicles. Sometimes pulling the radio fuse is enough but I've had times where I had to physically unplug the aftermarket harness to get things working. Once you are finished scanning / flashing you can reinstall the radio fuse or harness.

im def gonna try this now! I hope it’s the case!! I did try pulling the fuses with no luck, but I’ll try pulling the harness!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This whole hptuners thing has been a clusterfuck.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

tell me about it!!!! The haven’t changed HP tuners in what? 10 years? And now they try and make it better and it doesn’t even work on their most popular system?? Like seriously? Maybe they released it a bit early...

to to make matters even more fucked... they want me to send back my BRAND NEW interface to be “bench tested” are you ******* kidding me??!! I JUST bought the damn thing from you... and you JUST released it. What more testing does it need???!!!!

highly frustrated with them at the moment.. but they don’t seem to give a ****, there will be another dummy to take my place if I decide to throw their **** in the trash can!
Old 06-18-2018, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

second
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I went through this with my hp tuners and figured it out myself after HP suggested a buy a new interface, which wasn't necessary.

What year is the dmax you put it on that DID work? Sounds like the VPW circuit is toast on the unit. On my unit, it was a break in the cable causing the vpw circuit to not connect. No connect = detect protocol fail. In your case, its the blue tooth dongle right?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey guys, sending back an interface gives us the opportunity to see the problem first hand, and helps our engineers resolve the problem faster. I apologize for the inconvenience, and understand your frustration. We do care about all of our customers, and are tying to make the process as painless as possible. If you could send me your ticket number I can look into it for you?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

load this and you should be good
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-for-windows
Old 06-27-2018, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nhoj_yelbom

it wont, you have to send back any MPVI2 that has issues connecting to older GMs.. they haven’t shared what the issue was/is but I do know they treated me fairly and paid next day air in both directions!! And fixed it within a couple days... I just got it back Monday and haven’t had the chance to test it yet, but I’m sure it’ll be good
Old 09-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Default Mpvi2 wont connect

Have you found the solution yet? I'm haveing the same issue on a 2002 5.3. the device powers on but won't detect the obd signal
Old 09-01-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

email them to start a ticket. you'll have to send it back.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eazygreezy
Have you found the solution yet? I'm haveing the same issue on a 2002 5.3. the device powers on but won't detect the obd signal

yea you’ll have to send it In... they overnighted mine both ways so it was pretty quick. Works fine now
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Shouldnt of released the damn thing till it was ready I say.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sadly I agree.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up

I could not agree with you more...by far the most complicated pain in the *** thing on the market. I'm sure when it works it is wonderful and fun and all that. So far...thumbs DOWN; although I have to say the staff at HP TUNERS has been great.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! HP Tuners MPVI 2 wont connect