PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running ac with an ms3 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running ac with an ms3 camaro?

like the title says, I'm just curious if anyone is running the factory ac with any mega squirt product and how they did it on a camaro/ trans am. I know the compressor will run with 12v signal but has anyone wired in any safeties?

any input is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Teching In

would this type of switch work for protecting the ac system? I could always check the ac pressure on the low side at the beginning of the season to verify it is full. I would put this in place of the factory sensor on the high side line.

High Pressure Switch Normally Closed, Closes 270 psi. Opens 485 psi., 10mm x 1.25 Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Teching In

okay so after looking all day I'm pretty sure I found what I've been looking for. The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is if the threads are 1.25 pitch, I'll just find out the hard way. I also had the pigtail from something in my tool box already so I should be set to go. 22-51296-000 this is the part number for a binary switch for a freightliner, the pressures look to be about right so I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Teching In

That should definetly work. I would wire it to an output on the ms going trough the pressure swith so you can set up some rules and have ms turn the compressor off at x rpm or load but the switch will also turn it off if pressure is exceeded. You also want to wire the ac input, which will come from your climate control unit that way you can iddle up with the ac on. And the fans of course.
I have seen a diy ac controller for ms, but i think that would be more appropiate for vehicles were the ac is 100% controlled by the factory ecu.
I'm pretty sure you could also use the factory pressure sensor, as an input into ms, but you'll need to find or figure out the voltage vs pressure on that sensor. Then have an output reference the conditions of the pressure input to control the clutch and fans. I hope it makes sense.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 AM
Teching In

so I should be able to take my ac output from my hvac ac button and run that into the ms and program it so when the ms sees that signal it energizes another output that will go to my pressure switch then to the ac relay to power the clutch?
If that is true then the fans should be pretty easy too, I should be able to take that same output going to the ac relay and split that off with and put a diode inline to trigger my cooling fan relay as well correct? Or can I just tell the ms that when it sees the input from the hvac to turn the ac relay output on and turn the fans on at the same time?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Teching In

You got it. That would be the second option i described using your factory pressure sensor. Now the fans, should be ok the way you described. But i would look into having the ms control them so you could shut them off at x speed, since the fans turning with the vehicle moving at x speed can actually act more then a restriction.
Just have to get creative and make it work.
I have my fans wired so i can revesre them and suck hot air out of the engine bay in between passes. Just a few extra relays and wiring.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Teching In

that is true, if i have the ac signal wired to the fan relay then I would lose my fan control over a certain speed, unless I can somehow use a separate output that can look at both ac request and vehicle speed and tell it to turn on the fan unless vehicle speed is over xx mph. I haven't played around with the software to much to know if I could do something like that. Do you run Mega Squirt? That's a good idea to run the fans backwards between runs, is there a noticeable difference doing it that way?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Ya it definetly makes a difference getting that heat out of the engine bay. I run this thing off a megasquirt 2 in a g body. 427 dart little m. 2x 68mm turbos
16 injectors, running staggered, meth injection. Turbo bypass( the computer will allow me to route all the exhaust to one turbo while launching to build boost quicker, then progressively transition to the other one.
All boost control is done by the ecu, together with traction control. My trans brake is also controlled by the ecu. On cheater mode i use a photocell that will tell the computer when to release the tbrake when the tree changes with hatever delay i program to it. (Not legal) fuel pumps, fans and water pumps for the intercooler and ac is also controlled by the ecu.
The 4l80 runs off the stock computer and is programed with hpt. Just have to feed it 12v, rpm, map, tps and vss and is gtg.