PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HP Tuners users heads up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018 | 02:29 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by NicD
Since their licensing model works off of the OSID/VIN pairing wouldn't you in fact be requesting something for free at that point? You certainly didn't need to flash a new OS onto your PCM so it's nice that it was an option for you to do so.
I did need to flash the new OS onto my PCM. In my situation, I used credits to license my 2000 OS and found out after the fact that it had to be flashed to the 2002 OS to enable me to access the table in the image below, which cost an additional $100 in credits. As a consumer what should I have done to avoid wasting $100 in extra credits? Should I have gone with EFI Live instead?

Old 10-16-2018 | 02:31 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
.....Should I have gone with EFI Live instead?
I literally just did this to 1 of my cars with EFI Live, no extra credits required.....so yes, you should have gone EFI Live.
Old 10-16-2018 | 02:44 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I literally just did this to 1 of my cars with EFI Live, no extra credits required.....so yes, you should have gone EFI Live.
Now I know and knowing is half the battle.
Old 10-16-2018 | 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I did need to flash the new OS onto my PCM. In my situation, I used credits to license my 2000 OS and found out after the fact that it had to be flashed to the 2002 OS to enable me to access the table in the image below, which cost an additional $100 in credits. As a consumer what should I have done to avoid wasting $100 in extra credits? Should I have gone with EFI Live instead?
If you are working on more than just a few then you should make preparations and likely get unlimited for year/model or platform etc. Paying for each customer that comes in out of your pocket $100 each time is a poor business practice vs getting unlimited setups. There are much easier ways to do this people. It may be more expensive up front, but well worth it after.

Old 10-16-2018 | 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by subeone
Edited as doug edited his posts

well **** man, I tried
Old 10-17-2018 | 12:20 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The core concern of EPA is GlobalA systems and your best friend, OnStar. Thats how they be catchin you fools

Older systems, not so much
Old 10-17-2018 | 01:19 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Or you simply email HP Tuners and ask them to add the corresponding table like I've done tons of times and a week later it's there. BTW that table is currently there in the editor for a 2000 f-body.
Old 10-17-2018 | 01:22 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cam
The core concern of EPA is GlobalA systems and your best friend, OnStar. Thats how they be catchin you fools

Older systems, not so much
Tell that to HP Tuners, SCT, and the handful of shops that have been hammered lately that work on many more things than just Global A platforms or vehicles that have onstar.
Old 10-17-2018 | 02:07 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The tuning co's offer software for vehicle ENHANCEMENT. End user outcome is NOT on any of the manufacturers of software.
Old 10-17-2018 | 02:34 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cam
The tuning co's offer software for vehicle ENHANCEMENT. End user outcome is NOT on any of the manufacturers of software.
You are acting like calling it an enhancement and playing with words is going to prevent something from happening when it already has, look at the latest with SCT / Derive Systems and the settlement they just came to with the EPA. Don't forget the diesel tuning companies that got hammered as well and settlements with a few shops. Whether it's software or hardware the end result is the same and the EPA isn't playing around anymore. There is more in the pipe I promise you, just wait and watch the fall out over the next year or two.
Old 10-17-2018 | 02:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

You are acting like calling it an enhancement and playing with words is going to prevent something from happening when it already has, look at the latest with SCT / Derive Systems and the settlement they just came to with the EPA. Don't forget the diesel tuning companies that got hammered as well and settlements with a few shops. Whether it's software or hardware the end result is the same and the EPA isn't playing around anymore. There is more in the pipe I promise you, just wait and watch the fall out over the next year or two.
I'm not acting like anything. Im stating a simple fact. Why dont you take up suit against Winchester, Colt, Smith and Wesson for end user problems... the EPA's position here is completely bogus

Old 10-17-2018 | 03:03 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cam
I'm not acting like anything. Im stating a simple fact. Why dont you take up suit against Winchester, Colt, Smith and Wesson for end user problems... the EPA's position here is completely bogus
Huh? Dude it's already happened, fines were distributed, companies were shut down, changes have already been made to licensing agreements, etc. The long dick of the federal government doesn't care about what you think is bogus or what isn't, you're still going to get fucked. I'm not going to argue with you about what you think about it or what I think about it, facts are facts.
Old 10-17-2018 | 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The long dick of the federal government doesn't care about what you think is bogus or what isn't, you're still going to get fucked.
^^^^^^^^^^^This IS the bottom line.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-17-2018 | 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
Hate to leave topic, but this is a good subject. Bogus is right, but I think the newest administration is reeling in the EPA and it will save the tuning hobby. Their budget is getting cut and they are being "directed" to back off quite a bit in this area.

EDIT: the initial budget cuts were overridden but Trump Administration continues to try to derail the EPA. This was his original plan, what they landed on was quite a bit less:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

Trump has not been unclear on the subject of car emissions and pollution, eliminating Obama's MPG requirements for upcoming new cars for example:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17...-gas-emissions

They do indeed have tremendous unilateral power. I remember when "O2 simulators" used to be on Ebay "for offroad use only", but that disclaimer wasn't enough and they were banned and manufacturer fined:

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/casp...-clean-air-act

I can see HPTuner's disclaimer also falling short when it can be demonstrated that 75% of the rear O2 delete tunes are street driven cars, IF the current administration doesn't reel them back as I expect will happen. Rear O2 delete (and other "offending" features) absolutely could be outlawed, but I think we will just dodge that bullet while this administration is in place IMO.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 10-17-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2018 | 04:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Sounds like they hired the wrong lawyers or this is a pony show in attempt to scare other would be tuning suite designers off course. Regardless if this indeed went as you say? What companies were shut down? Remember the government is our elected representatives, they work for us, not the other way round. Bureaucracies have gotten WAY out of hand forgetting who works for who and it sounds like this is one that got out of hand.

Appeal to the moon, this is bogus
Old 10-17-2018 | 04:49 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
Hate to leave topic, but this is a good subject. Bogus is right, but I think the newest administration is reeling in the EPA and it will save the tuning hobby. Their budget is getting cut and they are being "directed" to back off quite a bit in this area.

EDIT: the initial budget cuts were overridden but Trump Administration continues to try to derail the EPA. This was his original plan, what they landed on was quite a bit less:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

Trump has not been unclear on the subject of car emissions and pollution, eliminating Obama's MPG requirements for upcoming new cars for example:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17...-gas-emissions

They do indeed have tremendous unilateral power. I remember when "O2 simulators" used to be on Ebay "for offroad use only", but that disclaimer wasn't enough and they were banned and manufacturer fined:

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/casp...-clean-air-act

I can see HPTuner's disclaimer also falling short when it can be demonstrated that 75% of the rear O2 delete tunes are street driven cars, IF the current administration doesn't reel them back as I expect will happen. Rear O2 delete (and other "offending" features) absolutely could be outlawed, but I think we will just dodge that bullet while this administration is in place IMO.
Interesting thanks.

Whats totally nuts is anyone can wire up a raspberry pi to control an engine nowadays. Mega squert, Holley, all sorts of others I have seen on tuner cars. People will simply jump to another platform or solution. You buy it? You own it.
Old 10-17-2018 | 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The govt works for special interest groups and lobbyists. That is why the EPA does what it does.

When was the last time we got to vote on any sort of statewide mandate/law or federal law? Do you REALLY think your state or federal congressman has your interests in mind? Dont kid yourself.

Old 10-17-2018 | 05:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Used to work for special interest groups, thats ancient history now. No longer is the TV and newspaper the only outlet for information and people are waking up every minute these days and thats accelerating. We my friends are living in the information age, and the information is out there. All those over reaching hardcore totalitarian types are in for one heck of a wake up call in the days ahead. Sense will prevail
Old 10-17-2018 | 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sense? Youve been watching the news, correct? There is a lack of that in the general public and on both sides of the aisle.

This is getting too political though.
Old 10-17-2018 | 07:00 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Sense? Youve been watching the news, correct? There is a lack of that in the general public and on both sides of the aisle.

This is getting too political though.
I've been learning much, yes. Little to none of it on TV hence my earlier comments. Yes you are correct the unfortunate reality of today is everything is one step away from a political viewpoint. Looks to me like the recent push is more about locking down the property on the system controller is becoming a priority for some of the big players out there. Its not only auto its in many outfits. The temptation is hard to resist though, you take a car in for service that has code by design that isnt up to snuff which is all but impossible to prove without a tuning suite to access it, and then updates are $150 a crack all at the push of a button that some stoned tech can perform with no training so speak of. Its paint by numbers for the tech, and flash by dollars for the manufacturers. Thats what it looks like

Ownership is key though, leased vehicles your toast but once you own it? Do what you want with it, at your own risk of course. Tunes on the table? Warranty is off. That I can digest, but removing tools from our tool kit? Nope. No way no how do I condone that move in any which way shape or form