PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

HP Tuners users heads up

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018 | 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

I just had a welding/fab repair job on a sod harvester. The owner opened my eyes to this bullshittery.

​​​​​​https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...inian-firmware
Old 10-19-2018 | 11:27 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I love it. John Deere can pound sand.
Old 10-19-2018 | 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Wow that's crazy. Ya **** John Deere
Old 10-19-2018 | 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

tin foil hat time

its not just JD they all do it.

imagine trying to work on your Tesla yourself. aint no haynes manual for that.

eventually we'll all be too poor to afford to own anything. we'll have to lease or rent with no ownership rights.

we'll just "owe our soul to the company store" so to speak.
Old 10-19-2018 | 03:37 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

The thing of it all is that with the hacked software, the farmers CAN fix it themselves.

If the manufacturers make it so that it's too costly, it effects the supply and demand curve and they will go under while a competitor comes along, sees their mistakes, and takes their market share with the understanding that they will not be as profitable due to allowing owners to work on their own ****.

Eventually it will be "make what I'm willing to pay for or I won't buy it".

Customer is always right and dictates what is produced in the end. Who ever caters to the biggest audience, gets the $$.
Old 10-20-2018 | 08:13 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Tuning software should be included in every machine. Build it right in for service and maintenance. Huge market opportunity there
Old 10-26-2018 | 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

hey big win for us tinkerers. The copyright office changed their approach to the DMCA

​​​​​​https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

however it does not pertain to any software as far as i can tell ( do not speak legalese )
Old 10-26-2018 | 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by NicD
No I'm not going to elaborate but it's already affecting established companies and tuner shops, look at SCT/Bully Dog and you will see what's coming down the pipe for others and it's not pretty. Things are already being removed and it's going to affect everybody.
As soon as I saw that bully dog settlement I figured it was the beginning of the end.
Old 11-15-2018 | 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckdoug
hey big win for us tinkerers. The copyright office changed their approach to the DMCA

​​​​​​https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

however it does not pertain to any software as far as i can tell ( do not speak legalese )
Old thread I know, diverging slightly to copyright side of things, but wanted to comment on the new information this since I was researching it, not able to really digest it all right now. Apparently now an individual is permitted to circumvent protections on their own motor vehicle PCM using a third party tool(?), but a third party apparently needs to be careful to not participate in "trafficking in circumvention services" by doing it for people out of the scope of "self help"...? Would be nice if someone in the legal industry could explain this is laymen terms: October 26, 2018 (paste - the update to the rule)

"How has the exemption for diagnosis, repair, and lawful modification of motorized land vehicles been expanded, and what does that mean for third-party assistance?

In 2015, the Acting Librarian granted an exemption allowing motor vehicle owners to circumvent technological measures protecting in-vehicle computer programs in order to engage in diagnosis, repair, or lawful modification of a vehicle function. Eligibility for the exemption was limited to the “authorized owner” of such a vehicle.

The newly adopted exemption removes this limitation. As discussed in the Acting Register’s Recommendation, the record in this proceeding indicated that diagnosis, repair, and lawful modification activities engaged in by third parties is likely to be noninfringing in many circumstances. To be clear, however, circumvention engaged in by a third party on behalf of another person may run afoul of the prohibition on trafficking in circumvention services under section 1201(a)(2) and (b). The Librarian is not authorized to adopt exemptions to those provisions. Therefore, any third party seeking to exercise this exemption must consider whether its activities separately could give rise to liability under the anti-trafficking provisions. The Acting Register expresses no view on whether any particular forms of third-party assistance may or may not implicate those provisions."

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/faqs.html

There is a PDF located here discusses trafficking https://www.copyright.gov/policy/120...ull-report.pdf :

"Anti‐Trafficking Provisions. The Office agrees with the many copyright owners who maintain that the anti‐trafficking provisions provide critical enforcement tools against digital piracy. At the same time, the Office recognizes that uncertainty over the reach of those provisions may prevent some users from taking full advantage of exemptions to which they are entitled pursuant to the rulemaking. In response to this concern, the Office concludes:
Beneficiaries of exemptions should themselves be able to develop necessary tools solely for their own use in carrying out exempted circumventions. We do not believe, however, that legislative change is currently needed to effectuate that right. Such action appears premature, as no court has suggested that the bar on the “manufacture” of circumvention tools extends to beneficiaries engaging in self‐help. More fundamentally, the statutory text and structure indicate that this provision was not intended to cover such activity; instead, the language is best read to apply only in connection with trafficking conduct.
In cases where beneficiaries cannot themselves make use of an exemption, the Office believes that it is important to allow users to seek assistance in making use of that exemption. As raised in the most recent rulemaking, the Office does recommend amending section 1201 to expressly grant the Librarian discretion to adopt temporary regulatory exemptions that permit third‐party assistance “at the direction of” an intended user. This change would extend to the entire rulemaking the authority to adopt exemptions similar in scope to exemptions for the unlocking of wireless devices, as mandated by Congress in the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act.4
Prior to a legislative solution, the Office will seek to avoid defining classes of persons eligible for exemptions overly narrowly in future rulemaking proceedings, which may allow for more effective use of the granted exemptions."

I realize this is all copyright stuff and not EPA stuff but important nonetheless, as that's the roadblock farmers hit with Deere from what I understand.
Old 11-15-2018 | 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

I'll have to get my wife to translate that into english for me
Old 11-15-2018 | 03:17 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

You bought it, you own it.

Thats the nuts and bolts of the law. They are reaching here with some of this and using trafficking law? How odd. All this mess and legal cost could be 100% avoided if they simply included the tuning module the OEM's use in the OS. Its not difficult at all to do this. Then there would be no need to crack anything and the software would be safe from fly by night types and opened up copyrighted info bouncing all over the net as a result. Who would ever want to crack something you can already tune? As if any of us are going to volunteer to do useless work or mods to our vehicles? The only people who might want to crack it would be competitors which would make catching them and pursuing legal options so easy because it would be easy to find them.

Chasing owners down and making their lives harder to OWN the product YOUR SELLING? Talk about a gigantic branding fail. The bus out of that station has a line a million strong at jump.

I dunno, business with some of these tech peeps makes no sense at all to me. Imagine Holley in the carb days saying JETS were proprietary tech and only they could install or sell them? Whats the difference?

Ufff. Anyways at least the average joe appears to be off the hook.
Old 02-04-2019 | 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

A little birdie told me that the hptuners crack will be distributed in the torrent networks oversees in the next couple of days.🤷🏾dum♂️ 3.7 and 4.0.2 so be on the look out on your favorite space pirate websites. Aaaaarrrrggghhh
Old 02-05-2019 | 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
A little birdie told me that the hptuners crack will be distributed in the torrent networks oversees in the next couple of days.🤷🏾dum♂️ 3.7 and 4.0.2 so be on the look out on your favorite space pirate websites. Aaaaarrrrggghhh
Its been out for a year now.
Old 02-05-2019 | 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

At some point a Megaquirt or another stand alone, will be less money and hassle. I'll hang on to the stock computer for when it has to drive through a test station. Since my ride is pre 1996 and OBD1, its test at idle only in my area.. And it qualifies for Antique auto plates at the end of the year.
Old 02-05-2019 | 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by subeone
that didn't require paying for unlimited credits?
Old 02-05-2019 | 09:09 AM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by subeone
Yup, and the people who have downloaded it and used it probably already have impending litigation notices from HPT.
Old 02-05-2019 | 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

there was a guy on here just recently, first post, asking where to get it lol
Old 02-05-2019 | 10:00 AM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NicD
Yup, and the people who have downloaded it and used it probably already have impending litigation notices from HPT.
How exactly would HPT know since its not a network license?
Old 02-05-2019 | 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

and that thread magically disappeared...
Old 02-05-2019 | 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
How exactly would HPT know since its not a network license?
my thoughts exactly.