Old 04-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the update. Good info!
Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cb2004mj
just an update ELQUEfor, gonna swap over to "tasker" app, cost $3 but i am going to use it to turn off display and wifi,gps, etc when power removed and re-enable when power applied. this will put it full standby mode without the hassle of powering off and locking, etc. some of the issue with the auto off thing. also once you turn off data services and screen, the device will stay with power for several weeks since most everything that draws power is off, also allows very quick boots to be ready to roll. which using this as my main gauges is nice to have. still playing with it tho, if anyone has better ideas please post up
Thanks man. Please keep us updated.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

so thus far, using tasker. I'm able to setup a few different profiles. i suggest watching a YouTube video or two prior to downloading and messing with the app. however keep in mind the app has changed layouts/design over the year so some of the videos wont be walk throughs but rather gee wiz info to get you going. the app is stupid simple and i actually over thought the process at first. now onto the things i setup to control

so i have a few "profiles" these are what commands actions on the tablet. first one is when screen is off, data/Wi-Fi/gps are all turned off after 4 min. (inputting a wait time if beneficial to ensure all processes are completed before standby) then i setup screen off in two profiles, one for removal of AC power. the other for removal of USB power. both of these have wait times i setup for 30 min(so i can still see gauges etc. for short stops, in-between track runs, etc.) then i have a profile for the device to launch the torque app(or real-dash...not settled yet.....thanks Joe haha) this launch is triggered via power applied. i have my tablet with no security lock so this not only wakes the screen and therefore restarts data/wifi/Gps but also opens my gauge app and torque you can set to load directly to "realdash" so as soon as ignition power is applied my tablet comes up, unlocks and loads my gauges. as soon as it powers off(thirty min later) the screen turns off with all data and such and goes full standby. there is still power draw as the tablet is still "on" but all your power drawing services are off. too soon to tell but thus far after letting it sit 48 hrs. i unlocked the tablet(no power just unlock button to wake) and it was at 97% battery....if math serves me proper and no other variables present themselves, then at this rate the tablet will maintain battery power for just over 66 days without ignition. also because its not fully off, it boots quick as hell!

if someone else more tech savy has some input or profiles they suggest, etc please share
Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if someone else more tech savy has some input or profiles they suggest, etc please share
Likewise.... Also, please keep us updated on this as you continue to experiment with it... I'm sure I'm not the only one reading and digesting it.... Really, what you're doing is pretty tech savy as far as I'm concerned lol, solid!!!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

this is where I'm at meow. It's so difficult to find a tight 90 degree micro USB that either aims down or is tight to the device. I bought this thin ribbon cable one...the cables tight, but the plug sticks out 3/8" or more. I got it to fit. Just basically venting that there isnt anything worthwhile for this job I've found yet lol. Anyways, figured someone would like to see the setup. Basically removed trim, gauge cluster. Then Dissasembled the cluster by removing gauges and then cutting out the cluster bezel trim. Then traced that on to some lexan, made all my gauge cuts and painted the back black. Then drilled and screwed it to the oem bezel and installed.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Launching!

I've been monkeying w/ the factory gauges on my car - need to break out the o-scope to look at the signal to the gauges. No speedo, or fuel. But more than once I've almost picked up a tablet for this instead.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is where I'm at meow. It's so difficult to find a tight 90 degree micro USB that either aims down or is tight to the device. I bought this thin ribbon cable one...the cables tight, but the plug sticks out 3/8" or more. I got it to fit. Just basically venting that there isnt anything worthwhile for this job I've found yet lol. Anyways, figured someone would like to see the setup. Basically removed trim, gauge cluster. Then Dissasembled the cluster by removing gauges and then cutting out the cluster bezel trim. Then traced that on to some lexan, made all my gauge cuts and painted the back black. Then drilled and screwed it to the oem bezel and installed.
Looks pretty bitchin to me dude! Torque was the one (and only) app I have fiddled around with when I was playing with this little side project lol.

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
I've been monkeying w/ the factory gauges on my car - need to break out the o-scope to look at the signal to the gauges. No speedo, or fuel. But more than once I've almost picked up a tablet for this instead.
I had a silly-scope once, it was busted and thus never could spend quality time playing around with it getting comfortable with using one. I wanna say typical GM speedo is 4k PPM sine wave. Or is it square wave? My ignorance from lack of scope time is showing lol.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Buddy of mine pointed out that the small o-scopes DSO 112A have good reviews and are cheap and portable. Works for what I use it for. Setting audio signals and looking at my lack of speedo signal lol. Signal should be 4k pulses per mile. Believe its a positive pulse. should show up as a square wave I imagine.

CB2004mj, what's the pod to the left of the tablet? Reflection kinda blocks the gauge.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

That's the aem tru-boost sir. Aem x-aego or whatever wideband on the right.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would it be possible to monitor ethanol content with any of these apps?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by andy burdess
Would it be possible to monitor ethanol content with any of these apps?
In theory, the newer cars that can run e85 have a sensor that can tell that info. I'm sure there'd be a pid for it. But it would only be on newer cars that are e85 capable.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

that answer depends on several things, first does the torque or whatever app your using allow that gauge. then does the ecu monitor that item. third is there an actual sensor to monitor it accurately. and last, is there a proper PID input for the app to see it. so assuming the app sees it and you can generate the proper formula for the pid, your only real hardware issue is seeing if your ecu model can support. my P59 will support but doesn't have a physical sensor, i pinned in a compensation sensor and changed it within hptuners from estimated to actual sensor reading. so I'm hoping to be able to monitor it with my setup. haven't got that far and i don't have E85 anywhere near me unfortunately.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that answer depends on several things, first does the torque or whatever app your using allow that gauge. then does the ecu monitor that item. third is there an actual sensor to monitor it accurately. and last, is there a proper PID input for the app to see it. so assuming the app sees it and you can generate the proper formula for the pid, your only real hardware issue is seeing if your ecu model can support. my P59 will support but doesn't have a physical sensor, i pinned in a compensation sensor and changed it within hptuners from estimated to actual sensor reading. so I'm hoping to be able to monitor it with my setup. haven't got that far and i don't have E85 anywhere near me unfortunately.
I’m running a flex os on p59 with sensor. just wondered if it would work for cheap content gauge.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

so just a little bump and update. tasker isn't fully completing all tasks at all times as directed. some times she powers down like needed. other times she doesnt. thinking about making a backup profile where ill have battery saver kick in at like 45% battery and that will trigger tasker to shut down as well. so if it doesn't power off normally then shell power off with battery saver. then when ignition triggers back wakeup, shell atleast have a good bit of battery life to use for short drives etc, longer drives the more shell recharge. also going to look into downloading some new "themes" in torque. basically the gauge color and layout. not liking what i have now so hopefuly i find some cool ones. need to readjust pids for some things like trans temp and such. not getting all the data id like just yet. but i also haven't spent a bunch of time with this. getting trans brake, nitrous, and other things setup has been more of a priority lol.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the update! Take some pics so we can see the new layouts.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

nothing really to take pics of, just messing with the themes already on torque, haven't found any others easily downloaded worth looking at yet. and i don't really want to pay for anything, because if i did it would be the $85 for real-dash and give that a try as Joe suggested previously.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

so the Bluetooth adapter seems to be finicky in my setup. its a BAFX3127 adapter. great reviews for the price. i just emailed BAFX directly as they will offer help and warrenty if needed it seems. but my adapter keeps not communicating with torque. also...and maybe some of you gents with more experience with it can offer help...i cant get all the PIDS i need displayed, now I'm a little iffy on how to setup custom pids in torqu, especially since everything i find on how tos is for older models of torque so menus have changed etc. but i need oil pressure, trans temp, and some others to display but they wont. i loaded the gmc pids as supposedly that one has more but didn't help any. the pain for me is i have hptuners three feet away displaying all of them but i cant watch my laptop all day and drive lol
Old 07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

side note, if someone knows retard instructions for how to input custom pids in torque and can show me...can i take the PID data from hptuners and use that to correlate the sensor? basically use the hptuners PID info and put it in torque?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

founds some info on using the gm,vauxhall, etc preset pid pack and itll display oil temp, trans temp, etc but it wont on mine and disabled faster communication without luck. tried adding custom pid for current gear but had no luck there either. it showed gear 56....min was 0, max was 6, so idk how it even goes that high lol. anyways, just to give more info. ill keep messing with it more
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Torque is about my least favorite OBD app for tablets.

Its great for scanning codes, spot checking temps, checking boost levels in OEM cars without a boost gauge, etc.
Terrible for a gauge cluster.