Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Innovate wideband issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Innovate wideband issue

so after about three years of flawless operation, my wideband is not working. But I think it may be self induced, sort of. Working fine till I tried plugging in the serial cable to try and log afr on my hp tuners software. Would not pick it up for nothing. Then I noticed the guage was flashing 9.6. Then I noticed the damn wires on my innovate cable did not match the wores onnthe lc2 controller. The blue and the black were swapped. Wtf. So now my wideband is inop. I tried recalibrating it. Nope. I checked wiring. I tried to connect it to my laptop and maybe update the firmware, it won’t connect. Looks like innovate sent me a defective cable. Damn. I bought it all a long time ago and this is the first time I tried to use it. Ugh. Anyone seen it do this? Basically it flasjes 7.4 for a free seconds, then it shows 12.2 for about 25 seconds and then flashes 9.6 constantly.....no matter if the car is running or not.

If this one is dead, what other wideband could I get? Can I still use my innovate green dB guage with something else? Thx
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

**** man I jinx'd ya
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by truckdoug
**** man I jinx'd ya

lololol

wanna know whats really funny? I thought of you as soon as it started acting up.

Had i I never tried to plug it into my laptop, I wouldn’t be having this problem tho. I’m undecided what to do. I definitely don’t feel safe running the car without it, so I need to get something. I could buy just the controller for $150 but if I’m going to spend that I might as well spend $30 more and get a new sensor and guage. And if I’m gonna spend $180.....I might as well get something better lol. Is the aem any better?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been using an AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge for the past 18 months or so. I use it exclusively as a serial input on my laptop for HP Tuners and the gauge is mounted in a box I wired up so it's portable. It's been a real trooper.
I detailed the box install here: My AEM 30-0300 portable install
Old 11-11-2018, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Anyone use or heard of an apsx d2 wideband? Newish one to the market and it’s $133 shipped complete.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

When shopping for a wideband kit replacement, if a Bosch sensor is part of the package, make sure to get a kit with Bosch 4.9 LSU sensor instead of the Bosch 4.2 LSU sensor. The 4.2 is an older version and getting hard to find as well. The 4.9 reads faster. The two are NOT interchangeable because of the harness connection point (male and female).

I had same issue with Innovate LC1 - lasted about a month. Got an AEM - 30-4100 and has been seems reliable even nearly a decade old, easy to install and instant on. Very easy to connect to EFI live even with V1 compared to the LC1.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-11-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never heard of the Apex D2. A quick search of their site showed the Apex D2 uses the older Bosch 4.2 sensor. The AEM 30-0300 I listed and have uses the newer 4.9 sensor and is only $43 more through our friends who ship things in smiling boxes.
I'm also not a fan of the older 4.2 sensor compared to the 4.9.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a good read. Perhaps the blame shouldn't be directed at the brand name of the kit and instead should be focused on the install and placment of the sensor and moisture content on initial startup and how the software in the kit handles startup.

http://www.nzefi.com/bosch-lsu-wide-...-applications/
Old 11-11-2018, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

as far as budget sensors i'm really happy with my PLX devices WB.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far for as long as it's been in my 98 I can't complain about my AEM 30-4100 with the LSU Bosch 4.2 sensor ( about 10 years) either.

That said American Racing racing welded on the sensor bung on their headers at my request which might be the reason the sensor has lasted for so long. Moisture appears to be the sensor killer. And the way my car spits out moisture on startup I am sure the sensor bung location has a lot to do with longevity of my Bosch 4.2 sensor.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to the 4.9 because of the harness connection and calibration of the 4.9 compared to the 4.2. So I would have to upgrade to the 30-4110 in order to get the better 4.9 sensor.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I’m confused as to which one to get. I read real good things about the aem x series but I don’t like how the guage looks and it’s read. All my other stuff is green. I think I’m just going to go back with the innovate. I know I know. I had good luck with mine for over three years. It matches and it now comes with the 4.9 sensor. I’m not sure which one I have but if mine matches then I don’t have to run wires again either. Which is a plus.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had insanely bad luck with innovate, so have others here.
There was a guy here that picked up 200 horsepower on the dyno switching to from Innovate to AEM and fixing the fueling issues that the Innovate had apparently been causing.

If you don't need a separate gauge, I always use the 14point7 Spartan2.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

To be fair to Innovate and the LC1 - I think now that my LC1 failed because of the way the bung was installed in the headers prior to replacing them with America Racing headers who installed the bung for me before shipping.

I didn't install the LC1. It was installed by a shop like many who think - "I don't need to read those instructions - I've been doing this for x number of years - I know all there is to know".In fact - when I removed it to try to replace the sensor - I had to remove my PCM first - because that's where they had installed all of the cable and the controller - behind the PCM. Go figure.

The bung location is critical especially for turbo cars so as NOT to overheat the sensor. So I would follow the mfg's instructions exactly when locating the sensor bung - else take your chances for long life for the sensor.

BTW - my tuner swears by Innovate as do a lot of users. As for using your Innovate gauge, AEM's instructions mention using other gauges. So you might call AEM Tech and ask them if you can use yours or not.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
To be fair to Innovate and the LC1 - I think now that my LC1 failed because of the way the bung was installed in the headers prior to replacing them with America Racing headers who installed the bung for me before shipping.

I didn't install the LC1. It was installed by a shop like many who think - "I don't need to read those instructions - I've been doing this for x number of years - I know all there is to know".In fact - when I removed it to try to replace the sensor - I had to remove my PCM first - because that's where they had installed all of the cable and the controller - behind the PCM. Go figure.

The bung location is critical especially for turbo cars so as NOT to overheat the sensor. So I would follow the mfg's instructions exactly when locating the sensor bung - else take your chances for long life for the sensor.

BTW - my tuner swears by Innovate as do a lot of users. As for using your Innovate gauge, AEM's instructions mention using other gauges. So you might call AEM Tech and ask them if you can use yours or not.
I have to wait about 20 mins till AEM opens but I'm gonna call them and see if my gauge will work. I actually had made an offer on ebay to a seller on a Innovate DB setup but he just countered my offer so i can get out of it as now. I was almost locked in to it, I really wanted to get something ordered this morning so i can have it by the weekend and maybe finish tuning and get to the track.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I just talked to innovate. I'm gonna send mine back and they can check it and if i need a sensor then i acn just buy that. If the controller or gauge is bad they can repair. I'm still buying a new one anyways, but this will allow me to have a portable setup to tune other stuff. I've turned down tune jobs because of that.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call first and see what Mike can do - but if you want by weekend with the holiday today - IMO the WS6 store has the best service.

I get overnight with DHL from Racetronix in CN sometimes for as little as $18 shipping.

Be clear, however, when selecting a shipper. USPS priority mail can takes days - much slower than UPS standard sometimes.
FEDEX delivers on Sat - UPS does not.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-12-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Just talked to AEM. nope it wont work with my gauge, The controller is built into their gauge, they sell an external controller to use with a gauge art gauge, the gauge art guage is only $350 by itself. Nah.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone have the PLX DM6? I'm liking that one. Is it fast? Accurate? I read bad things about PLX in a thread from several years back. Has that changed?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I could not make up my mind on what i wanted to do so I ordered another sensor. The controller actually recognizes when i unplug it so maybe its gone. It is over three years old. maybe 4. FOR ANYONE ELSE reading this and want to save about $40, the Bosch 17025 sensor is available for $63.49 on amazon, from the reviews it supposedly works with the Innovate and AEM units that take the 4.9 LSU sensor. FYI