PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM FRIED! CAN'T FIND NEW BCM for 1999 camaro ANYWHERE?! PLZ HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM FRIED! CAN'T FIND NEW BCM for 1999 camaro ANYWHERE?! PLZ HELP!?

1999 camaro z28 - My bcm has issues and in the process of trying to re-solder it the board popcorned on me from high moisture content and lifted a circuit trace bad.. (I should have known well enough to bake it in the oven on low before soldering to remove the moisture, I do this for a living, had I only known how hard replacing it would be ahead of time...)

Now I know every BCM matches itself to the VIN of the car and the VATS resistor of the key on first ignition (e.g new from factory BCM's program themselves to the key resistor and VIN on first start), and I'm told they can NOT BE REPROGRAMMED even by a dealer or a tech 2? So essentially I can't buy a used BCM and just reprogram it with a tech 2?

GMpartsdirect.com no longer carries the BCM for my car ac delco part number 9353691 and I can't find a new or remanufactured one ANYWHERE? I have literally looked EVERYWHERE -- there isn't even a single one on ebay?

I do not want to bypass my VATS (I'm trying to fix up the car to make everything work like new) so what are my options here? The used BCM's on ebay DO NOT come with keys to figure out the VATS resistor values and even if they did the used bcm would still have the VIN of the old car it was in wouldn't it?

Am I correct that these BCM's program themselves to the VIN? or is it just the VATS key resistor value only? and does the BCM hold vehicle mileage information? I read the mileage is stored in BOTH the pcm and bcm?

If I buy a used BCM from ebay, and I want my ASR/traction control to work, does it have to have come from a donor car with an automatic transmission and ASR/TCS? What exactly has to match?

I'm really screwed here guys, and I'm not sure how to proceed? I thought about maybe buying a used bcm from ebay and desoldering and swapping whatever chip or eeprom holds the programming info? but I would need some help to understand which SMD chips I'd need to swap? it looks like there are 5 SMD's one real big one 4 medium sized ones and a small one, and then what looks like a variable resistor that can have its settings changed with a torque screwdriver?

I hear there used to be an ebay seller that sold BCM's with VATS already disabled but this seller seems to no longer exist!

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Teching In

BUMP.

No one has any idea what I can do?

I'm thinking about trying to use a keepprog eeprom chip reader/writer to transfer the information from the old BCM over to a used donor bcm (erase the eeprom chip on the used one, and write my .bin file from my old bcm boards eeprom) but I don't know which of the 5 surface mount chips would hold the programming/VIN/VATS information? I'm guessing it's the 8 pin SMD but I could be very wrong. I really dont want to have to try and surface mount solder all 5 SMD IC"s off my old BCM and onto the replacement used BCM just to transfer the information over?

Update: gmpartsgiant dot com claims to have new ones in stock, so I went that route, we will see if they actually have it or if the site is just saying that.
help!

Last edited by Gary Maurizi; 11-26-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Not everyone is around on Sunday. Give it another day or so.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone ever ends up in my same position.

First know that with this particular year of gm body control module, the VIN number and VATS key resistance pellet value and vehicle mileage are programmed into the eeprom chip on the bcm circuit board on the first use of the bcm (when it is first plugged in and powered on), a dealer or a tech 2 unit CAN NOT change the VIN and mileage and VATS key value after its programmed into the bcm.

If you buy a used donor BCM on ebay or the forum and the mileage is LOWER than your cars mileage (which is usually the case) your mileage will get used, if not, it wont, (the higher mileage value is what the BCM will go with when you first power it up and it will stick and get programmed into the bcm's eeprom, again, a tech 2 tool can't change this, so think wisely).

This does not mean you can't use a used BCM if it's your only option, it simply means you need to find one that came from a vehicle with similar options as your vehicle and make sure that the donor vehicle had lower mileage, this takes care of the mileage problem, but you still have the VATS key resistor value problem and VIN # problem.

Then you would need to go onto ebay and buy 14 blank vats keys one with each pellet value for this year car/bcm, and have them all cut to fit your ignition key cylinder, and you will have to try all 14 to see which one fits the used BCM (or you could obviously ask the seller to check the resistor value on the KEY from the donor vehicle if available, but it rarely is. This is one work around, and happens to be the one I like the most, and no one has mentioned this work around yet so I think I may be the first to think of it, this would allow you to keep VATS functioning and you wouldn't have to bypass VATS with a resistor hack and mess with wiring under your dash...) Obviously if you go that route you don't have re-purchase the vats resistor key you already own.

Now, if you don't want to spend $80 on 14 blank VATS keys on ebay and pay to have them all cut (you can find one of those key cutting machines in grocery stores to do it I think, or do it yourself with a good file) you can always just do a VATS bypass by putting a resistor into the ignition key dash wiring -- but this is a hack and leaves you with a partially non functioning security system. If you do go this route, consider measuring the resistor value of your existing key's pellet, and wiring in a resistor to make up the difference, so that it requires both the resistor on the key and the one wired under the dash to start the car, so at least you have some security left, you could even use a variable resistance resistor under the dash where you can change/choose the resistance value with the dial on the resistor.

As far as the VIN # this cant and wont ever be altered from the used BCM, it will always show the donor(original) vehicles vin # on the bcm when looked at with a tech 2 tool, but this is not a problem and wont effect the functioning of the BCM in any way so long as you have the proper vats key to start the car.

Another option to consider if you are like me and REALLY are a stickler for details or stock everything, you can look into keepprog EEPROM reader/writer and transfer the programming from the eeprom chip on your old fried BCM unit to the new donor BCM unit. There is a good write up about how this is done on a website called carmodder but I think it's against forum rules to post links. I can't say for sure because I haven't yet done this myself, but I believe the VIN number and all of the major BCM programming are held entirely on the one 8 leg SMD chip, I'm not sure what the other 4 SMD chips do, and when I tried looking them up it was nearly impossible, so maybe find an eeprom reader/writer that can read all 5 chip sizes. Also if you care about keyless entry make sure the donor BCM you use has the keyfob antenna on it (model ending in 91)

Just thought some of this might help someone else in my position. Ultimately I ended up getting lucky and found a new in box unused BCM for my 1999 camaro (9353691) on ebay from a seller called openroadgm.

Also, know that there are 2 models of bcm for this year f-body, one without keyless entry and no security system features 9353681 and one with keyless entry and security system features 9353691

Good luck!
GM.

EDIT: heres a video of someone using eeprom reader/writer tools to zero out or "virginize" an ECU on a more modern car -- the same tools could be used to zero out the f-body BCM, or just transfer the eeprom from your old bcm to overwrite the eeprom on a used ebay bought bcm. I may add a link to this post in the future including a .bin file dump of a virgin f-body BCM so anyone in the future can use keepprog to write it to a used bcm to make it 'new' again, we will see. video:

PS: please don't quote me on any of this, this is just information i have gathered after close to a month of researching this specific BCM, most of it from this forum, and a few others, if I am wrong about something it's because many people were also wrong about that same something, and I just relayed it to you the same way.

Last edited by Gary Maurizi; 11-28-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Take a pic of your rpo sticker and I'll see what I can do. I've found a match for a trans am. Au0,Ls1,mx0, gu2, g80, for a local. Maybe I can help.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I killed the BCM in my 99 Camaro years ago. Fun stuff, try to roll the window down and the hatch would pop, random VATs lockouts, etc.

There was a place (still around?) in South Florida called Trans Am creations. They were an F-body salvage yard. Called them up and they said come down and bring your key.

They had a gang of BCMs, and some sort of test rig they built, where they could connect the BCM and power it up then insert your key in their receiver and if the resistors matched it would go green, if not it was red.
First one they grabbed matched up with my key and I was out the door for like $90.
Went home, installed it and the car was perfect from then on...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

This vendor might not maintain their inventory on-line so might actually be - out of stock'. Might want to check with them.

https://www.gmpartspros.net/oem-part...ry-au0-9353691
Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

you dont need to cut all those keys. you can pop the resistor pellet out......
Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of vats - its a joke... Bypass vats and install a hidden kill switch somewhere.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Seems like best choice (given a desire to keep vats), would be to get a bcm wth similar options (namely, keyless entry, power whatever, etc.) Then swap whichever resistor in the bcms circuit.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

It looks like Trans Am Creations has an ebay page, just Google Trans Am Creations. $100 for a BCM through them. Their listing says they can try to match the BCM to your car.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! all of these are good suggestions.

The supposed "brand new bcm" arrives tomorrow so I'll see if it works 'plug and play' and go from there.

I do agree that vats is pretty dumb, I'm thinking of replacing my factory alarm system with something that doesn't suck (and ideally something that has BLE/NFC passive lock/unlock) so I'll probably end up bypassing vats eventually anyway -- just as soon as I can even find an aftermarket security system that does what I want.

Bypassing VATS also opens up the possibility of using a flip key fob which I've always wanted to do, really hate carrying around the fob and keys separately.