PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners - Video Guides

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

Ya the reason why I’m mentioning the poor gas mileage is because it’s something like 8 mpg. I only drive the car for a few hours on the weekend when it’s nice, but figured at only 8 mpg something is wrong.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Ya the reason why I’m mentioning the poor gas mileage is because it’s something like 8 mpg. I only drive the car for a few hours on the weekend when it’s nice, but figured at only 8 mpg something is wrong.
Yes that is extremely low for a heads/cam car. I would be looking into that tune. What do the plugs look like? That is something else I'd take a look at to confirm. Sounds like it's pig rich everywhere on the VE table, that or your PE mode is active at like 10% throttle and 1500 RPM or something. Could be a mechanical issue too. Hard to say, but most likely the tune.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

With mileage that bad you're making ME feel better about my 427 stroker LS3 with 14 MPG. I thought THAT was bad lol.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks a ton for putting this together. Much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for making these videos. I've never tuned anything before and using these videos I've been able to get my car driveable!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Solid and certainly handy for many. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just referred to this post again to help me with my tune. (Bump) - Surprised this isn't sticky'd yet....
Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

This is sweet man, you have a new sub! You explain things so well.

Also thank you for your service
Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thanks for the reference. I too believe what I've done is taking much of what I learned from others and adding my own spin. Greg's info has been invaluable. Marcin had some excellent stuff. Also shout out to joecar whose was also instrumental in helping me understand various topics. Keep up the good work ChopperDoc!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are massively helpful to someone like me who is just starting out with tuning. Thank you SO much.

I am building a 4.8 Cutlass with a Turbo so I will need all the help I can get. My plan is to start with a stock 4.8 tune from the repository, I already downloaded several. Add injector data, add 15% and go from there. I plan to just run SD so shouldnt I just copy the High Octane table to the low octane table and just add it there? I'm such a newb but I know I can get it with time.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
These are massively helpful to someone like me who is just starting out with tuning. Thank you SO much.

I am building a 4.8 Cutlass with a Turbo so I will need all the help I can get. My plan is to start with a stock 4.8 tune from the repository, I already downloaded several. Add injector data, add 15% and go from there. I plan to just run SD so shouldnt I just copy the High Octane table to the low octane table and just add it there? I'm such a newb but I know I can get it with time.

For timing, I believe the OS upgrades grant access to both of the tables, however with boost you have to be careful how much timing you are using. A rule I use for boost area is the 28 rule, as widely accepted among members here and seems to be pretty successful. The rule is start with the number 28, subtract the boost at that spot and that is your spark value. So if you have 10 PSI, use 18 degrees as a value. It's ballpark, but shouldn't get you into too much trouble under boost.

If you don't run the OS upgrades, then yes the HO and LO tables need to match. As a general rule, pulling about 5 degrees out across the board isn't going to hurt you either, just as a general starting point.

For fueling, 15% is for standard tunes involving cam or other airflow changes where you have made significant gains over stock, not counting boost. Boost starts at about 105 kPa on a normal day, as in you are beginning to exceed atmospheric pressure which is typically 102, but changes day to day obviously. Above that is "boost" since you now have more air in there than possible with just atmosphere (NA).

So yes, add the 15% across the board, and if possible, tune without boost hooked up to get the NA numbers on point. Then go ahead and take the last row from the "NA" area (105 row) and copy it to the LAST row in your table. If you are using a 2 bar, multiply this last row by 150%, then select the entire area from 105 to 210 and select "interpolate between vertical bounds." If you are using a 3 bar, then the last row will be 315, and you should use 200%, and do the same thing.

It will probably run pig rich at first, but that's fine. You won't blow it up by getting rich under boost, it will just lose some power, and get **** mileage. Then simply tune it with the same method shown in the video using error % as a correction from commanded. Commanded is up to you, but under boost you should shoot for somewhere around 11.5 AFR under boost. You can make it a little leaner for more power, but this is something that should be done on a dyno, and should not be pushed too lean for safety purposes.
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

New video posted: Idle tuning.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Good on ya! I am behind anything open source. Too much cryptic minimalist jumbled info offered out there on these subjects.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been working on idle tuning using your vids. You have been the most helpful so far. I have books and DVD's but I am a simple, visual learner. My car is driving and idling well!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
Ive been working on idle tuning using your vids. You have been the most helpful so far. I have books and DVD's but I am a simple, visual learner. My car is driving and idling well!
This is really awesome to hear. This is why I started doing these in the first place, to help people out. I intend to continue as time and work permit. I recognized a lack of good tuning videos out there, and I know it's tough to watch a few of the other guys out there ramble on for 40 minutes and not cover everything you might need to know. I had trouble learning too trying to find decent videos and other walkthroughs that made sense for a beginner.

Years later, here I am passing on experience and tons of research and forums I know most just haven't invested into enough time into to learn. Now I can spot where many guides are lacking, and I try and cover everything I can think of that would be helpful to know from a beginner standpoint. So far so good I'd say. I really appreciate the feedback and it keeps me motivated to make more. And yeah, they take tons of time to put together because I tend to do a lot of takes until I'm satisfied with the result.

I'll probably do a MAF tuning video next and show some tricks there to get it dialed in faster. Other things I'll probably do in the near future are things like transmission tuning, scanner tricks, useful custom PID's, spark tuning, and so on. I don't want to make too many promises, but those ideas are floating around in my head lol. I might even do some Ford stuff... I know... Blasphemy here on this forum, but hey, it'll probably help someone lol.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc

I'll probably do a MAF tuning video next and show some tricks there to get it dialed in faster. Other things I'll probably do in the near future are things like transmission tuning, scanner tricks, useful custom PID's, spark tuning, and so on. I....
feel free to use or reference either my maf scaling or keeping the 4l60e alive under higher hp stickies.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Indeed Chopper Doc well done!

For guys like me who tune a handful of times per year its been hard to even grasp the software updates and the differences from vehicle to vehicle with acronyms and tables. Your contributions are very helpful
Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sub’d On the tubes
Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading till my eyes bleed for years and have figured out quite a bit, but the way you teach is by far the easiest to learn for me. I feel pretty confident in tuning but have still learned some from your videos. Thanks for the videos. Yes I subscribed.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

EDIT:

IGNORE. Literally just saw that on the video... LOL.

Hey ChopperDoc,

Would you say that tuning the IAC would come before Idle tuning, or vis versa?

Thanks,
Andy

Quick Reply: HP Tuners - Video Guides