PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

06 GTO 4L80E Swap TCM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019 | 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default 06 GTO 4L80E Swap TCM Tuning

Need some guidance on which way to go with the tuning. I've got the trans installed and everything mechanically hooked up. I've already wired the front speed sensor on the 80E into pins 3 & 45 on the TCM which I *think* are correct. At least that is how a TCM for an 07 Trailblazer SS has the front/ISS speed sensor pinned. If you guys know if those are the correct locations, I would appreciate the confirmation.

Now, onto the other problem... How do I flash this TCM to run this trans? What I have tried already is I downloaded the tune from this thread:
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...L80E-questions post #15. I then licensed that tune, and burned that entire tune-both PCM & TCM. I then went back and burned my original PCM/ENGINE file onto the car. So now I can see that it has the 4L80E programming, and it is taking off in 1st gear, and it's not setting any codes, but it's acting like it does not want to upshift.. I can post the ORIGINAL OS information for both PCM & TCM if you guys need it. Otherwise, what am I missing? Is there another way to get this set up to work? I've tried searching but all the threads that come up about this subject are all older and have no information that leads to resolution.

If anyone has an idea how I can fix this situation, please advise.

Last edited by Kawabuggy; 12-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2019 | 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

I know this doesnt help this minute but I can fix it if you sent the ecm and tcm to me. I dont know how to fix it remotely. Let me think about it some more to see if there is another way.
Old 12-05-2019 | 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

If I need to pull the TCM and PCM and ship it, I will do so. Otherwise, if you can guide me through the process, I would not mind paying you for your time. I have HP Tuners, and have already licensed both the TCM and PCM. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019 | 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I've read about using a relay to reverse the polarity of one of the shift solenoids (I think "B") and then using the 60E programming after deleting the codes for 3-2 control solenoid. I would rather NOT do it that way.. But if I have to, I will.
Old 12-15-2019 | 10:02 PM
Teching In

I have an 05 trailblazer with the 5.3 and have done this swap. I originally used the relay but the 1-2 shift was harsh to say the least... I couldn't use the sloppy mechanics approach due to an OS mismatch, now using custom OS without input ss or relay and it works well.
Old 12-16-2019 | 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Can I ask-WHICH OS you used? Where can I find information on the sloppy mechanics approach? I'd like to continue to try and resolve this myself if possible.
Old 12-16-2019 | 07:06 AM
Teching In

The OS has been modified by TunerCat. The sloppy page is https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...-nnbs-t42-swap
Old 12-16-2019 | 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Okay.. I've looked at the Sloppy Mechanics file.. I think I know where I screwed up.. I wrote BOTH the PCM, and TCM, and now I think I've bricked the PCM. It will start the engine, but if/when you press the gas, the gas pedal is no longer "connected" to the engine. Meaning you can begin to press the gas pedal, the engine RPM will rise just a little bit, and then the gas pedal is dead after that point.. You can keep pressing it but the engine won't respond. I've tried writing the original tune back in, with all of the original information, but this problem persists. I'm also getting codes for "LOST COMMUNICATION WITH PCM" and "LOST COMMUNICATION WITH TCM". Looks like I'll be buying more computers for this car and trying again. Wanna bet I'll destroy the new computers as well?

Also, the instructions for the Sloppy Mechanics page are for a a E38 PCM... The PCM in this car is a E40... I wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 12-16-2019 | 11:19 AM
Teching In

Mine is also an E40, that is why it takes custom work. Where are you located?
Old 12-16-2019 | 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in Houston. I talked to a another tuner and he said he feels confident that he can make it work.. $600 + new computer, + extra labor time if he needs to pull the TCM.....

So, for those of you considering swapping your '05, or '06 GTO over to 80E---keep in mind this added hassle and expense. I'm still not at the end of my problem and so far, the tuning/computer part of it is the 2nd highest cost so far with the actual transmission being the highest. If I had bought a junk yard unit, the tuning/computer issues would be MORE THAN the cost of the transmission.

Quick Reply: 06 GTO 4L80E Swap TCM Tuning