PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from SD back to MAF tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Anyone go from SD back to MAF tune?

Maybe I'm just getting bored with the snow and winter but..... been kinda thinking about going from SD tune back to MAF/SD tune like stock does it. I ended up not running WMI, which was a big reason I did SD originally, just made setting up the hardware easier. I don't have a huge cam or anything. Low speed driveability is good, maybe even a hair better than when I was MAF tuned, pre-SC....but honestly that could very well be because I never really bothered to get VE table dialed in that well.

I understand a good SD tune should account for temp/elevation changes no problem, but I really haven't got to put the elevation part to the test yet....but in theory MAF does this better and easier. Looks like I could easily weld on a MAF mount and run the LS3/7 MAF in the cold side pipe and even just use it's internal IAT sensor. I have read through all of the MAF / tune scaling stuff I would need to do and feel comfortable with that. Currently making around 700whp.

At the end of the day, both work, but I can't think of any good reason not to run the MAF anymore. Does high rpm low load condition with a centri blower cause weird MAF reading/airflow turbulence issues?

Just looking to see if anyone has any personal experience on the subject, thanks!
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 529 Likes on 373 Posts

Temp changes need to be properly accounted for with SD, but elevation sort of handles itself. The only thing that might be an issue with elevation and SD is idle or extremely low throttle positions at very high elevations. It really sounds like you are bored and want to tinker with the tune. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Is your SD tune currently working or is something lacking? I <3 MAF, but if you've gone through the trouble to get a SD tune dialed in and its work, don't fix what isn't broken.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Properly done, a blended MAF/SD calibration will outperform SD only in almost every aspect.
The following users liked this post:
jrob56 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gametech
Temp changes need to be properly accounted for with SD, but elevation sort of handles itself. The only thing that might be an issue with elevation and SD is idle or extremely low throttle positions at very high elevations. It really sounds like you are bored and want to tinker with the tune. Nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, that's why I started my post with the fact that I'm probably just bored!! lol MAF seemed to be more consistent and definitely easier to dial in, to include WOT stuff. Going back to the blended method seems like the "best of both worlds" since I don't really have a particular reason not to run it any more.

And yeah I definitely like to tinker, this is my tinker/fun car. It runs very well now honestly, but I'm always looking to learn, experiment or try to make things better.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Is your SD tune currently working or is something lacking? I <3 MAF, but if you've gone through the trouble to get a SD tune dialed in and its work, don't fix what isn't broken.
I've read your sticky before, but I don't know what I was looking up yesterday that made me stumble across it again and got me thinking about it, so thanks for putting in all the time and effort into that.

I think I see a small error in the procedure regarding the idle/CL mode stuff in the guide. Once I dig into it, if I find anything worth mentioning I'll definitely chime into the thread!

See above....car is running very well, I always ignore the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" throught process lol.

Honestly as I've gone through a few hardware changes or realize an issue with injector data/fix it etc, I've had to go back and re-do the VE table multiple times and it's just been a little time consuming on the street for me.

Big picture, it drives well and WOT fueling is good, but I feel like I'm stuck at the 90% point of where I'd like to be. Not quite as consistent as I'd like....but admittingly most would just turn on CL fueling and never look at a datalog again at this point lol.

MAF table I'm thinking will just be a lot more straightforward and hopefully more consistent. I understand I still need to maintain a correct VE table, but only below 4000rpm as I understand it, so that makes it a lot easier.

Or I'm just bored

Originally Posted by turbolx
Properly done, a blended MAF/SD calibration will outperform SD only in almost every aspect.
Thanks for chiming in Greg, that's what I'm hoping for!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Cool. Let me know on the idling stuff. As far as 4000 rpms for MAF/VE, that value is editable based on your setup. I usually drop it to 2k or thereabouts so idle/cruise/and light throttle transitions are blended but anything above is MAF only.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 604 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
I totally agree, but how many people would actually meet that 'properly done' description, let alone have the tools to do so?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I totally agree, but how many people would actually meet that 'properly done' description, let alone have the tools to do so?
Whats the difference in tools from SD to MAF? Just need a wideband and a tuning suite that can record a wideband BEN.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Well, I was getting excited about this and about to order the parts, but then I realized that my cold side piping is 3.5", not 4.0" like I thought. So I am almost certain I'm not going to have enough Hz.

It's a C5 with A&A kit, there's really no easy way to convert the cold side pipe to 4" since there's a big long custom coupler off the intercooler that is 3.5" and pre-blower is out of the question too. Not going to put in some sort of janky transition pipe right at the MAF, would kind of invalidate the whole thing I think. A complete custom cold pipe might be the only real alternative, but not exactly a cheap or easy option.

It's starting to look like I can't easily make it work with my current config, bummer.

Anyone go from SD back to MAF tune?-odmapjxl.jpg
Old 02-12-2020, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

i assumed it was a more tedious process that may require more/different calculations than one or the other alone. tools was meant as a generality; dyno, wideband, software, spreadsheets, expertise, etc
Old 02-12-2020, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Well, I was getting excited about this and about to order the parts, but then I realized that my cold side piping is 3.5", not 4.0" like I thought. So I am almost certain I'm not going to have enough Hz.

It's a C5 with A&A kit, there's really no easy way to convert the cold side pipe to 4" since there's a big long custom coupler off the intercooler that is 3.5" and pre-blower is out of the question too. Not going to put in some sort of janky transition pipe right at the MAF, would kind of invalidate the whole thing I think. A complete custom cold pipe might be the only real alternative, but not exactly a cheap or easy option.

It's starting to look like I can't easily make it work with my current config, bummer.

You would replace that coupler and pipe to the TB with a 4 inch pipe and the MAF. It's not janky because your TB is a 4 inch coupler anyways lol.

i assumed it was a more tedious process that may require more/different calculations than one or the other alone. tools was meant as a generality; dyno, wideband, software, spreadsheets, expertise, etc
Tuning a MAF transfer function with EFI Live/HPT that can log a digital wideband out is CAKE compared to tuning a VE table.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I guess you have a point. Maybe transistion to 4" right after the bend in the pipe, then 4" all the way to TB. Only 1 more coupler and 2 clamps.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

I guess you have a point. Maybe transistion to 4" right after the bend in the pipe, then 4" all the way to TB. Only 1 more coupler and 2 clamps.
What I can tell you is do NOT put the MAF right at the 3.5 to 4 transition. The airflow needs distance to spread out in the 4 inch tube from 3.5 to lower the frequency. If you have it right at the transition you won't see the drop in frequency.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

You would replace that coupler and pipe to the TB with a 4 inch pipe and the MAF. It's not janky because your TB is a 4 inch coupler anyways lol.

Tuning a MAF transfer function with EFI Live/HPT that can log a digital wideband out is CAKE compared to tuning a VE table.
I'm not entirely sure why people think VE is so hard, but I went backwards from standalone where everything is VE to HPT. I'll take VE any day over MAF junk that gets pissed when you make real power.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

What I can tell you is do NOT put the MAF right at the 3.5 to 4 transition. The airflow needs distance to spread out in the 4 inch tube from 3.5 to lower the frequency. If you have it right at the transition you won't see the drop in frequency.
yeah that makes sense. I’m trying to find a piece that I can just plug n play but I might have to just buy a plain section of 4” tubing and weld on the MAF flange so I can put it closer to the TB.

best pnp option I’ve found so far, but it would only offer 3” before the transition. Better than the really compact MAF housings made by lingenfelter or Texas speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-0-OD-Slot...-/253108003593

Gonna have to pull out the tape measure tonight and figure this out.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

im sure its not bad but the point was Greg's statement that one 'tuned properly' would be better than SD alone, and my question was what does it take to get a maf/sd tune better than sd only?
i have done sd only tunes in the past that were excellent and resulted in much much smoother afrs than my current professionally tuned e38 maf setup.
I have never tuned a maf/sd ecm so i was curious. I have always completely disabled one or the other.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

best pnp option I’ve found so far, but it would only offer 3” before the transition. Better than the really compact MAF housings made by lingenfelter or Texas speed.
the ebay one has honeycomb in it so the 3" length is probably ok
aaronc7 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I'm not entirely sure why people think VE is so hard, but I went backwards from standalone where everything is VE to HPT. I'll take VE any day over MAF junk that gets pissed when you make real power.
Its not hard....its just more difficult than a MAF tune LOL.

im sure its not bad but the point was Greg's statement that one 'tuned properly' would be better than SD alone, and my question was what does it take to get a maf/sd tune better than sd only?
i have done sd only tunes in the past that were excellent and resulted in much much smoother afrs than my current professionally tuned e38 maf setup.
I have never tuned a maf/sd ecm so i was curious. I have always completely disabled one or the other.
Remember Greg does OEM calibration....that stuff has to be perfect Doing a blended tune isn't difficult, you do exactly what it sounds like. Disable MAF, tune VE table. Then disable VE table, tune MAF. Turn both on and set the RPM threshold for airflow calc to the desired RPM. Above that RPM its strictly looking at the MAF for steady state airflow (WOT). You'll get better throttle transitioning and idle. Just takes longer and in most instances people are happy with a 95%. Shoot.....most people don't even get that close lol.
aaronc7 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Its not hard....its just more difficult than a MAF tune LOL.

Remember Greg does OEM calibration....that stuff has to be perfect Doing a blended tune isn't difficult, you do exactly what it sounds like. Disable MAF, tune VE table. Then disable VE table, tune MAF. Turn both on and set the RPM threshold for airflow calc to the desired RPM. Above that RPM its strictly looking at the MAF for steady state airflow (WOT). You'll get better throttle transitioning and idle. Just takes longer and in most instances people are happy with a 95%. Shoot.....most people don't even get that close lol.
Walking is more difficult then a MAF tune but that doesn't make it better. Some OEM's are MAP only, there is no need for a MAF as usually its just a restriction.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Walking is more difficult then a MAF tune but that doesn't make it better. Some OEM's are MAP only, there is no need for a MAF as usually its just a restriction.
And the inverse is true too. There are MAF only setups.....if MAF's are so terrible, why do new cars, even higher HP stuff like ZR1's come with them? They work pretty good

Quick Reply: Anyone go from SD back to MAF tune?