Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune for a 2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Tune for a 2000 Camaro SS

Good afternoon! Hope everyone is surviving this Coronavirus outbreak.

I'm looking for a tune for my 2000 Camaro SS, mine is all out of whack. I've got a 36lb Injectors, Torquer Stage 2 Cam, Ported LS6 Heads (0.4), 3800 Stall, LS6 Intake Manifold, SLP intake, 3.73 gears, Long Tubes....

This is all I've got for now. I recently bought the car and am trying to figure out everything that's been done to it. The guy I bought it from was clueless and he can't get a hold of the guy he bought it from. It's a mess!

Please help! I've got HP Tuning rights to my car so.... Thanks.

Dustin
Old 03-13-2020, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

There are people that can fix your issues. They are called tuners and normally charge money.
The following users liked this post:
jaydubb (03-18-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Default Oh...

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
There are people that can fix your issues. They are called tuners and normally charge money.
I'm aware, but I've got my own tuner and am trying to figure things out. If all else fails I'll go to said tuner.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Canada
I'm aware, but I've got my own tuner and am trying to figure things out. If all else fails I'll go to said tuner.
I appreciate that. No one is just going to give you a tune for a car with those mods and you shouldn't want them to. Each car is different, even with the same mods.

Tuning is not as easy as the internet thinks it is. So you have two options.

Spend countless hours learning how to to tune or pay someone to do it. There is no easy cheap fix.

I will say that there are some damn good threads in here, especially from Chopper Doc that really simplifies the process and helps you understand it.
The following 3 users liked this post by LilJayV10:
ChopperDoc (03-24-2020), G Atsma (03-13-2020), jaydubb (03-18-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

The first thing to do would be to read the tune. The HPTuners site has a tune repository and I’m sure there is a stock tune there.
Use the compare function in HPTuners to see what’s been screwed with.

Next would be to set up the scanner appropriately and data log a drive. If it even runs that is.

None of this is trivial for a first time user I’m afraid.

Ron

jaydubb (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Hit the HP Tuners forums and get ready to learn. Most of the info you need is there. Also check out "Goat Rope Garage" on YouTube. Great info on his page.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha!!! I lived in SOMD from 2009 to 2016 and was at the Pax River ITF for that time. Not sure if you and I ever met officially before i left in Sept of '16, but your name is familiar... Glad to be away from that place, well at least some of the people.
Maybe I know your name because it pops up on my FB "people you may know" due to having some of the same FB friends....
Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing you should do is make sure the injector settings in the tune are correct for 36lb injectors. The 2000s came with 26lb, so that would be way off in a stock tune. There should be a tune in the hptuners repository that uses 36lb injectors, or someone on here should have one. Select that tune under Compare -> Open Compare File (after you've opened your tune that you downloaded from your car). Select the Engine dialog, go to the Fuel -> General tab, then anything that doesn't match under Injector Control needs to be copied from the compare file. Also under Fuel go to Transient and set Min Fuel Milligrams from the compare file.

If you have idle problems due to the cam, check out the various videos on youtube about idle tuning.

If you started with a fresh stock tune, and just fixed the fueling and idle, I think it should run decently enough that you could tune the VE table, which is the basic thing to do after any engine mod like a cam.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I appreciate that. No one is just going to give you a tune for a car with those mods and you shouldn't want them to. Each car is different, even with the same mods.

Tuning is not as easy as the internet thinks it is. So you have two options.

Spend countless hours learning how to to tune or pay someone to do it. There is no easy cheap fix.

I will say that there are some damn good threads in here, especially from Chopper Doc that really simplifies the process and helps you understand it.

Haha, thanks man. I appreciate the nod.

OP -
Figured I'd comment to make the guides easier to find. They're in the signature and save us all hours of typing. Good luck, and if you have questions, ask. No one has a tune for your car simply laying around. That's just not how this works unfortunately. I have stock files though, if that's what you're looking for, but anyone with an account can get those off the repository. Hopefully the guides help. They're in order, for the most part. Skip the ones you don't need, say you are SD and intend to stay that way, no sense in watching the MAF videos.
jaydubb (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
No one has a tune for your car simply laying around. That's just not how this works unfortunately.
Dude, I hate trying to explain this to people. Those are the people I tell to just go get Diablo or something. "Do you have a startup tune for a...?". SMH
​​
Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 PM
EWY
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can help if your car has a wideband and you are able to provide datalogs.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP must be
Old 03-26-2020, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Last time he was here was the day after his post here.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DuckDude
Ha!!! I lived in SOMD from 2009 to 2016 and was at the Pax River ITF for that time. Not sure if you and I ever met officially before i left in Sept of '16, but your name is familiar... Glad to be away from that place, well at least some of the people.
Maybe I know your name because it pops up on my FB "people you may know" due to having some of the same FB friends....
Yeah, I was at the ITF for about 4 years as an FTCE, left in 2018.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. I ended up going with a tuner (Paid) and I'm still having issues. I went ahead an replaced my PCM because I've been having some related symptoms. It's most likely a bad ground somewhere, but I'm slowly eliminating issues. Sorry for not replying sooner, I got pissed off and stopped working on it for a bit. I will keep you updated. Thanks again for all the feedback gents!
G Atsma (05-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Tune for a 2000 Camaro SS