Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 4150 on a Stock 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Fast 4150 on a Stock 6.0

I just won the bid on a FAST 4150 throttle body for only $250. I would like to get the Edelbrock Victor Jr intake to make my LS look more "old school" and for hopefully performance gains and better off the line performance over the DBW setup.

My question is, what could I expect in terms of performance on a stock 6.0 LQ9 with a good speed density tune?

I'm mostly worried about how the intake will behave with the stock cam. I have 4:11 rear gears and soon a 3600 stall converter. I plan on eventually getting a custom grind cam specific for my intake setup, but the throttle body needs to come first.

​​​​​​
Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Stay away from the Victor JR intake for cathedral heads, they are too restrictive, even for a 5.7. Go straight to the Super Vic, or new Holley split intake.

I have a fast 4150tb / Super vic on my cammed 5.7.. no track times with it but i can tell you sotp and playing around with my g-tech, car is much quicker overall than previous stock ls6 intake and ported stock tb. And it loves to rpm.. like 7800rpm shifts and it's still not dropping off. Power/torque off the hit is radical, compared to a plastic intake. Felt like i put in a 5000 converter in place of the 4000.

Take some of them richard holdener intake dyno tests with a grain of salt.. and/or watch out for tricks like comparing a cathedral Vic Jr. intake. to a fast intake, for one example. The Vic Jr is too small. But go to a super vic, or another bigger single plane, and the story changes quite drastically.

This is vid of first install of super vic/4150 on my car. Ignore the sucking noise on decel rpm from the IAC, that is now fixed.

I did this as an experiment to see for myself what a good single plane intake is like on even a basic LS, and overall the car rips and i was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm building another 6.0 i have on the side (with square port heads) so i will be selling this cathedral super vic to someone as soon as i remove it, he wants it. And going with a single plane on that engine also. I might keep the TB, unless the buyer really wants it also, then i will do a 4500 tb on the next one.

Here's a good read on another super vic / 4150 install, with some good info..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...70-update.html
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Forgot to mention, the single plane/4150 also smoothed out the idle considerably. Like it made the same cam feel smaller at idle. There's less lump, even at same idle rpm as before. (Now set at 870rpm)

As to your question of running it with stock cam.. it won't be an issue imo especially with 4.11 gears and that converter. I'd expect 420+hp flywheel easy from a 6.0 with stock cam, given the tune/headers/exhaust etc is also all done right.

Last edited by Launch; 10-26-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Launch
Stay away from the Victor JR intake for cathedral heads, they are too restrictive, even for a 5.7. Go straight to the Super Vic, or new Holley split intake.

I have a fast 4150tb / Super vic on my cammed 5.7.. no track times with it but i can tell you sotp and playing around with my g-tech, car is much quicker overall than previous stock ls6 intake and ported stock tb. And it loves to rpm.. like 7800rpm shifts and it's still not dropping off. Power/torque off the hit is radical, compared to a plastic intake. Felt like i put in a 5000 converter in place of the 4000.

Take some of them richard holdener intake dyno tests with a grain of salt.. and/or watch out for tricks like comparing a cathedral Vic Jr. intake. to a fast intake, for one example. The Vic Jr is too small. But go to a super vic, or another bigger single plane, and the story changes quite drastically.

This is vid of first install of super vic/4150 on my car. Ignore the sucking noise on decel rpm from the IAC, that is now fixed.

I did this as an experiment to see for myself what a good single plane intake is like on even a basic LS, and overall the car rips and i was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm building another 6.0 i have on the side (with square port heads) so i will be selling this cathedral super vic to someone as soon as i remove it, he wants it. And going with a single plane on that engine also. I might keep the TB, unless the buyer really wants it also, then i will do a 4500 tb on the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8PQvJVm0g

Here's a good read on another super vic / 4150 install, with some good info..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...70-update.html
Hell yeah! Now you have got me really motivated to get the rest of the parts to complete the swap!

I thought you were crazy for recommending the super vic for my engine but after reading those posts it totally makes sense.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Seems like the Super Victor is out of stock. Anyone know what the deal is?
Old 10-27-2020, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure man. Get the Holley split instead. It is near identical to the Super Vic, but if you want to port it internally later down the road, it's the better option as it splits in 2 pieces.
The Holley is also o-ringed on the intake gasket flanges, whereas the super vic isn't, it needs the felpro paper gaskets. Not that a big deal to me but if i did it over i'd get the Holley just for the convenience of not having to use RTV on the gaskets because i don't really trust the other flat felpro style gaskets without using RTV ..

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-255
Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Not sure man. Get the Holley split instead. It is near identical to the Super Vic, but if you want to port it internally later down the road, it's the better option as it splits in 2 pieces.
The Holley is also o-ringed on the intake gasket flanges, whereas the super vic isn't, it needs the felpro paper gaskets. Not that a big deal to me but if i did it over i'd get the Holley just for the convenience of not having to use RTV on the gaskets because i don't really trust the other flat felpro style gaskets without using RTV ..

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-255
Those are really interesting. I also just noticed that they come with fuel rails. $514 for the kit is pretty reasonable. Do you know if I can run my truck injectors on those fuel rails?
Old 10-27-2020, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't looked into which injectors the holley fuel rails use, you will have to call and ask if you can't find it online. My super vic fuel rails use the standard long ls1 style injectors. And yeah $514 for the whole kit is better priced than the edelbrock also.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:18 AM
Launching!

I haven't looked into which injectors the holley fuel rails use, you will have to call and ask if you can't find it online. My super vic fuel rails use the standard long ls1 style injectors. And yeah $514 for the whole kit is better priced than the edelbrock also.
3600 Yank converter installed and the black holley split intake is now on the way. Cant wait to test it out
Old 11-18-2021, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Ill be interested in your results. It's definitely going to move your power curve up. I'd think that yank 3600 might be a little small, but post up your thoughts once it's together and you get it dialed in.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Ill be interested in your results. It's definitely going to move your power curve up. I'd think that yank 3600 might be a little small, but post up your thoughts once it's together and you get it dialed in.
Ill report back to this thread in January when I take out to the track.

Bone stock LQ9, stock 4l80e, 4.10 gears, ran 13.8's with no tune and a 99mph governor which slowed me down at the end.

Im thinking very low 13's with mods. Hopefully I can squeeze out a 12.99
Old 12-08-2021, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

What is this in?
Old 12-08-2021, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Bottom of his posts show a 72 Chevelle 6.0 LQ9/4L80E

Quick Reply: Fast 4150 on a Stock 6.0