Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got screwed over big time. 11 Camaro SS GPI Cam and head tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got screwed over big time. 11 Camaro SS GPI Cam and head tune

I paid 600 dollars for a dyno tune and got back what appears to be a base tune with only a few tables messed with. The trans shifts like crap and the engine start up and idle quality is terrible. The tuner said that's the best he can do. Does someone out here have a similar tune I can copy? Or can help me? I really dont have it in the funds to pay another 500-600 for another shop to tune it. I already had to file a lawsuit against the one shop.... :/
Old 09-12-2021, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Post the current tune as well as more details on what is done to the car.
Also, what shop did you take it to ?
Old 09-19-2021, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 98WhiteLsX
I paid 600 dollars for a dyno tune and got back what appears to be a base tune with only a few tables messed with. The trans shifts like crap and the engine start up and idle quality is terrible. The tuner said that's the best he can do. Does someone out here have a similar tune I can copy? Or can help me? I really dont have it in the funds to pay another 500-600 for another shop to tune it. I already had to file a lawsuit against the one shop.... :/
I don’t charge that much, and I’ll take your car for a week and make it perfect. I stand behind my work. If you are near KY or TN maybe we can talk. It depends on my time investment, but really, 600 is more than I’ve charged a lot of folks for more work. Just for a tune… well that’s easy stuff. I also usually loan out a car in the meantime. Keep in mind though, the folks I do that for I know fairly well. I’m in the 300-400 neighborhood and I do the entire tune, to include cold starts and any nagging weird issues. That’s why it takes me a week. I really need to vet it all out and try to make it fail.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChopperDoc:
G Atsma (09-19-2021), Mr. Black (10-15-2021), Old Buzzard (10-15-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, there are a **** ton of tables that “should” of been “messed” with. Hit me up for tune advice, or if you’re nearby, maybe we can work something out.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Unfortunately, this is too common. Some "tuners" simply copy/paste a file that they either found on the internet or stole from someone, and hope it works. Most people don't know the difference. There have even been cases of "tuners" building what appeared to be a good internet reputation based nothing but lies and thievery. The only way to know for sure is to use someone who's tunes have proven track results. Look up racing results, and query who tuned their cars. Most people do their own, but the ones who use another person are proud to tell you when they find a good tuner.
The following 2 users liked this post by gametech:
02*C5 (10-15-2021), ChopperDoc (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 04:21 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts

Sad to hear. May help if you also list your location. Good luck with progress...
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I can relate. I paid $1000. I was there at 6 am and pulling out at 20 after 7am. Three pulls. I had to open the laptop and move ignition table around to make the car idle in the parking lot. Tuner walked up to my window while I was adjusting the timing to get it to idle and told me I’m wasting my time without an AFR gauge…that’s when I decided I needed to learn how to tune. High end shop. Not going to say names here. Read my engine build thread if you want to know who it was. Last couple pages of build. This hobby Is full of thieves.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (09-19-2021), greg campbell (06-27-2024)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Chopper Doc has it right.. I tune my vehicles myself, and it takes WEEKS to iron out every small detail and have a polished tune in the end. These guys that attempt a "tune" in an hour, or even a couple hours.. Well, there has to come a point in time where YOU the consumer realize that a vehicle just can't have a PERFECT tune in such a short period of time. Can they get it close? Sure.. Can they make it run in a couple hours? Sure. Will it have every hiccup permanently removed? Not likely. This is why I won't tune for money for other people. If someone needs help I'll charge them to license the tune and then help them as best I can. If it's going to take hours, I simply tell them that they need to either learn how to tune it themselves, or they can pay me for some time so that I can log it and make the necessary changes to get it right, and it will take multiple days. No short cuts.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kawabuggy:
02*C5 (10-15-2021), ChopperDoc (09-25-2021), smokeshow (10-04-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I can relate. I paid $1000. I was there at 6 am and pulling out at 20 after 7am. Three pulls. I had to open the laptop and move ignition table around to make the car idle in the parking lot. Tuner walked up to my window while I was adjusting the timing to get it to idle and told me I’m wasting my time without an AFR gauge…that’s when I decided I needed to learn how to tune. High end shop. Not going to say names here. Read my engine build thread if you want to know who it was. Last couple pages of build. This hobby Is full of thieves.
I see you are in Georgia. I can guess who it was.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Chopper Doc has it right.. I tune my vehicles myself, and it takes WEEKS to iron out every small detail and have a polished tune in the end. These guys that attempt a "tune" in an hour, or even a couple hours.. Well, there has to come a point in time where YOU the consumer realize that a vehicle just can't have a PERFECT tune in such a short period of time. Can they get it close? Sure.. Can they make it run in a couple hours? Sure. Will it have every hiccup permanently removed? Not likely. This is why I won't tune for money for other people. If someone needs help I'll charge them to license the tune and then help them as best I can. If it's going to take hours, I simply tell them that they need to either learn how to tune it themselves, or they can pay me for some time so that I can log it and make the necessary changes to get it right, and it will take multiple days. No short cuts.
Myself and a neighbor once took every weather change as an opportunity to tweak his OLSD tune on the street for almost a year. Have not touched the tune in about 15 years, and the only problems were a few toasted transmissions and a rusted turbo header. This truck went from Houston to Daytona, to Cleveland, to anywhere in between with no problems. Other than blown transmissions, it has done just as well long distance towing as running 1/4 mile times. You just can't do that in one weather condition on the dyno. Dyno tunes are a good starting point or end point, but they miss everything in between. And that is only if they are done properly.
The following users liked this post:
Kawabuggy (09-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I see you are in Georgia. I can guess who it was.
Ouch....I had heard good things about them too.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Hell it takes weeks to iron out one small detail....and a few years to get them all. Least that's how long it took when I did it in Detroit Can't do frozen cold starts in the summer and can't do hot soaked starts in the dead of winter...so that alone prevents doing it in less than a year. All boils down to the level of quality you want. I have guys who pay me several thousand dollars to go through their cals with a fine toothed comb and get everything I possibly can. But I also only toon a handful a year... Quality isn't cheap, and cheap isn't quality.
The following 3 users liked this post by smokeshow:
ChopperDoc (10-04-2021), G Atsma (10-04-2021), Kawabuggy (10-04-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

This is just all too coming of a story. I'm sorry it happened. Keeping their name off of your thread, isn't helping the next guy on here. I know it's hard to bash someone, sometimes, but if that's their attitude, then spell it out.
ON the plus side, chopperdoc has always been one of the most helpful guys on the forums. If I were going to pay anyone to tune my stuff, it would be him, or someone like him (and I don't think I know of anyone else) that I would trust.
My shitty tuning experience, forced my hand. Now, I'm doing tuning myself. I don't do anything part way. I'm actually glad I had a bad tuning experience, in the long run, it's saved me gobs of money, and helped lots of people I know.
But if it's help you seek, post up a list of everything, I mean everything about the mechanics on your car, a log, and a tune. The more info we have, the better.
The following 4 users liked this post by rpturbo:
02*C5 (10-15-2021), ChopperDoc (10-14-2021), G Atsma (10-11-2021), NSFW (10-16-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 423 Likes on 307 Posts

if the people around you suck that much it sounds like it's time to buy hp tuners and take a course with efi university.
G Atsma (10-11-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rpturbo
This is just all too coming of a story. I'm sorry it happened. Keeping their name off of your thread, isn't helping the next guy on here. I know it's hard to bash someone, sometimes, but if that's their attitude, then spell it out.
ON the plus side, chopperdoc has always been one of the most helpful guys on the forums. If I were going to pay anyone to tune my stuff, it would be him, or someone like him (and I don't think I know of anyone else) that I would trust.
My shitty tuning experience, forced my hand. Now, I'm doing tuning myself. I don't do anything part way. I'm actually glad I had a bad tuning experience, in the long run, it's saved me gobs of money, and helped lots of people I know.
But if it's help you seek, post up a list of everything, I mean everything about the mechanics on your car, a log, and a tune. The more info we have, the better.
This is my new favorite post on this forum. I’m glad I’ve been helpful to folks on here. I think I remember when you were learning, and I’m glad to see you are proficient now. It means a lot and I’m glad to have been a part of that.

In other news, the OP has left the chat lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChopperDoc:
02*C5 (10-15-2021), G Atsma (10-14-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

My experience is this tuners come in two categories. Great recommendations and great track record. Go with track record period. Tuners who are recommended tend to lack where tunners with track record tend to deliver.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02*C5
My experience is this tuners come in two categories. Great recommendations and great track record. Go with track record period. Tuners who are recommended tend to lack where tunners with track record tend to deliver.
Wouldn’t great recommendations be a result of great track record? Just a thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChopperDoc:
02*C5 (10-15-2021), G Atsma (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Recommendations are good as long as the track record backs it up.
02*C5 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Wouldn’t great recommendations be a result of great track record? Just a thought.
not always you can look up and down this board and so many people take their cars to "highly recommended" tuners and end up in here needing help.

What's even better is when then they are told that a tuner with a good track record is a few hours away and they still try and circumvent the system and try another "highly recommended" tuner to be right back in here.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 341 Likes on 251 Posts

Same outfit stiffed us with a tune.
Had to have corrections made, in order to get the car out of the parking lot, and onto the trailer...$600 later.
Was told "no more hotrods". Seems the Vette, Camaro, CTSV crowd is his fav.
02*C5 (10-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Got screwed over big time. 11 Camaro SS GPI Cam and head tune