PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Car revving super high on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021 | 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Car revving super high on cold start

Car was tunned with vacuum leak was told by tunner really wanted to fix it then have it tuned but he went ahead and tuned it anyways car was fine just idled a little high… had vacuum leak fixed then car was out of whack, super high idle so i decided to chance IAC to see if it was the issue but it wasnt no clue what else to look for dont want to damage engine. Car is a heads/cam auto.
Old 12-02-2021 | 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1tauto
car was tunned with vacuum leak was told by tunner really wanted to fix it then have it tuned but he went ahead and tuned it anyways car was fine just idled a little high… had vacuum leak fixed then car was out of whack, super high idle so i decided to chance iac to see if it was the issue but it wasnt no clue what else to look for dont want to damage engine. Car is a heads/cam auto.
anything!?!?!?!?
Old 12-02-2021 | 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Cant understand why they would tune it with a vacuum leak. Sounds like trouble ..
I would not be surprised if all your bottom end fuel and spark tuning is out of spec..

Basically I'd assume if it was tuned with a vacuum leak ,, all that work went for nothing and it needs re-tuned.

Old 12-02-2021 | 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah 100 percent car had a vacuum leak now car revs up to around 3k till its warm then randomly drops down to around 2k then to around 1500 and stays there
Old 12-03-2021 | 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

This is one of those times a extra ECu with a "stock" tune as a spare would rock. .
Old 12-03-2021 | 08:01 AM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

If it had that big of vacuum leak when tuned and now its fixed it should not want to idle. The leak would have been adding additional air so they would not have had the correct idle air in the tune with the leak, without the leak it should need more idle air to idle. Its possible more than just the idle air is off.
Old 12-04-2021 | 03:36 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Cant understand why they would tune it with a vacuum leak. Sounds like trouble ..
I would not be surprised if all your bottom end fuel and spark tuning is out of spec..

Basically I'd assume if it was tuned with a vacuum leak ,, all that work went for nothing and it needs re-tuned.
Exactly. I once spent an insane amount of time idle tuning a weird combo that I expected to be difficult, only to find out the IAC was bad and I had to start over. If it had been a normal combo, I would have immediately thought the IAC was bad, but since it was different, it took a long time to figure out. The IAC seemed to move as expected, but it never returned to the same zero point.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-04-2021)
Old 12-06-2021 | 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is that something a tunner with hp tuners should figure out?!
Old 12-06-2021 | 08:46 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

If the tuner knew it had a vacuum leak, and proceeded to tune it anyway, he is definitely not a tuner I would want behind a keyboard.

Quick Reply: Car revving super high on cold start