PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 with Tunercat...Can anyone help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 with Tunercat...Can anyone help??

I have just installed a cc306, etc..on my 94 LT1 and have been reprogramming the pcm with tunercat..well, right now at about 2000rpm with map between 54-60 I am getting some popping out the exhaust...is this too rich or what? Should I lean out the ve tables in that area? I have searched on this but there is such a discretion on using the ve tables(camaroz28.com)..some people say that is where the programming is at and others say that it doesn't do anything unless the maf isn't working...so now I am confused. That is why I came here to see if anyone else could help me out. The calculated AFR from the % chg to afr ratio tables is around 13.02 and I am wondering if maybe I should lean it out anymore. Also at idle there is a pretty stout smell from the exhaust. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TN94Z
I have just installed a cc306, etc..on my 94 LT1 and have been reprogramming the pcm with tunercat..well, right now at about 2000rpm with map between 54-60 I am getting some popping out the exhaust...is this too rich or what? Should I lean out the ve tables in that area? I have searched on this but there is such a discretion on using the ve tables(camaroz28.com)..some people say that is where the programming is at and others say that it doesn't do anything unless the maf isn't working...so now I am confused. That is why I came here to see if anyone else could help me out. The calculated AFR from the % chg to afr ratio tables is around 13.02 and I am wondering if maybe I should lean it out anymore. Also at idle there is a pretty stout smell from the exhaust. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

What do you mean by popping? I have a very similar setup on my 94 LT1. It is basically a modified CC306 proifile custom grind lunati. The VE Table is where to modify it in this area depending on what your LTFT's are. Are you using TTS Datamaster to do your datalogging or Freescan?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am using Datamaster at the moment. The popping is hard to explain...it is kinda like a misfire type pop, but it is not misfiring because it runs good in the higher rpms and idles good...it just does this during normal driving. It was doing this all of the time until I made some fuel changes in tunercat. I got a mail order tune that had my wot AFR at like 10.2. I changed it got it closer to 13.0. And I had to lean out my initial startup because it was way too rich also. So I am thinking that it is still a little rich. The popping seems to be around 2000rpm and 54-63 MAP. I leaned these areas out in the ve tables, but haven't had a chance to load it and try it out.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TN94Z
I am using Datamaster at the moment. The popping is hard to explain...it is kinda like a misfire type pop, but it is not misfiring because it runs good in the higher rpms and idles good...it just does this during normal driving. It was doing this all of the time until I made some fuel changes in tunercat. I got a mail order tune that had my wot AFR at like 10.2. I changed it got it closer to 13.0. And I had to lean out my initial startup because it was way too rich also. So I am thinking that it is still a little rich. The popping seems to be around 2000rpm and 54-63 MAP. I leaned these areas out in the ve tables, but haven't had a chance to load it and try it out.
Do you have any logs you can send me from TTS? I can review them and see where you may need to make changes.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is your email address?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

monodax @ hotmail.com (Minus the spaces)
Old 07-23-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

File Sent
Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure its not leaning out??? Lean conditions will cause high HC's which will sometimes ignite in the hot exhaust system with a little air.
On another note, how do you like the tuner cat software??? I have been looking for something to do early cars with..
Old 07-24-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

I can understand why you say you are experiencing popping and hesitation. You are very rich from 800-2400 RPM based on the log file you sent me. Your LTFT's are -15.6 from 1500-2200 RPM. Look at the histogram display I attached and you will see where you need to pull some fuel in the VE table. I would do some smoothing so as to not just pull it in those cells only but the ones close to them by gradually decreasing the amount in those cells as well. If you want you can send me your .bin file and I can make the mods if you don't feel comfortable tweaking it but I would start off gradually decreasing the areas in your VE Table and doing some test runs of about 10-20 mins a piece until you can get your LTFT's in reason.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 with Tunercat...Can anyone help??-dataloghistogram.jpg  
Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ataylors>>>I think that it is just too rich. The mail order tune I got was very very rich, like 10.2. I've gotten a little better now except for the popping. As for the tunercat, I really like it. I would be great if I could get the real time programming but this is all I need for now.

Monodax>>>I really would appreciate it if you could do that for me. I'm afraid that I will get it all out of wack. I will send it to you. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

I just sent you an updated file.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ataylors>>>I think that it is just too rich. The mail order tune I got was very very rich, like 10.2. I've gotten a little better now except for the popping. As for the tunercat, I really like it. I would be great if I could get the real time programming but this is all I need for now.
Yeah if it is WAY outta wack rich it will do it too.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just sent you an updated file.

Thanks, I got it. I will load it tomorrow and run a log and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: LT1 with Tunercat...Can anyone help??