PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size hole? TB blade (G5X3/114 cam)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size hole? TB blade (G5X3/114 cam)

Hello, I am continually having idle problems once she warms up :*****: Once I shut her down and start her back up again she hunts for an idle for about 5-7 seconds before she kicks in. MTI of Houston who did the tune, drilled a 7/32 hole in the TB blade however asked for me to contact LG to see if they were drilling a larger hole for the G5X3 cam. I have contacted them, and they told me they now try to aviod drilling a hole in the blade, and keep trying to adjust the IAC. They could not tell me what size hole because it is subjective he told me. Lou was busy, so I could not talk to him directly Other than the "hot start" problem, I have no driveabilty issues other than minor bucking under low rpms. My car has been back to MTI 2 times driving from Florida, and PCM mailed 2 times, for adjustments with no success. I will give Jayson credit though once I drove back the second time (because of Hurricane Ivan), I thought my problem was solved because around Houston she did not act up once he made adjustment. As soon as I return to Florida, the problem was back! Jayson told me a cam with these specs is never going to idle perfectly Has anyone else experience problems such as mine? The only other mods I have are the following: Kooks headers, hi-flo cats, x-pipe, blackwing, Breathless intake, and GHL exhaust. Please help!

Last edited by DNAST1; 12-06-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen alot of the larger cams at 1/4 inch.You could also try this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=unplug+tps
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=DNAST1] Once I shut her down and start her back up again she hunts for an idle for about 5-7 seconds before she kicks in. QUOTE]

I just installed a G5X3 114 in my GTO

I have the EXACT same problem and it is driving me nuts. Any updates??
Old 01-22-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Try the idle screw adj in the thread above & don't go bigger than 1/4".
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Closer_2001]
Originally Posted by DNAST1
Once I shut her down and start her back up again she hunts for an idle for about 5-7 seconds before she kicks in. QUOTE]

I just installed a G5X3 114 in my GTO

I have the EXACT same problem and it is driving me nuts. Any updates??
Since I posted this, I have increase my TB blade hole to 1/4. It worked like a charm for about a month. Down side right away though with increasing the hole was high idle (1500 rpms) when I let of the gas until I come to a stop and get the reverse effect of taking 5 seconds to kick down to around 900 rpms. Now the "hot start" problem is intermittent so I am back to square one along with the high idle problem now It is something I can live with for now because my car will be going into storage for 3 years here soon due to overseas assignment however I was leaning torwards the NW TB and FAST intake to solve my issue along with AFR 225s sm chamber 62cc's when they become available! I now have 3 years to review the forum to decide what is the right combo to put me at 500 RWHP with no idle issues! Good luck with tuning your stock TB! I give up and live with it!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DNAST1
Since I posted this, I have increase my TB blade hole to 1/4. It worked like a charm for about a month. Down side right away though with increasing the hole was high idle (1500 rpms) when I let of the gas until I come to a stop and get the reverse effect of taking 5 seconds to kick down to around 900 rpms. Now the "hot start" problem is intermittent so I am back to square one along with the high idle problem now It is something I can live with for now because my car will be going into storage for 3 years here soon due to overseas assignment however I was leaning torwards the NW TB and FAST intake to solve my issue along with AFR 225s sm chamber 62cc's when they become available! I now have 3 years to review the forum to decide what is the right combo to put me at 500 RWHP with no idle issues! Good luck with tuning your stock TB! I give up and live with it!
Oh. A GTO. Tuning required. Too late for your stock blade now though.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Another_User
Oh. A GTO. Tuning required. Too late for your stock blade now though.

It is an 04, so basically it has the F Body TB

Anyway - I have HP Tuners, I just can't figure out the hot start issue.

I'll try cracking the blade, but I will not deal with a 1500 RPM idle.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have mine drilled to 7/32
Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chris2000ss
I have mine drilled to 7/32
I have the just installed the 233/233 .595/.595 torquer cam with a TSP mailorder tune and the idle surges up and down twice then finds idle at 950.Also when coming to a stop the idle surges twice before finding idle.Just drilled TB (7/32)and stalling is less but the car bucks between 40-45 mph if I don't give it gas.I just shift into 3rd gear to raise rpms up and the bucking goes away.Mods are in sig.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

the iac motor can only move so much air because of the size of the routing it has in the case, sometimes, with a bigger cam, that has to be bigger to allow more air to enter the hole for the iac. throttle blade should never need cut, just adjusted, and a bigger iac hole.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Why does everyone have problems with tuning with a TB? DONT DRILL THE HOLE!!!

There is a much better approach and I think AnotherUser posted the link to this already. ITs all in the IAC counts and TPS sensor voltage. You can get any cam to idle the right way. Its very easy. Matter of fact you dont even have to touch much in the programming for it.

Rick
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Why does everyone have problems with tuning with a TB? DONT DRILL THE HOLE!!!

There is a much better approach and I think AnotherUser posted the link to this already. ITs all in the IAC counts and TPS sensor voltage. You can get any cam to idle the right way. Its very easy. Matter of fact you dont even have to touch much in the programming for it.

Rick
I told them to make that link a sticky...
Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't recall being told to do so but I read through the thread and it's definetly a keeper ... add another sticky