Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnus
Josh, yes we will be adding hundereds more parameters..

I really wish I could post a screenshot of the pure power of VCM Suite 2.0 but.. it will have to wait.
cant... stop... drooling.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
If you saw HP Tuners VCM Suite 2.0 I can guarantee you that you would change your mind... no doubt about it.

2.0 is not only a product of our own needs and wants, but it also has all the support and requests of our customer base which no other company has. We add exactly what the customers want.. and thats what 2.0 is. Not only that, but it is more easy to navigate than any tree style editor you will ever use.

- Keith, HP Tuners
At what cost though? From what I can see right now flashscan is what has my attention. I have been efilive ever since v4 was released. Customer service I have never had a problem with them and their product has always been very simply to use.

Keith, if the price is right I don't mind giving 2.0 a shot. By the way has a released date been set?

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

efi live has free updates right? and hp tuners u have to pay? so why not get something with free updates, hp tuners would cost more in the long run wouldnt it?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
what a rush!

will 1.5 to 2.0 be a free upgrade?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by moregrip
will 1.5 to 2.0 be a free upgrade?

If you are within your ugrade period yes if not you pay 99.00 IIRC
Old 12-23-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Keith, will any of the future versions have more tables for asr/tcs editing beyond timing reductions? I'm looking to elimate tcs upshifts, which I think might be the 3rd stage of attempts tcs makes to stop wheel spin.

Nine Ball. I've been rolling on the floor for the last 10 minutes. That mod list is crazy. Tomorrow i'm going to attempt a body lift with hockey pucks

The upshift comes from the throttle relaxer pulling off the
throttle, and the shift tables work on MPH & TPS. The easy
answer is to raise the part-throttle shiftpoints, here. Also
I have found that increasing the spark retard "authority"
in the TCS/ASR tables makes the PCM be more in control,
and keep the "TCS brain" from attempting the throttle pull
(which it does only when spark retard fails, and to excess).
The spark retard is shift-benign.

The throttle relax part of it comes straight from the "TCS
brain" module and it's too dumb to program, I think. Same
for the brake end of things, which is done by the ABS but
commanded by the TCS brain.

You know what might be a cool, cheap mod? put a normally-
closed momentary switch off the gas pedal / throttle linkage
inline with the relaxer servo power so that if you have the
pedal down hard, it's cut out (but leave it alive for regular
low-trac situations on the street).
Old 12-23-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Keith, When are the 2-bar and/or 3-bar map going to be available? I can't wait to see what my little 4.8 can do before I put the 6.0 in. I really can't wait to see the 6.0 with 15-18lbs of boost running through it. Anyway, I just recieved my HP TUNERS today and I'm all wired up and excited about it. GREAT product!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
efi live has free updates right? and hp tuners u have to pay? so why not get something with free updates, hp tuners would cost more in the long run wouldnt it?
w/HPT minor updates are free (and bug fixes are always free) ... so if you bought 1.0 a year ago , every 1.x release you get regardless of your support ... but 2.0 is a major change so it requires you be within your upgrade agreement...

I've seen some 2.0 screenshots and can understand why you need to be within your upgrade period to get it... looks even better, and from tidbits i've gotten will have alot of new functionality included
Old 12-24-2004, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Can you guys share some of the 2.0 features...and give us an estimate of the upgrade cost for the 3 bar map tuning. There are a lot of us that are on the bubble (between EFILive and HPTuners). The upgrade costs for both packages are close to being even. So now, the coustomer truly can purchase based on features. There are some things that EFILive has that are great (blackbox logging, screen navigation, excellent scantool, free software upgrades, etc.) and HPTuners (good support, potential for 3 bar tuning @ at an upgraded price though, licensing strategy, etc.). I was leaning heavily towards HPTuners because of the 3 bar tuning, until I learned that it would come at an upgraded price that is tbd. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

when will this new one be out? would it be a free upgrade if i bought the 500 dollar one now and then if that came out in a month or so after i bought it. i wanna get the tuning stuff before my cam gets put in so i can tune for it.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah when will 2.0 be available
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 AM
FormerVendor

too early to say on 2.0, we have to get 1.6 out and shipping first. To answer the other question, 1.6.0 will be the first release to see 2bar support. 3bar is in testing now and will make it into a 1.6.x maintenance release, details will be up on our website soon.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I am in the same boat.

A couple of questions:

Are these actual hand held scanners that download to a PC?

Are these software packages that ultimately need to be tied to a laptop, etc. and plugged into the car?

Does the computer have to be removed at any time for tuning? Can it all be done through the data link (diagnostic link)????????

Bottom line, I am putting a LS1 in a 69 Camaro running the Painless harness and 98 style computer. I will need to turn off check lights, and do some tuning as I am considering cam/heads/intake mods.

I don't own a laptop at this time, and have no other need for one. I prefer the hand held all in one type tuner, but ease of use is what I am most interested in. I don't have the patients to build an entire fuel/spark map from scratch (nor do I have access to a dyno, etc).

So..how does my build need fit in with the available systems?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
So..how does my build need fit in with the available systems?
it really doesnt IMO...hpp is pretty much worthless to you, predator has been known to have issues once you start putting in heads/cam...not real sure about the vinci box because few have it...so that leaves you with ls1edit, hptuners and at some point in the next decade efi live...ls1edit is very dated and slow but can do the job, but for the same price basically you could have hptuners and be in the thick of things, but yes you definitly need a laptop with both uless you have a computer in your garage and can just extend the cable into the car...but even then youd have no way of logging anything with either of those programs...efi live is not out but will have an in car logger though im not sure if it can upload programs via the box??? oh and did i mention its not out yet? lol you gotta pay to play man your doing an ls1 with heads/cam into a 69 camaro yet your not willing to either pay someone to do your tune or get the tuning software & laptop and take some time to tune yourself? How bout you just give the camaro to ls1tech long with the motor and everything else so we can make it a project car because you sound very misguided lol.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by foff667
it really doesnt IMO...hpp is pretty much worthless to you, predator has been known to have issues once you start putting in heads/cam...not real sure about the vinci box because few have it...so that leaves you with ls1edit, hptuners and at some point in the next decade efi live...ls1edit is very dated and slow but can do the job, but for the same price basically you could have hptuners and be in the thick of things, but yes you definitly need a laptop with both uless you have a computer in your garage and can just extend the cable into the car...but even then youd have no way of logging anything with either of those programs...efi live is not out but will have an in car logger though im not sure if it can upload programs via the box??? oh and did i mention its not out yet? lol you gotta pay to play man your doing an ls1 with heads/cam into a 69 camaro yet your not willing to either pay someone to do your tune or get the tuning software & laptop and take some time to tune yourself? How bout you just give the camaro to ls1tech long with the motor and everything else so we can make it a project car because you sound very misguided lol.
I don't know if that was an honest attempt to help, or a flat out slap in my face.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know if that was an honest attempt to help, or a flat out slap in my face.
This guy is a genuine individual. He will help you any way he can. His last statement was a joke...not a slap in the face...Don't take things so seriously or you'll never enjoy life. Smile and be thankful for what you have!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badzracing
Keith, When are the 2-bar and/or 3-bar map going to be available? I can't wait to see what my little 4.8 can do before I put the 6.0 in. I really can't wait to see the 6.0 with 15-18lbs of boost running through it. Anyway, I just recieved my HP TUNERS today and I'm all wired up and excited about it. GREAT product!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone explain 2bar and 3bar map support to me. In simple terms if possible.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Can someone explain 2bar and 3bar map support to me. In simple terms if possible.
boost
Old 12-28-2004, 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
boost
to elaborate they are extending the VE table further so guys with boosted motors and a 2 or 3 bar map sensor can accurately tune this table...without the added range at a certain point you kinda fall off of a cliff and arent tuning as easily and accurately at wot.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

oh and i wasnt trying to be an all out dick but the fact is if your building a car dont go halfass on the little things otherwise it will bite you in the *** later is all im saying...if you dont feel confident tuning your own car find a reputible tuner and let them do it you'll be better off.

Quick Reply: HP Tuner or EFI Live