Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner or EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 0.02:

I can't say anything about HPT, as I've never owned or used the software, but I can say that I've been nothing but happy with my EFILive scan software. I simply can't imagine a better package for logging data. I ordered the new Flashscan tuner and datalogger package... if it is as good as the scanner always has been, I'm sure it will be great. Here are a few features I can't wait to get my hands on:

* Computerless logging.
* A/D converts for the Wideband.
* Theromcouple input (for EGT, or any other temperature reading).
* These in-software pivot tables.

I like the idea that I get upgrades for life w/ EFILive. I don't have to pay for new versions, except for maybe a new cable when a few new features come out in the future. Plus, I like the fact that I can tune four cars from ANY year.

Still, I'd love to at least get a look HPT. Everyone seems very happy with their product, as well.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we get a GP????
Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

can we get a GP????
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

A few thoughts...

I have watched all of the "which is better/which to buy" threads since last feb/mar. In all of the posts I've seen HP Tuners team has always been professional, corteous, and open to critisism. The EFILive team seems to me to go out of thier way to cause problems (DRAMA) on this forum.

Also, the HP Tuners team has taken an open, active, almost dominating approach to the sport we all love, drag racing. Who better to supply MY tuning software?! I want and need to see improvments/products that are biased towards an individuals needs (SD, 2/3 bar). HP tuners is supplying these needs.

I have lurked the HP tuners forum most everyday since I purchased my 02 Z28 in august. I can't even begin to describe what I have learned. Thanks to Chris, Keith, and Ken for allowing us to learn from all of you!

I will be purchacing HP Tuners. My laptop arrived on the 20th

P.S. - This is one mans lowly opinion, and really doesn't matter much. Just a little tired of all the BS.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
A few thoughts...

I have watched all of the "which is better/which to buy" threads since last feb/mar. In all of the posts I've seen HP Tuners team has always been professional, corteous, and open to critisism. The EFILive team seems to me to go out of thier way to cause problems (DRAMA) on this forum.

Also, the HP Tuners team has taken an open, active, almost dominating approach to the sport we all love, drag racing. Who better to supply MY tuning software?! I want and need to see improvments/products that are biased towards an individuals needs (SD, 2/3 bar). HP tuners is supplying these needs.

I have lurked the HP tuners forum most everyday since I purchased my 02 Z28 in august. I can't even begin to describe what I have learned. Thanks to Chris, Keith, and Ken for allowing us to learn from all of you!

I will be purchacing HP Tuners. My laptop arrived on the 20th

P.S. - This is one mans lowly opinion, and really doesn't matter much. Just a little tired of all the BS.
there was so much talk about efi live flashscan for such a long time but no action...it was all talk...hptuners has now been around for close to a year and still leads the way in every way IMO from price to product and until I see a better value I'll stick with my hptuners
Old 01-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Launching!

It's really amazing how some people here are able to say that one product is better than the other... when one product is just now out of beta.

EFILive is an established and respected software maker (anyone who uses the scan software knows how good it is), and people seem happy with PCT, so I imagine the new versions of both will be great, with advantages and disadvantages to each. Personally, I want to see the two of them duke it out... lower prices, with more features and support generally follow.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's really amazing how some people here are able to say that one product is better than the other... when one product is just now out of beta.
I never said the product was better.. I don't own either.

What I said was that I respect the HPT teams' positive activity on this forum and thier involvement in racing over the EFI teams' negative forum acitvity.

I know of no cars that the EFILive team members actively race so I can't comment on the racing experience of the EFILive team or thier ability to find and deliver new race oriented product features.

If there are EFILive team members who do actively race Gen III based vehicles I'll retract my previous statement
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
oh and i wasnt trying to be an all out dick but the fact is if your building a car dont go halfass on the little things otherwise it will bite you in the *** later is all im saying...if you dont feel confident tuning your own car find a reputible tuner and let them do it you'll be better off.
I am just seeking advice on the computer systems based upon my current comfort level. I am not seeking advice on the overall project. I accept your explanation.

Just some extra FYI. I have a 69 Corvette with a big block running the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI system. It is so simple and so easy to use it will blow your mind. It comes with an awesome all in one tuning/scanning/monitoring plug-n-play control head for instant calibration changes. It is not the ultimate in tuning the very last ounce of power from the motor, but more than adequate to slam my car in the 12's.

So, you can see my extra interest in a plug-n-play box. I have been looking at some cheap laptops. My company often gets rid of them for about $200. It may be best for me to look into one of those because it would only be used for car tuning.

I will keep watching this thread to see how the tuner opinions trend.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

i got a used laptop from my dads work...the best FREE mod ever...haha i got lucky as hell. its pleanty to run the program from what i understand, dont need anythng fancy, just excel on there. will any spreadsheet program work? like microsoft spread sheet?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i got a used laptop from my dads work...the best FREE mod ever...haha i got lucky as hell. its pleanty to run the program from what i understand, dont need anythng fancy, just excel on there. will any spreadsheet program work? like microsoft spread sheet?
If you're asking about EFILive, I have yet to use Excel or any other external program... it isn't necessary for anything I've ran into.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Same for HP Tuners scanner ... I use the histogram and charts, haven't used a spreadsheet in a long time
Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Both EFILive and HPTuners are reputable companies on the cutting edge of tuning software for our applications. Both will have advantages and dissadvatages over the other. Best thing you could do is locate people in your area that have these products and "test drive" them before you plop down your hard earned money. Choose the software that will best fit your current and future needs. You can't go wrong either way.

Edit: If you have money falling out your ***, buy both.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
You can't go wrong either way. If you have money falling out your ***, buy both.
i think this sums up the thread perfectly
Old 01-21-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Does this cover old versions of Autotap?. What’s the procedure for the trade–in? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Magnus
Perhaps this will make things easier.

VCM Suite is a proven product.
We have the most powerful editor and scanner combo available.
We support the most vehicles.
We allow you to tune an UNLIMITED number of vehicles of the year/models that you purchase.
We offer you 2 versions of our interface, the standard interface for only $499 or our Enhnaced IO interface which has 4 inputs and 2 programmable outputs which you cannot buy anywhere else.
We update our product on a regular basis and often implement exactly what our customers request.
We support 2bar and 3bar MAP programming.
We support V6 vehicles as well.
We will be supporting LS2 vehicles soon.
We will be supporting 4 cyl and duramax vehicles soon.
We a very helpful customer base on our forum that can help you with questions you may have.
We respond to e-mails promptly.

And.. the kicker... we will be releasing a new version of our software in the near future (projected february release) simply called VCM Suite 2.0. 2.0 contains all the power, functionality and ease of use of our current 1.x series of software as well as many new features never seen before. I know my oppinion is biased but nothing compares to VCM Suite 2.0. I wish I could say more about it but it will have to wait until later. All orders placed now will receive the 2.0 update for free.

We also have trade-in incentives. Trade in your existing hardware and save.

Trade-in credits:
Carputing: $200 (making $299 to purchase STD interface or $449 for EIO)
EFI Live: $250 (making $249 to purchase STD interface or $349 for EIO)
Carputing + EFI Live: $350 (making $149 to purchase STD interface or $299 for EIO)
Autotap: $100 (making $399 to purchase STD interface or $549 for EIO)
Hypertech/Predator: $50 (making $449 to purchase STD interface or $599 for EIO)
DHP: $350 (costs $149 to purchase STD interface or $249 for EIO)

HP Tuners is without a doubt the product to have. We are constantly bringing you new products and new updates and will continue to do so.

- Keith, HP Tuners

Quick Reply: HP Tuner or EFI Live