PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Dyno tuning near Pittsburgh????

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004 | 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Dyno tuning near Pittsburgh????

Hey I was just wondering where the closest dyno tuner is. I'll have to get my car tuned in the spring, so I figured I'd start looking.

Matt
Old 12-11-2004 | 10:49 AM
Teching In

Talking Dyno tune

Hey, I live 100 miles south of you on I 79 in Fairmont,WV. There is no good place to dyno tune nearby that I know of. There is a speed shop in Washington, PA but have heard to many bad things about them. I went to Rapid Motorsports in Phoenixville, PA. About 300 mi. from you. Best thing I ever did. Mikey is one of the best and you do not have to worry about his work. I,ve been back 3 times after every mod. Mikey makes me happy.
Old 12-11-2004 | 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by Scotts 02 SS
Hey, I live 100 miles south of you on I 79 in Fairmont,WV. There is no good place to dyno tune nearby that I know of. There is a speed shop in Washington, PA but have heard to many bad things about them. I went to Rapid Motorsports in Phoenixville, PA. About 300 mi. from you. Best thing I ever did. Mikey is one of the best and you do not have to worry about his work. I,ve been back 3 times after every mod. Mikey makes me happy.

I'm in Pittsburgh, and I'm going to go with Bryan at PCMforless.com He's near Reading, and his prices are very reasonable.
Old 12-11-2004 | 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in Columbus, OH, about a 3 hour drive for you. PM me about your car and mods!

Bill
Old 12-12-2004 | 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Well, I was thinking about Rapid Motorsports, but....Their dyno tune numbers are a little low...there's people that are making over 400 hp to the wheel with headers and a cam. and people with heads, cam, and full bolt ons that have Rapids tune that are only making 415-430 HP....??? I dont get it....Hell I'm thinking about just selling the heads and swapping out cams. Of course, that s just what I've read, they might be the best...but I couldnt tell you??? I've talked to PCMFORLESS before, he seemed real cool, and he has a good reputation with the LT1 Impala's.

Matt
Old 12-12-2004 | 08:07 PM
Restricted User

Just get HP Tuners and do it yourself...
Old 12-12-2004 | 08:33 PM
On The Tree

???...hey are you the guy that took your WS6 up to the track with the window sticker on it and ran 13.0's???
Old 12-12-2004 | 09:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

See my Dominator head and cam numbers in my sig. I also tune my own 9 second car. Problem with the low numbers is I tune everyones packages and some are not the highest quality packages and I can't pull horsepower where there is none. I will not do a 14:1 a/f, 36 degree time bomb tune just to pick up 5 hp. I tune my customers cars for the real world and not for the Dynojet. I can tell you that I will take a 380rwhp car tuned for the track over a 400rwhp leaned out dyno queen any day and wipe it up in real driving.

Its an independant dyno so there are no games played.

My h/c package are making 430 for the mild packages and over 500 for the wild ones (still on pump gas).

Last edited by mikey; 12-12-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2004 | 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Hey man, I'm not at all sayin you're not good at what you do...I just think that if you can make 415rwhp with a cam and bolt ons....You'd think heads would make more than 15-20 hp over the cam. I'm NOT bad mouthin you man. just tryin to make the most HP with what I have. I think I'm going to go with a different cam.

Thanks, Matt
Old 12-12-2004 | 09:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by chevysrule94
Hey man, I'm not at all sayin you're not good at what you do...I just think that if you can make 415rwhp with a cam and bolt ons....You'd think heads would make more than 15-20 hp over the cam. I'm NOT bad mouthin you man. just tryin to make the most HP with what I have. I think I'm going to go with a different cam.

Thanks, Matt
No problem. Let us know how it turns out

I agree with you on the hp numbers. Depends on the heads. Some show higher gains than others. If I said "you get what you pay for", that may give you a clue We did our 234/240/110 cam on a 2002 SS and it put down 416rwhp. We added a set of customer supplied brand X budget heads and made 427rwhp. Swapped in our stage II's and made 461rwhp.
Old 12-13-2004 | 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I was thinking about Rapid Motorsports, but....Their dyno tune numbers are a little low...there's people that are making over 400 hp to the wheel with headers and a cam. and people with heads, cam, and full bolt ons that have Rapids tune that are only making 415-430 HP....??? I dont get it....Hell I'm thinking about just selling the heads and swapping out cams. Of course, that s just what I've read, they might be the best...but I couldnt tell you??? I've talked to PCMFORLESS before, he seemed real cool, and he has a good reputation with the LT1 Impala's.

Matt

Dude trust me go see Mikey at Rapid. Look at the tiny cam that i have and the numbers that he pulled out of it. And where did you see that his dyno numbers are low? All i have seen are numbers that are better then most out there. Before you go and say that those cars have low numbers look what they have in them. A car with great head and small cam is still gonna dyno low even if god tunes it. Go to mikey you will not be dissapointed.
Old 12-13-2004 | 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks, Matt

Also i had may car originally tuned by a sponser that was supposed to be the best out there. I was not happy with the tune and drove 250 miles to Mikey to have him tune it. The car picked up 21 rwhp, 19 rwtq, gets close to 17 mpg city and 26 mpg hw. More importanly my car went from a 12.7@109 with a 1.8 60' on nittos power shifting to a 12.3@114 with on street tires granny shifting with full weight, even a spare and a stock 10-bolt with 3.42's. I wish i saw this post sooner so i could smack the hell out of you. Mike tuned me an 11 sec car that has better street manners then it was stock.

Paul

Paul
Old 12-13-2004 | 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Hmm, that is alot from one tune to another!! I'm not sayin he's bad!!! I just thought that the car this setup was previously on should have made more power?? But what do I know.... I'm still kinda new to LS1's. I'm sorry if I offended you Mikey and friends ....will you tune my car in a few months???

Matt
Old 12-13-2004 | 10:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmm, that is alot from one tune to another!! I'm not sayin he's bad!!! I just thought that the car this setup was previously on should have made more power?? But what do I know.... I'm still kinda new to LS1's. I'm sorry if I offended you Mikey and friends ....will you tune my car in a few months???

Matt
LOL Yeah but you have to bring me some

Mikey
Old 12-13-2004 | 10:50 AM
On The Tree

No Problem....... I cant wait to ...but not after .... I'll let you know when I'm ready, and I'll pick up a case and head up your way.

Matt
Old 12-14-2004 | 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by PG45
Also i had may car originally tuned by a sponser that was supposed to be the best out there. I was not happy with the tune and drove 250 miles to Mikey to have him tune it. The car picked up 21 rwhp, 19 rwtq, gets close to 17 mpg city and 26 mpg hw. More importanly my car went from a 12.7@109 with a 1.8 60' on nittos power shifting to a 12.3@114 with on street tires granny shifting with full weight, even a spare and a stock 10-bolt with 3.42's. I wish i saw this post sooner so i could smack the hell out of you. Mike tuned me an 11 sec car that has better street manners then it was stock.

Paul

Paul
My guess your first tuner didn't get the timing at 28 degrees and the air/fuel wasn't even close, not hard to do if you know what you are doing. Was it a mail order tune?

I did the same on a MTI mail order tune for a 2002 Z06, I gained about 24HP and 12TQ at the wheels for a buddy of mine. He is putting down 441HP & 412Tq at the wheels.

WOT tuning on the dyno is a cake walk if you know how to do it, it's the part throttle tuning that can be a pain on some cars...

Bill
Old 12-14-2004 | 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Billiumss
My guess your first tuner didn't get the timing at 28 degrees and the air/fuel wasn't even close, not hard to do if you know what you are doing. Was it a mail order tune?

I did the same on a MTI mail order tune for a 2002 Z06, I gained about 24HP and 12TQ at the wheels for a buddy of mine. He is putting down 441HP & 412Tq at the wheels.

WOT tuning on the dyno is a cake walk if you know how to do it, it's the part throttle tuning that can be a pain on some cars...

Bill

No wasn't a mail order tune, they had the car for a month to tune it and it was just crap. It is just a shame that you can't even say anything without getting the moderators pissed. The shop knows that i had problems with the tune and said i was just being to picky. Hmm, Mike how long did it take you to tune the car right? An hour? maybe 2? Point being the previous shop didnt care. They got my $$ and the job was done for them. On top of that, they left the stock springs in and then i paid for double and would only refund me $280 where MSRP from Manley was like 350+. But whats done is done and Mikey fixed all of this new jersey shop's (not TTP or east coast supercharging, there is only one more it could be) mistakes and now my car is finaly fun to drive.
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PG45
No wasn't a mail order tune, they had the car for a month to tune it and it was just crap. It is just a shame that you can't even say anything without getting the moderators pissed. The shop knows that i had problems with the tune and said i was just being to picky. Hmm, Mike how long did it take you to tune the car right? An hour? maybe 2? Point being the previous shop didnt care. They got my $$ and the job was done for them. On top of that, they left the stock springs in and then i paid for double and would only refund me $280 where MSRP from Manley was like 350+. But whats done is done and Mikey fixed all of this new jersey shop's (not TTP or east coast supercharging, there is only one more it could be) mistakes and now my car is finaly fun to drive.

Damn, Ouch!!!

The way I work, if I can't tune it or get it to run right, then no charge! Your car mods don't seem too radical, maybe your car was the 1st LS1 they tuned........ PM me who, if you don't mind...

Glad to here that you got it done "right" this time!!!

Quick Reply: Dyno tuning near Pittsburgh????