Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harlan Shiftlight Troouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Harlan Shiftlight Troouble

I just received my new Harlan Shiftlight, and it is an awesome product. I proceeded to install it. Got the power from a switched source in the fusebox and the ground from a nearby ground source. The problem it seems, is the the green wire. I hooked it up to the #10 wire on the Red coonector on the PCM. I then programmed it at 4 cylinders (which is supposed to be correct for LS1 vehicles) and it flashed 8 times for the 8 cylinders. I then programmed the rpm turn on points and checked and it was correct. However the light does not turn on when I hit the targeted rpm. I made sure that the connections were secured and tight. Then I started messing around with the white wire and it came apart (I used a splice connector and it tore it). Then the weirdest thing happened, the tach on the cluster was still functioning correctly. It was my understanding that the white wire on 99 and up is for the tach signal. My car is a 2001 Trans Am .So how is this possible? I put the wires back together by twisting them and wrapping them with black tape. Any suggestions or ideas on how I can make my light work, also on how I can better connect my wires in a more reliable and professional way. I am lost. I have searched the threads and nothing. You guys are my last resort.Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Hector
Old 01-27-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

The tach is not controlled by the tach lead, so that's why your tach is still working

When you set the light for 4 cylinder, it will flash 4 times not 8.

The light is not triggering because it's set for 8 cylinders, and you're feeding it a tach signal that looks like a 4 cylinder. So it's only reading half the RPM you think it is.

4 cylinder mode is switch #2 on, all others off. Press and hold the 1st button to set. You should get 4 flashes back.

The best thing to do is solder the connections Or at the very least us the smaller sized crimp taps (red not blue)

FWIW, I hate those crimp things
Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have a problem with my harlan shift light. I think I got it all hooked up right, but Im still got getting any low 8 second timeslips. Maybe its broken.

trans_am_31 - Are you talking about "wire taps"? The little connectors that crimp around a wire and let you splice in another wire? Like an electrical Y pipe? I dont like those things either. Instead of using one of those, I just removed a little bit of insulation off my PCM wire with a razor blade and wrapped the stripped end of the new wire around the bare PCM wire section. I then melted some parafin wax over it to seal it up good before I used some 3/8 electrical tape as final protection.

-T
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

y2khawk,

Thanks, for your advice. What I was trying to say in my last post is that I put switch#4 on and it gave me 8 flashes meaning its for an 8 cylinder. So I am lost. Soldering is a great idea, Thank You! I know what you mean by those crimp things. I did use the red ones but it still split my wire in half. Now does the wire gauge have anything to do with the install? Does it have to be a certain gauge? By the way, impressive car, really, really awesome car.

Thanks, Hector
Old 01-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

GuitsBoy,

Thanks, for your advice. It also seems like a good idea. I will connect the wires back together and add the third wire onto the other two. I will then solder them and either put the shrink stuff or the wax you mentioned. Where can I find that type of wax? Does it protet good?

Thanks, Hector
Old 01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since the wire is already split, youre probably better off using shrink tubing. If you wanted to add the wax to seal out moisture and corrosion, just drip a candle over the wires. Put some newspaper under it to catch the drips though!

As far as the other issue, even though the LS1 is an 8 cylinder engine, the signal that the ECM puts out is that of a four cylinder.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

You need to set the light for 4 cylinder (switch #2)

The tach signal is only 2 pulses per rev of the motor, and to the light that looks like a 4 cylinder.

Thus, the 4 cylinder setting.

If you've got any other questions, you can just email or PM me. I've got most of the setting memorized after making those things for a little while
Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Harlan, I didnt realize it was you. Hey man, seriously you make an awesome product. I really thank you for shipping it out super fast, Also for taking your time and answering my questions. I will try that and let you know. Once again awesome product and car. Thanks, H ector
Old 01-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

Harlan,
I SWITCHED TO THE #2 AND SURE ENOUGH THE SHIFTLIGHT STARTED TO WORK. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, WITH BOTH YOUR CAR AND YOUR PRODUCTS.WHAT DOES THE 2 STEP DO. I MIGHT BUY IT. THANKS,HECTOR