PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune to recover lost HP, please help !

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune to recover lost HP, please help !

Hi,
i have a view questions which i couldnt answer to myself by just using the search function:
I have the following Mods done on my 97 C5 LS1: K&N FIPK gen. II, High Flow MAF, High Flow Air coupler, B&B Triflow cat backs, R/T Cats, R/T x-Pipe. I dynoed the car and got 362 (DIN) HP. That was 6 HP less than the previous Dyno (DIN 368,5 HP)which i did without the R/T x-pipe and cats.
So acctually i lost 6,5 HP from the R/T cats and x-pipes (i guess car is running too lean under wot). I bought HPTuners to reprogramm Fuel trim to recover the lost ponies.
The question is, how to approach this now. I logged a view runs and found the ltft beeing OK logging MAFless (cells between -4 and 0, just a little spot is positive which i will recalibrate). However, when i plug in the MAF Sensor, the ltfts are all between +13 and +20. There is no knock retard at all during any driving condition, even i have the Hypertech PPIII installed.

So what is the best way to find best fuel trim for this condition, MAF tuning or PE settings ?

I really hope you guys can help me with this problem.

Take care,

Jochen
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

What problem?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

put stock MAF back on
Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ what he said ....

You can try scaling the MAF tables as well to bring the LTFTs back down to 0, but I would stay w/the stock MAF ...

What kind of high flow MAF do you have? SLP 85mm? LS6 85mm? GMS?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Teching In

The problem is, how to recover the lost HP. Thats the question.
Aint there a way to calibrate this MAF Sensor for best fueling ?

Thanks,

Jochen
Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Teching In

The MAF is a Stock Unit, without screen and polished from Westcoastcorvette. They advertised as well "recalibrated" . . .
Old 03-22-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, there's a MAF table under airflow (don't have HPT installed on this box but can check tonight) , if you're happy w/your VE tune then you'll want to scale the MAF to bring the LTFTs back inline

Keep in mind also ... even w/corrections for weather, a dyno may not yield the same value today as it did 2 weeks ago ... depends on how the weather is still
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks, i understand.
So you think as long as i plan to keep the MAF installed it is a good idea to calibrate the VE table while the MAF sensor is installed like i did it with the MAF sensor unplugged. After that calibrate the MAF/Airflow table to get fuel trim right . . .

I appreciate your fast help !

Jochen
Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by horist
Keep in mind also ... even w/corrections for weather, a dyno may not yield the same value today as it did 2 weeks ago ... depends on how the weather is still
that's exactly what I was thinking, that there may be no lost power other than tired plugs, springs, or just different DA (air).

If you want to change your fueling for a power tune, then you'll need some test equipment like a wideband O2, and an accelerometer so you can do multiple power tests.

First you want to get an idea what your AFR looks like by doing a few full baseline runs with a WBO2.

When you get to that point let us know and post the results.