PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In SD mode, a 98-00 USES A SECONDARY VE TABLE??? G^& D^&*#$!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In SD mode, a 98-00 USES A SECONDARY VE TABLE??? G^& D^&*#$!!!!!

Man... what a way to waste a weekend. I was having thoughts like:

"How the $%^& is this supposed to work if the VE doesnt do anything?"

"Are these people collectively halucinating some effect from this?"

"I wonder if most people go through 14 tunes in one day and 3 tanks of gas."

Maybe y'all can edit your "How too"s to reflect this? Combined with the Primary table being a "favorite" on HPTuners, it's a pretty easy trap.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98-00 use the secondary table 01+ use the primary
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha that sux...i thought this was generally known info.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Haha, I did the same thing the first time. 3 tanks of gas though? Sucks.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Can you get around this on a 99 by reflashing your VCM to a 2002?

More Than Zero
Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M_T_0
Can you get around this on a 99 by reflashing your VCM to a 2002?

More Than Zero
yes, I'm running a 2002 PCM OS in my 2000 Car for that very reason

Just keep in mind not everything's the same (such as injector size)
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe y'all can edit your "How too"s to reflect this? Combined with the Primary table being a "favorite" on HPTuners, it's a pretty easy trap.
I mean there's only like a million references to this type of info in the last 6 months.

Tuning is like this: Don't expect everything to be laid out for you cuz it won't be... There's loads and loads of viable information that help you understand the why's and what's. There's also alot of people on here that have spent loads of time to help make the learning process be easier but in the end it's still you that has to educate yourself. Tuning ain't about cliff notes, put the time into learning it instead of letting the rest of us learn it for you.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
I mean there's only like a million references to this type of info in the last 6 months.

Tuning is like this: ... Tuning ain't about cliff notes, put the time into learning it instead of letting the rest of us learn it for you.
Well, OK, Im cool then... because I had to determine this stuff for myself.

How about I ask folks to put this in the "step by step" how-to's and at least the folks that don't want to be cool can still get some OK tuning done.

I agree that a person should learn what they are doing. But there's "learning the hard way" and "wasting 12 hours to learn something simple." There IS a difference between the two. The first one leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment. The second one leaves me feeling irritated.

This isn't some complete luxury for me. My car came from the last vendor with a *VERY* rudimentary "get it out the door with some nice dyno numbers" tune. In order to enjoy this car and have some form of reliability, I *need* to get this tuning worked out. I'll work at being cool and wise when I have some spare time.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i'd think after the first 3-4 flashes and no change in a/f you'd know something was up and would at least search/ask...i had to the other day...after about 2 1/2hrs i just kinda gave up, then again i knew what had to be done but for some reason the computer wasnt doing it. Thats why the forums here, to ask questions if your having issues.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
i'd think after the first 3-4 flashes and no change in a/f you'd know something was up and would at least search/ask...i had to the other day...after about 2 1/2hrs i just kinda gave up, then again i knew what had to be done but for some reason the computer wasnt doing it. Thats why the forums here, to ask questions if your having issues.
One has to get past the "I'm not succeeding at something basic. Asking about this would be like asking 'What cam should I use?' in Internal Engine". Either way... thanks to a post by Horist noticing that it was missing form the How-Tos, I finally picked up on my mistake. One *should* promote "reading before posting", right?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Wait so the primary VE table on a 98-00 car is completely ignored and useless for a 98-00? We can completely ignore it and forget about changing it?

I agree, I have never seen this posted in any of the tutorials...this should be made more clear!
I always just changed both because it was unstated...
Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

from what ive understood is the primary ve for 98-00 is used only in closed loop...the secondary is used in SD therefore when doing a sd tune or SD back to closed loop both the primary/secondary need to corralate.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by txhorns281

Tuning is like this: Don't expect everything to be laid out for you cuz it won't be... There's loads and loads of viable information that help you understand the why's and what's. There's also alot of people on here that have spent loads of time to help make the learning process be easier but in the end it's still you that has to educate yourself. Tuning ain't about cliff notes, put the time into learning it instead of letting the rest of us learn it for you.

All advancments In technology are made by standing on the accomplishments of others and using there knowledge to build on. so In one respect I agree with you (become educated) but there is also a very good reason to try to improve the delivery of knowledge to others and that is what this forum is for and I think that this thread helps others in that reguard.

just IMO.

More Than Zero
Old 04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
9 Second Club

can I flash my 2000 pcm with a 2002 f-body file and it still work? I mean I am only licensed for 00 f-body..if I am able to flash it with a 01+ bin, will hptuners still work with it or will it now think its a 01-02 pcm and say i dont have licensing for it.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incase there's any doubt which table it uses. Copy and paste your primary VE table to the secondary. Thats what I did.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cablebandit
can I flash my 2000 pcm with a 2002 f-body file and it still work? I mean I am only licensed for 00 f-body..if I am able to flash it with a 01+ bin, will hptuners still work with it or will it now think its a 01-02 pcm and say i dont have licensing for it.
no you can only flash to a different year if you have a license for that other year
Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
from what ive understood is the primary ve for 98-00 is used only in closed loop...the secondary is used in SD therefore when doing a sd tune or SD back to closed loop both the primary/secondary need to corralate.
You're mixing up closed loop with maf mode. The primary ve table is used in maf mode, so if you reenable your maf you want to make sure you've made the changes to the primary as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Visceral
I agree that a person should learn what they are doing. But there's "learning the hard way" and "wasting 12 hours to learn something simple." There IS a difference between the two. The first one leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment. The second one leaves me feeling irritated.
I agree with you about it being stupid to waste hours of your time when someone could help you out in 30 seconds and solve your problem. The problem with the tuning how to that's going around is it was just cut and pasted from a lot of different places. If it needs a correction is there someone who's in charge of that? I don't think there is.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heheheheh....Maybe that will be my contribution to the cause... an Amateur Document Version Control system.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
no you can only flash to a different year if you have a license for that other year
DO NOT REFLASH A 98 PCM. Bad things will happen to you from what I hear.

Quick Reply: In SD mode, a 98-00 USES A SECONDARY VE TABLE??? G^& D^&*#$!!!!!