Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start?

hey efi users.i recently purchased efi live and was wondering where to begin on tuning my baby?im not sure what im lookin at exactly.not sure what numbers are good and what arent.i know the car isnt running worth a sh@t but not sure where to begin gettin everything in order.any suggestions and help would be apreciated.thanks in advanced
Old 09-13-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

where to start....

Start with the stickies at the top of this section and the search button. There is a lot of great information available on this site that should help you with most every question you'll have.

Personally, I go in this order:
!DTC Enablers/MIL's
!maf
IFR Table
Idle
VE
spark
VE
fine tuning
Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck. I think the HPtuners people seem to be more helpful then the EFILive guys. Have EFILive myself. You will not find ANY shared files for modified motors. And when I go to the forum at Live they seem to be an advanced bunch who don't like to help the beginner. I have had mine for about 4 months and just now I actually have it (cam and some other mods) running good, idle and such. I think I am going to try the SD tuning next and get my VE table right. I hope you have better luck then me getting help. Good luck with your tuning. On hindsight it was good learning myself and knowing how and why things work. Happy tuning!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why it is hard to get help is because it is very hard to tell someone how to tune a car in an internet post! I regularly use all of the tuning programs (LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, FlashScan), and FlashScan is far and above the best in my opinion. I would check out the autotune sticky over on the EFILive site. But basically,
-a wideband is a must
-get the car to idle first
-tune the VE table using the wideband in open loop speed density
-tune the MAF table using the wideband, still in open loop
-put the car back in closed loop and fine tune

I know this is extremely over simplified - there are a lot of details including creating/using the maps and BEN factor in FlashScan. Try reading some of the stickies on this board and EFILive - they contain a lot of good information. Its too bad EFILive (or the others for that matter) doesn't offer a school to specifically learn their software and hands on tuning.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys.i know its gonna take time to figure all this stuff out.and as of right now time is not what i have.first thing i need to do is understand what all the tables and such are.biggest prob for is trying to figure out what is actually good as far a/f and such.as you can see in my sig ive got a few mods done and have done no tuning in exception to what was done by livernoismotorsports which was deleting the rear o2s and up the shift points in the trans.didnt relize how big of an effect lack of tuning would have on the performance.ill be askin lots of questions as i start this.one thing i was wondering though is where do you guys flash youre comp at?im mean in the car or with a bench harness?thanks again.lookin forward to the learning experiance.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1powrdta
where do you guys flash youre comp at?im mean in the car or with a bench harness?thanks again.lookin forward to the learning experiance.
Plugs into the OBDII DLC connector inside your car
Old 09-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

i know it plugs into the car but i seen that efilive doesnt recomend that the flashing is done with comp still in the car.was just wondering if anyone was doing so or not.dont want to damage the pcm by doing so if it will flashing it connected to the vehicle.just being cautious since this is my first time tuning.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

With efilive you can look at any shared bin file or tun. So all the shared file sites work. Even Horists Awsome collection.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1powrdta
i know it plugs into the car but i seen that efilive doesnt recomend that the flashing is done with comp still in the car.was just wondering if anyone was doing so or not.dont want to damage the pcm by doing so if it will flashing it connected to the vehicle.just being cautious since this is my first time tuning.
You should be safe doing a calibration flash with Flashscan , there was a post somewhere where someone set out to try to kill a pcm with flashscan and failed .
Think they are referring to doing a full flash being safer with a bench flasher , witch you would only need if you are changing the operating system . I have done a full flash on my pcm in the car and it went ok (with HPT) but wont be doing it all the time .
Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks.just wanted to make sure