PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Question (worth the money why or why not?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Hypertech Question (worth the money why or why not?)

why do alot of people think its a waste of money? i have an a4 and think it will help me out on when i whant it to sift, raise my rev limiter, shift harder, and doesnt it tune it for more power, better gas? Please correct me if im wrong before i go out and spend some money on this thing.. Thanks

Last edited by youngrigo; 09-14-2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: new title
Old 09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you buy a used one, then it is decent.

$350-400 new, when it does only a handful of changes, is kinds overpriced to this market. For the money new, I would not purchase such a limited flasher with very limited adjustments.

If a handheld canned tuner is all you want, then I would look into the crane tuner.

Ryan
Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by youngrigo
why do alot of people think its a waste of money?
because it is....

the power tune for performance is a joke... lots of cars have adverse reactions to it

on an A4 it's slightly more worth it due to being able to change shift properties....

but IMHO buying it brand new is stupid... if you can get it used for under 100 (and guaranteed it'll work w/your car... meaning it's 100% unlocked) then it's a nice gadget...

The Crane/Vinci unit and RWTD Predator units provide ALOT more functionality

and the real tuning packages offer even more....

before there were real tuning solutions out there... Hypertech made a killing... now they make a killing because they have a large advertising budget.... but any informed consumer would stay far far away from that crap (and yes I have owned an HPP3.. and I have looked at their "power tune" ....)
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had one awhile back. It was alright and considering how much they are, they are useless. It does not allow you do do much adjusting and it downloads very, very slow. I am talking about 20 minutes and that puts your electrical system and PCM at risk. This would not be the time to have a weak battery and trash the PCM or the HPP3. Save the cash for proven mods and if you are in to tuning, HP Tuners or EFILive are the only proven options.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Just see Alvin or Bryan at PCMforless.com and you'll get the best tune for chip or OBDII cars you can possibly get. These guys are GOOD!!! If you really wanna wake up your ride, check em out....And, their custom tunes are inexpensive and easy to flash/install. I did it and I'm a happy man...
mudkat

Last edited by horist; 09-15-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

01 hypertech wouldnt work on a 02 right?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by youngrigo
01 hypertech wouldnt work on a 02 right?

dunno...you might wanna check their site. I know an 01 won't work for an 00, but the 00 has the LS1 intake and EGR. I think the engine setups for 01 and 02 are about the same.

mudkat
Old 09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

HPP3 can only change WOT shift points, not part throttle shift points. A used one for $100 is ok if you need it for a gear change and your only mods will be a lid & catback. If you are going to do more mods such as headers, cam, etc, you'll need full tuning capabilities to get the most from your set-up. Plus once you can change your part throttle shift points & lock-up, you'll realize how much more drivable an A4 can be. Therefore, you probably should save your $$ and put it toward something useful.