PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

???Is there any write up on making LC-1 wideband work with HP Tuners???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???Is there any write up on making LC-1 wideband work with HP Tuners???

Im trying to get my Innovate LC-1 wideband to work with my HP Tuners but theres so many wires and Im not sure which ones go where on the pigtail for HPT. Anyone have a diagram that shows what wires go where? It would help out a lot.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red 12V supply - To a 12 fused ignition source
Blue Heater Ground - Chassis ground
White System Ground - To our EIO black wire
Yellow Analog out 1 **
Brown Analog out 2 **
Green Analog Ground - To our EIO black wire
Black Calibration wire - To a push button switch that is grounded
Old 09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Does the ** mean that the yellow and brown arent used? What do I do with all the other wires? How many arent being used on the pigtail?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JetVette
Does the ** mean that the yellow and brown arent used? What do I do with all the other wires? How many arent being used on the pigtail?
Tape them up... That is what I did.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JetVette
Not exactly. I've just completed my LC-1 install and it works great.

THe "**" wires are the two analog outputs from the LC-1. As shipped the analog 1 is configured as a narrow band O2 and the analog 2 is configured as a wideband. Therefore, you want to connect the analog 2, LC-1 brown wire, to an EIO pigtails input. Most folks choose the pigtail white wire. This will then be read my HPT as input 1.

Feel free to ping me with questions.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

any diagrams?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Teching In

No diagram. Sorry.

The info above, in the first post, is exactly correct.

On the LC-1 side..

Red to switched fused 12v
Blue to chassis ground
White and Green to EIO pigtail black
Brown to EIO pigtail white
Yellow is unused (is programmed to output narrowband O2 as shipped)

On the EIO side...
Black to LC-1 green and white
White to LC-1 brown
the rest are unused

Only issue I had was on the EIO black and I've seen the quest in several threads. It provides a reference ground signal from the HPT interface box, but does not get "grounded" via an additional wire to chassis ground. It should only connect to the LC-1 green and white.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mfrnka
No diagram. Sorry.

The info above, in the first post, is exactly correct.

On the LC-1 side..

Red to switched fused 12v
Blue to chassis ground
White and Green to EIO pigtail black
Brown to EIO pigtail white
Yellow is unused (is programmed to output narrowband O2 as shipped)

On the EIO side...
Black to LC-1 green and white
White to LC-1 brown
the rest are unused

Only issue I had was on the EIO black and I've seen the quest in several threads. It provides a reference ground signal from the HPT interface box, but does not get "grounded" via an additional wire to chassis ground. It should only connect to the LC-1 green and white.
you can take ALL grounds to the same chassis point

The EIO black can be gronded to the same chasis ground as the oher wires as long as you have a suficient size wire going to the main grounding point
I have helped several people hook theirs up this way and have had no problems
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Teching In

You *can* ground the EIO black, via another ground wire to chassis ground, if you want and it should work ok. It's only an issue if there's a significant difference between your HPT module ground and the chassis ground. I've had mine both ways with no problems.

HPT never fully explains this point. At least that I could find. After much research, I do not believe the EIO black was intended to have another chassis ground attached. From what I gathered, the EIO black wire provides a ground so the HPT module and LC-1 module share the same "reference" ground. Tieing in another chassis ground wire appears to defeat the purpose - you may as well just run the LC-1 green and whilte to chassis ground and skip the EIO black. Then again, I'm no electrical engineer.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
8 Second Club

by conecting them all to a common ground you are making it all have the same ground potential...In the audio world(my profession) we practice this to its extreme..Its called star grounding...It keeps teh ground stable and ensures that everything has a proper ground..(it also tends to keep musicians from getting electricuted if there is an electrical problem..LOL)
Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I don't doubt your professional skills.

I not sure the pin matching the black EIO pigtails wire serves as an overall ground for the HPT module. I believe this comes from the underdash connector. If they're not tied together internally, you're grounding the LC-1 to chassis and not to the HPT module "reference" lvl as it should be.

To an extent, I think we may be trying to get the opposite of star grounding. If there is a difference between the HPT interface module ground and chassis ground, you want the LC-1 tied to the HPT module ground so there's no inconsistency in their readings.

Just trying explain my thinking and kick around some ideas. HPT documetation could use a lot of work in this area. But I bet it's all better in HPT 2.0.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

In a car everything is on a common ground system..everything attatches to teh sam eground by means of the chassis... by making the EIO a common ground with this you will get more consistent readings as compared to having it own grounding which may vary depending on many other factors
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mfrnka
As shipped the analog 1 is configured as a narrow band O2 and the analog 2 is configured as a wideband.
So by the sounds of that, I can replace one of my OE sensors with the LC1, and use the "narrow band" to the PCM and the "wide band" to my laptop?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPRYZE
So by the sounds of that, I can replace one of my OE sensors with the LC1, and use the "narrow band" to the PCM and the "wide band" to my laptop?
Yes.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

steve.. you really need to get that wideband on that car and get the A/F ratios all in check.... you already went 117 mph.. thats awesome in 5800 D/A cam only..

get some better tires, a good 60ft and you will easily see deep 11's.... maybe 120+ mph
Old 10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUPRYZE
Any info on how one would do that? I really don't want to weld a new bung on just for a wideband only thing.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm interested in doing the same thing. Instead of welding an extra bung you should be able to just remove on of the O2's and replace with a wideband......right?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by muncie21
I'm interested in doing the same thing. Instead of welding an extra bung you should be able to just remove on of the O2's and replace with a wideband......right?
Yes.

Cut up an old NBO2 sensor or a header O2 extension cable and splice to the LC-1 red, blue, yellow, green wires; the yellow wire is NBO2 signal.

Then splice an extra green wire to the LC-1 green, and route it and the brown to your PC, FlashScan or whatever you use for logging; the brown wire is WBO2 signal.

Replace NBO2 sensor with WBO2 in exhaust pipe.

Remember to calibrate LC-1.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

would the wb have to be calibrated for free air every time the car is started? Or if you were just using it for NB PCM work could it be just turned on?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Innovate website says to calibrate every 3 months for street use.

Quick Reply: ???Is there any write up on making LC-1 wideband work with HP Tuners???