PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, talk about an IDIOT....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, he doesn't believe in VE tuning, except for idle. I'm really surprised to hear about the bad results, it sounds like JR must have had a bad day. Even when he gets a car tuned well, he's pretty good about following up to make any further tweaks, if necessary.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got this guys car from 10 mpg to about 13-14 mpg around town and the tune isnt quite perfect yet either.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i got this guys car from 10 mpg to about 13-14 mpg around town and the tune isnt quite perfect yet either.
I'm sure you'll get it perfect. Hang in there!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Predator if you really feel like making the comparison without spending any money you can dload the trail version of EFILives software at http://www.efilive.com/downloads/sof...14_456_329.exe then you can go through and compare what is there and what isnt. The descritions alone for each table and its functionality will help you along with any questions you may have about the new things you see in the software. Play around with it for some time and then maybe you can come back and tell us your experience using a newer tuning tool.

When i look at the tuning tools and take edit and compare it to EFILive I see it like this.

I am a carpenter and my boss just asked me to break a 4" concrete slab and hands me a hammer used for nailing nails in decks or wood (Edit). Of course I can still break the slab but how long is it gonna take or how efficient will i be at breaking this slab?

On the other hand my boss asks the same question and instead hands me a sledge hammer to break that slab (EFILive/HPTuners). Which would you prefer to get the job done. I know what I choose

Even if the slab was 2" thick (224 cam) I still would want the sledge hammer to Git er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Touche HumpinSS!!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if the slab was 2" thick (224 cam) I still would want the sledge hammer to Git er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Joel,
I love it.
Joe
Old 12-20-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Predator
Funny you mention idle, that was one area of tuning that kicked my ***, so I hired TeamZR-1, JR, the subject of this thread, to help me with just idle tuning, and he did a fantastic job. Idle is no longer an issue at all. What was cool was that I was able to email him an EASE scan I had, and he emailed me a new Edit file with the idle corrected.

With a decent sized cam this/above scenario is hit or miss. With a larger cam and narrower LSA ( more reversion) it's nearly impossible.

You NEED the Idle Air Controller (IAC) Long and Short Term Airflow Correction Trims to evaluate Base airflow settings.
0.10 g/sec can make a big difference in long term stabilty and idle quality.
Correct Base airflow has global effects...Timing, AFR and Throttle transitions.

Ease doesn't have the required PIDs.

Edit still has the "IAC Park table" as ECT doesn't it?? It's IAT based (Thanks gojo and NW!! ).
Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you be more specific about what mistakes you had in your tuning with Edit, and what table(s)/feature(s) EFILive had that solved those mistakes (and were missing in Edit)? Thanks.
The one that comes to mind is a few years ago when I first started trying to tune my timing table I had initially added 6* of timing to all the tables from 3.6K RPM and .56 grams/cil in the high octane table and then later upped the timing to those tables during a HP session readout on the dyno with LS1 edit. Later with EFI's 3D timing map I was able to see more clearly that I had valleys or holes in my 3D timing map from 3.6K to 4K and .56 to .64 G/cil that I was not able to see so clearly with the 3D LS1 edit map IMO, I never subtracted timing from those area's due to KR either, The funny thing is that I never saw any dips in HP on the dyno graph, probably due to the possibility that I probably never hit those exact timing cell's on the dyno. BTW. I am no tuning guru at all; these are just some of the methods I experimented with in tuning my car.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 12-21-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies fellas, and I get your points. It seems that if I ever upgrade to a more radical setup, or even a bigger cam, I would be at a disadvantage trying to tune with Edit, but for now I'm in pretty good shape. I just can't see dropping the coin at present for a better tuning program, but maybe down the road.

BTW HumpinSS, I downloaded the demo version Of EFILive, and from what I could tell it seems like a great tuning tool. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a quote once that went something like this. "incompetent people can't recognize true competence because they don't have the level of competence to tell the difference, you have to be competent to recognize incompetence." I've known people throughout my life that truly believe they are expert at something. They are not wise enough to understand that the knowledge level goes way beyond their own. As far as the edit vs other software. I own an auto repair shop. We have five scanners and I have to buy a lot of equipment to stay current in my business. Almost always when I replace an older piece of equipment with something newer I say to myself "I can't believe I went as long as I did before updating", because the newer piece usually makes my job a lot easier. I still have edit because my tune has been decent. But after seeing what looks like a true consensus that tuning becomes much easier with the newer products, I think I'm going to get HPT to work out an A/F bug.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

i think the business management folks have the 4 quadrants as:

1. Competent Aware (you are good and you know it - you are likely the boss)
2. Incompetent Aware (you suck and you know it - you will be given a few chances to improve)
3. Ignorantly Competent (you rock but you don't know it - you are likley getting screwed on your salary)
4. Ignorantly Incompetent (start looking for another job)

guess which quadrant you don't wanna be in

It's funny cos many managers are either 1. or 4. If you are a company with a lot of managers who are 4 you will go broke.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by SideStep
Yupper... He seems to always be TROLLING with some useless garbage post... explaining how we are all GD idiots and he is the master...

Does he even own a LSx based car/truck???
I'm extremely pleased with my JR tuned car and he's been good about tweaking after relearning the tune. PS. he has a 99MALLETT Vette and a LS Pickup.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbuckweiser
I'm extremely pleased with my JR tuned car and he's been good about tweaking after relearning the tune. PS. he has a 99MALLETT Vette and a LS Pickup.
I bet my stock tune could still beat him
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive replied to him but they censor the **** so he wont see any of my responses. class act maybe he will see this thread and drop by and give us some more wisdom
It is funny how they selectively censor the LS1Edit list.
And people wonder why it is dead.

I really applauded these guys when they struck out. I put all my eggs in their basket, initially. But, talk about a lesson in bad management of a qualified head-start in LS1 Tuning...

I think I wills top there... I HATE typing a post only to have it bounced back to me ... especially I hate seeing the moderation done in a biased fashion.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by foff667
VE tuning is just the newest fad...its some hocus pocus table that hptuners & efilive invented thats not even in the pcm. Volumetric efficiency is that even a word?
Well ... it's two words.

Volumetric
Of or relating to measurement by volume.

efficiency
The ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system.
The ratio of the energy delivered by a machine to the energy supplied for its operation.

Volumetric efficiency (as relates to engines)
Volumetric efficiency in internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge into and out of the cylinders. More correctly, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what volume of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions.

Are you suggesting there isn't any such animal?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope you are joking, cause he was lol
Old 12-30-2005, 09:56 AM

That JR rant showed up in my mailbox too.

Here's my .02, for what it's worth. I think EASE is a great scanning program, but there are other options out there. I've dealt with JR and he's been helpful getting me sorted out. In the beginning he recommended going back to a stock MAF and upgrading my injectors, which I did, and he was exactly right, as far as I'm concerned. I had him tune my idle in which he did a terrific job, it's perfect. He seems to be able to extrapolate data from EASE to arrive at a good power producing tune using MORE than just the deltorq PID. I've never been able to do it, so I picked up an LM-1 to help me with that job. I started with LS1 Edit, and still use it, because I've seen no reason to switch. It'll get the job done as well as any other package. Tuning is more about the tuner than the software program. I don't think he's an "idiot," just close-minded and set in his ways. I think he's as wrong bashing HP Tuners as others are bashing LS1 Edit. An eye for an eye I guess.

Overall, my dealing with JR have been more helpful than anything as I've learned to look beyond character flaws. Anyway, just my humble .02. FWIW.

I kinda agree with this.

I think he can be closed-minded, but enjoyed many of his perspectives. I don't agree with him about EFILive or HPT being trash, of course. And I think he doesn't care about rubbing folk the wrong way. I can think of a few people on here that do the same thing.

I think a lot of people focused on when he seemed to put his foot in his mouth or his apparent unreasonable attacks on EFILive and such that they could never see the insight and merit many of his comments have.

I'm the kind of person, unless I'm being attacked directly, I can see the wheat in the tares and it's redeeming value.

If more of us could discuss things with out the acid wit and burning sarcasm, we would all probably learn a lot more ... and find people are wiling to evaluate other perspectives than their own.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A

LOL.
just so you know for sure that hes joking.... take a look at the HPtuners V2.0 help file...
heres a little snippet of it:
Attached Thumbnails Wow, talk about an IDIOT....-sd.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Volumetric efficiency? That's when you turn the radio up to drown out the engine noise, right?!?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
Well ... it's two words.

Volumetric
Of or relating to measurement by volume.

efficiency
The ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system.
The ratio of the energy delivered by a machine to the energy supplied for its operation.

Volumetric efficiency (as relates to engines)
Volumetric efficiency in internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge into and out of the cylinders. More correctly, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what volume of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions.

it was a joke...this is a quote from JR on another site:
"VE hacking is a fade that some vendors started and as other fades will go away when people find everytime the weather changes in seasons that their VE tune is no longer any good. EPA did not require a MAF for nothing its much smarter then some hardcoded values in a VE table."
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM

This kind of stuff HumpinSS points out is what I was always after Carputing to do with LS1Edit ... the item descriptions alone are worth their weight in gold. The customer support is second to none ... I know Paul will chat back with you in a heartbeat about issues ... he jumps on them like white on rice.
I've seen HPT folk regularly interact with peeps on this board about their product. I've ALWAYS loved vendors that do this, even when it is made rough by some folk on the boards.

If HPT had allowed competitive upgrades when they first started, I would likely have been an HPT man, but they waited too late and I went with EFILive. I'm happy with my choice, but may not have waited except for that.

LS1Edit was a trailblazer... just too bad they lacked vision beyond what they'd established.

Predator if you really feel like making the comparison without spending any money you can dload the trail version of EFILives software at http://www.efilive.com/downloads/sof...14_456_329.exe then you can go through and compare what is there and what isnt. The descritions alone for each table and its functionality will help you along with any questions you may have about the new things you see in the software. Play around with it for some time and then maybe you can come back and tell us your experience using a newer tuning tool.

When i look at the tuning tools and take edit and compare it to EFILive I see it like this.

I am a carpenter and my boss just asked me to break a 4" concrete slab and hands me a hammer used for nailing nails in decks or wood (Edit). Of course I can still break the slab but how long is it gonna take or how efficient will i be at breaking this slab?

On the other hand my boss asks the same question and instead hands me a sledge hammer to break that slab (EFILive/HPTuners). Which would you prefer to get the job done. I know what I choose

Quick Reply: Wow, talk about an IDIOT....