PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Wow, talk about an IDIOT....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005 | 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

I have been tuning LS1s as long as LS1edit has been out, I dropped over 10k on that software, and at the time it was great, definitely better than mail order tuning for sure! no scanner was provided with it, so you had to get your own, and then nothing was what it was today, until EFIlive v5 hit the market. that was definitely ok setup, I have copy of EFIlive for my personal car since it was such a cheap upgrade I picked it up, still havent used it to its potential as my car is on the back burner right now. I own a full license with HPT, all platforms LS1/2/6, SD 1,2,3 bar yadda yadda, and I must say this software is fantastic, I could never go back to edit/EFIlive datalogging ever again, the graphical representations really help you analyze whats going on, not to mention the histogram displays! which I beleive started with EFIlive. Both HPT and EFIlive to me seem to have the same capabilities, just go about them different ways, I need LS2 support so I chose HPT. thats my two cents about that.

I can't beleive JR is still tuning and talking smack, he used to run with a local shop down here and brainwashed them to talk just like he did also,no wideband or dyno!?!? my my how times have changed. He may sound like he knows what is really going on, but thats about it. Challenge him on his knowledge and he will start spitting some off the wall garbage at you. I have fixed a few of his boo boos as I have fixed other tuners problems, but I like to just do my job and continually make myself better, a quote from my previous profession "you never stop learning". So after investing 30k in software and laptops and another 50k in a dyno/wideband equipment (with more to come) I'd like to think I am a fairly dedicated tuner, it doesnt even matter if you are the best, someone always has something to say, as there are always 3 sides to a story, you can't please them all, but you can try. On a final note I let my work speak for me, my car runs 9s and its a stick, drives perfect, and is reliable as a 9 second car can be, I produce some of the most powerful setups around also, all my cars seem to be among the fastest, and have the least amount of failures.
Old 12-19-2005 | 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Predator
Mike, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Edit. That sucks! Just a note, losing power is not a fault of LS1 Edit. In fact exactly as I was saying, everyone blames Edit when they make a mistake, rewrites or not, JMO.

Obsolete? If you can effectively tune your car, how could it be obsolete? Maybe you don't have the toys, bells, and whistles, but you can tune your car as well with Edit as any other program. Even though today you can buy a toothbrush with a digital readout, I don't think it has made the regular toothbrush obsolete.

As far as Edit and EASE being the "best solution out there," I would never claim that (whaddya think I'm nuts, lol), but for ME, in hindsight, it has turned out to be the best, most economical solution. I didn't have to purchase additional software, plus EASE is the best scanning package available.

If we didn't go a couple rounds here, once-in-awhile, LS1 Tech just wouldn't be as much fun for me. Happy tuning!!! And Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

Originally Posted by gojo
but you can tune your car as well with Edit as any other program.

Predator,
I understand you are defending the tools you use. But that is just not true. Edit does not have the tables to tune properly. You can "work around" but you can't get it really right. Until EFI and HPT you always heard complaints about tunes changing over time or living with certain issues. You don't need to live with issues anymore. I give Ken credit for enabling us to tune our cars, but he was, I assume still is, inflexible and progress has passed him by. Edit does not kill your PCM, you just can't recover it as you can with the other programs. If you're happy that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that Edit is inferior. OH, they are not toys or just bells and whistles, they are useful tables for a variety of modifications. If you're tuning without a scanner you are on thin ice.
Joe

The last update for LS1Edit was 1.5....wasn't that shortly after HP Tuners came out with their 1st version? LS1Edit is an Antique.

The airflow tables available in EFILive/FlashScan and HP tuners are NOT available in LS1Edit. This is a huge problem for 90 mm Tbs and Fly-by-wire.

Many Timing tables are not available in LS1Edit.

I don't believe LS1Edit offers Idle Airflow trims as a PID. This was a major failure on their part.

So basically you can buy LS1Edit to get you part of the way to a final tune or buy EFILive or HP Tuners and get ALL of the way there.
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's two things I find funny here, one of the proponents for LS1Edit vs newer software in this thread probably has this much knowledge over EFi systems anyway ---------------> 0.00, and therefore the definition of "tuning" would be lost to them

and the second thing is that I just farted...

Back to my cave now!!!
Old 12-19-2005 | 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txhorns281
There's two things I find funny here, one of the proponents for LS1Edit vs newer software in this thread probably has this much knowledge over EFi systems anyway ---------------> 0.00, and therefore the definition of "tuning" would be lost to them

and the second thing is that I just farted...

Back to my cave now!!!
I need to go grab another beer
Old 12-19-2005 | 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'll stay open-minded, yet I'm not sure how my tune could be improved. If I could, I'd dump Edit. No SES light, recently passed emissions, perfect idle, zero KR, 13.0-13.2 a/f, negative LTFTs, zero misfires, etc. As soon as I discover a lacking in my tune that can't be addressed with Edit, I'll switch in a heartbeat.
If you ever do switch over to EFIlive or HP tuners, You'll see what you were missing, I had no thoughts on changing from LS1edit untill my LS1 edit cable stopped working( The cable does not seem to show that It's licenced anymore) Then I got Flashscan and never looked back, I really love my tuning software now. BTW, I was able to see some mistakes in my old LS1 edit tuning with my new EFIlive software.
Old 12-20-2005 | 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A Mustang's NightMare
I allready know him. I need some one with lots of expirience

Thats funny. After this thread, you are comparing me to JR? What does Nick say about that as well? Is he not as worthy as JR as well? Last time I checked, both are shops were cleaning up his messes.

Rick
Old 12-20-2005 | 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
If you ever do switch over to EFIlive or HP tuners, You'll see what you were missing, I had no thoughts on changing from LS1edit untill my LS1 edit cable stopped working( The cable does not seem to show that It's licenced anymore) Then I got Flashscan and never looked back, I really love my tuning software now. BTW, I was able to see some mistakes in my old LS1 edit tuning with my new EFIlive software.
Very true. some important tables related to drive ability are not even available with edit. If you have a large cammed car it could be a night and day difference.
Old 12-20-2005 | 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Can you be more specific about what mistakes you had in your tuning with Edit, and what table(s)/feature(s) EFILive had that solved those mistakes (and were missing in Edit)? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005 | 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Very true. some important tables related to drive ability are not even available with edit. If you have a large cammed car it could be a night and day difference.
So if you don't have a large-cammed car (which I don't, 224/224 112), is it still worth switching? And I mean could I improve upon my tune rather than just gaining convenience features of the software, histograms, faster flash times, etc.?
Old 12-20-2005 | 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

So if you don't have a large-cammed car (which I don't, 224/224 112), is it still worth switching? And I mean could I improve upon my tune rather than just gaining convenience features of the software, histograms, faster flash times, etc.?
Idle tuning with LS1Edit is a joke- compared to EFILive or HP tuners. You CANNOT properly tune Idle airflow, and thus all airflow , with LSnone-edit.

I have, and have used all 3 programs.

LSNone-Edit sucks!!
Old 12-20-2005 | 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Predator if you really feel like making the comparison without spending any money you can dload the trail version of EFILives software at http://www.efilive.com/downloads/sof...14_456_329.exe then you can go through and compare what is there and what isnt. The descritions alone for each table and its functionality will help you along with any questions you may have about the new things you see in the software. Play around with it for some time and then maybe you can come back and tell us your experience using a newer tuning tool.

When i look at the tuning tools and take edit and compare it to EFILive I see it like this.

I am a carpenter and my boss just asked me to break a 4" concrete slab and hands me a hammer used for nailing nails in decks or wood (Edit). Of course I can still break the slab but how long is it gonna take or how efficient will i be at breaking this slab?

On the other hand my boss asks the same question and instead hands me a sledge hammer to break that slab (EFILive/HPTuners). Which would you prefer to get the job done. I know what I choose

Even if the slab was 2" thick (224 cam) I still would want the sledge hammer to Git er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2005 | 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bink
Idle tuning with LS1Edit is a joke- compared to EFILive or HP tuners. You CANNOT properly tune Idle airflow, and thus all airflow , with LSnone-edit.

I have, and have used all 3 programs.

LSNone-Edit sucks!!
Funny you mention idle, that was one area of tuning that kicked my ***, so I hired TeamZR-1, JR, the subject of this thread, to help me with just idle tuning, and he did a fantastic job. Idle is no longer an issue at all. What was cool was that I was able to email him an EASE scan I had, and he emailed me a new Edit file with the idle corrected.
Old 12-20-2005 | 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Predator if you really feel like making the comparison without spending any money you can dload the trail version of EFILives software at http://www.efilive.com/downloads/sof...14_456_329.exe then you can go through and compare what is there and what isnt. The descritions alone for each table and its functionality will help you along with any questions you may have about the new things you see in the software. Play around with it for some time and then maybe you can come back and tell us your experience using a newer tuning tool.

When i look at the tuning tools and take edit and compare it to EFILive I see it like this.

I am a carpenter and my boss just asked me to break a 4" concrete slab and hands me a hammer used for nailing nails in decks or wood (Edit). Of course I can still break the slab but how long is it gonna take or how efficient will i be at breaking this slab?

On the other hand my boss asks the same question and instead hands me a sledge hammer to break that slab (EFILive/HPTuners). Which would you prefer to get the job done. I know what I choose

Even if the slab was 2" thick (224 cam) I still would want the sledge hammer to Git er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HumpinSS, thanks for the info, and I'll definitely check it out. I get your metaphor, and I've always been partial to sledgehammers. See-->
Old 12-20-2005 | 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

With all but pretty radical tunes, I've been able to get LS1Edit to work as well -- but the numbers never correlated to anything I could figure out. I just got used to knowing what numbers to stick in the cells to make the car do what I wanted it to do. With EFILive, I've been able to make sense of the numbers and relate them to scanned data more directly, which only makes the job easier and in my mind more accurate. So again, I was able to get the job done either way, but there is a benefit to the (in my mind) better software.

For my 98 Formula, doing a closed loop speed density tune was only a world easier with EFILive than it would have been even attempting it with LS1Edit. Give that a shot and give us your results
Old 12-20-2005 | 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

yeah i have seen tunes from this guy, my little sister knows more than him i believe
Old 12-20-2005 | 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
yeah i have seen tunes from this guy, my little sister knows more than him i believe
Wow, your little sister must be Ms. Goodwrench.
Old 12-20-2005 | 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

she single?
Old 12-20-2005 | 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

hahaha
Old 12-20-2005 | 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

hahaha
I should have had your sis tune my car.
Old 12-20-2005 | 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

i dont think this guy did any ve tuning, it was all in the pe, ranging from 1.0-1.3 (i think not 100% sure, but either way it was messed up) and also 17-19* of timing WOT

Quick Reply: Wow, talk about an IDIOT....