Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning after converter install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning after converter install

Hello! I had a Vigilante 3200 stall converter installed last week and now I have surging when coming to a stop. Rpm's fluctuate between ~ 800 - 250 rpm. it was enough to stall the engine a couple times,it helps if I put it in nuetral and coast to a stop or I brake slowly to a stop. In addition I have seen p0161 (o2 sensor) p0300 (random multiple misfire) and p0410 (AIR malfunction) the check engine light has come on 3 times since the install the first time surging caused the car to stall twice, p0161 p0300 p0410 were set. The second time car did not stall and got p0300 and p0410.The third time just p0410. Could surging cause all of this?

Do you guys think you could solve my problem with surging by bumping up the idle some or is there another way to go about it.

Thanks, Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would be looking to the engine for the surging. I don't think it's the stall. Check your 02s, and make sure everything is plugged back together sensor wise.Also
recheck your fluid level. You might also try a relearn,i've seen strange things happen
w/ these cars.
Hawk
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right after my Vig install I experienced the same idle surge/sometimes stalling - PCM reset and idle relearn didn't help me - so I had the in gear idle increased and it went away. No codes though.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Just put a MW 3200 in mine and had some rpm fluctuation too...mostly in reverse. No codes thrown though (fingers crossed). I bumped up the idle to 700 last night and all seemed great today - no more fluctuations. I think this happens because the stock converter is quite a bit heavier....especially when rotating. So, you can either change the values the PCM uses to correct idle fluctuations or up the idle slightly (which is much easier).
Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

(deleted)

Last edited by Camaroholic; 12-20-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Just put a MW 3200 in mine and had some rpm fluctuation too...mostly in reverse. No codes thrown though (fingers crossed). I bumped up the idle to 700 last night and all seemed great today - no more fluctuations. I think this happens because the stock converter is quite a bit heavier....especially when rotating. So, you can either change the values the PCM uses to correct idle fluctuations or up the idle slightly (which is much easier).

So I take it you tuned your idle with EFI live? I have a Predator but it doesnt tune a lot except for simple stuff. 700rpm seems like it would work well. It seems to be much worse when cold ( like parked all day and then pulling out in stop and go traffic).

What do you guys think of drilling the TB or turning the set screw a bit?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't do any of that. It'll just throw your IAC steps out of whac. Your best option with the predator is having someone do a mail order adjustment tune. Depending on where you bought it from, it may be free. Check with www.runninwiththedevil.com to see if they can help you out.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Right after my Vig install I experienced the same idle surge/sometimes stalling - PCM reset and idle relearn didn't help me - so I had the in gear idle increased and it went away. No codes though.

I overlooked your sig.I see you have a Predator too I assume the custom tune took care of it. Was the tune free?

Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I wouldn't do any of that. It'll just throw your IAC steps out of whac. Your best option with the predator is having someone do a mail order adjustment tune. Depending on where you bought it from, it may be free. Check with www.runninwiththedevil.com to see if they can help you out.

Cool! I did buy it from RWTD shortly after they came out. Havent used any custom tuning though.

Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Another thing I should mention is a week before the converter install I replaced the drivers side AIR check valve, it had some carbon goop inside of it. I'm wondering if the codes are unrelated to the converter and just my bad luck to have it all show up at the same time. From what I hear emmissions stuff like that can be covered under warranty.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Did you clear the computer of the previous trouble codes to help eliminate previous codes ,that may be related to the plugged idle air control valvepreviously mentioned.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by solocam
Did you clear the computer of the previous trouble codes to help eliminate previous codes ,that may be related to the plugged idle air control valvepreviously mentioned.

Yes I did that via the Predator.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stab & Steer SS
I overlooked your sig.I see you have a Predator too I assume the custom tune took care of it. Was the tune free?

Chris
Yes, the tune was free. Visit www.diablosporttuning.com
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I posted on the forum but no response yet. Maybe they are on vacation?