Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proscan vs autotap?? plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proscan vs autotap?? plz help

ok i wanna buy a scanner tool but im crossed between the autotap and the proscan, i can get the proscan for 100 bucks so i would like to save the money but im just wondering if anyone knows the actual diffrence between the two, what am i loosing by goin with proscan sense from what i read autotap is the step up??
thanks input very appreciated
Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears that proscan is using the non-proprietary ELM
interface hardware and is a more recent development
that ATAP. I haven't gotten any response from them
yet, on my questions about specific vehicle coverage
(I am looking at it for my non-LS1 vehicles). Since logging
is a key part of tuning you may be better off to go for a
tool that does it all, if tuning is your ultimate goal (the
two current leading tuning suites for LSx, both have
the scanning / logging built in). Of course this is more
than $100. But if you're heading that way then the $100
today, will be pretty much down the drain later (like my
Predator).
Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

ok now can u explain that in english im new the this computer stuff in cars, im used to carburators and **** lol all that basically meant nothing to me i dont even know witch one your taking about, sorry for being a moron and uneducated in the tuning/diagnostic software area but thats why im asking.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Visit www.efilive.com and download the software which works in demo mode until you connect it to a FlashScan cable.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

so what good does that do me how do i hook it up to scan my stuff
Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

proscan is nice for a cheap code scanner and basic scanning...(similar to the autotap reader)

Autotap base (reader) is pretty much the same... if you get autotap with enhanced parameters for GM then you can access items such as the Knock SEnsors to see if you're getting knock

once you go up to autotap with enhanced parameters

Main problem is... it's great to be able to scan a car... but if you can't make any changes with this scanned data it doesn't help much... (if you're doing mail order tunes then it would likely be helpful to the tuner if you had scans)

the next step up from autotap would be the EFI Live Scanner only software

From there the next step is tuning & scanning in 1 (www.hptuners.com and www.efilive.com) ... both provide excellent scanning solutions, and provide an interface to take that scanned data and actually tune your car
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

these inhanced parameters for autotap, is that the diffrence between the autotap reader and the autotap diagnostics. i know they say on autotaps website the diagnostics is the step up and has like 4 more functions is that the one with advanced parameters or do u have to buy something seperate for the GM parameters. as far as tuning id like to but its just way to much money for me right now and i got no idea what im doin lol, im not goin nuts with my car till i pay it off. i basically just wanna be able to scan everyhting make sure everythings good and if i have a problem i know what to fix.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

You have two excellent choices for just scanning. One was previously mention, EFILive scan software, the other would be Ease scan software with the GM enhanced version. If you think down the road you will be doing any PCM tuning, the EFLive would be the way to go as you can easily add/trade to upgraded packages. If you plan on scanning only and having an outside party do any tuning, then either will work fine. The Ease software does have bidirectional cables for CASE Learn proceedures, etc if you add another PCM to you car and if you are looking into the other computers in the car it has modules for those as well. For most of us who do not want to get into the tuning aspect, the EFILive is a good choice.

Quick Reply: Proscan vs autotap?? plz help