PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Density and Reduce Engine Power, 01 Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Density and Reduce Engine Power, 01 Z06???

I'm attempting the fairly straight forward right up done by EFI Live for speed density on a 01 z06 with a large cam. The problem is that one of the steps requires the removal of the maf sensor from operation. When I do it via fail frequenceis and or unpluggin the maf the car goes into reduce engine power mode. How do you get around this in a corvette, is there something in EFI Live with engine protection in which you turn off? Thanks and any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

On an 01 Z06, the MAF has the air intake temp sensor, so it cannot be unplugged. Bst way on a vette is to just simply set the MAF Fail Freq. to 0, dont disconnect anything. That will put you in SD mode.

Thats how I do it on my 02 Z06.

Dixit
Old 01-22-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dixit
On an 01 Z06, the MAF has the air intake temp sensor, so it cannot be unplugged. Bst way on a vette is to just simply set the MAF Fail Freq. to 0, dont disconnect anything. That will put you in SD mode.

Thats how I do it on my 02 Z06.

Dixit
Dixit, i've set the frequency to one as per the instruction of the manual but it's still going into reduced power mode just like when the maf is unplugged even when the maf is still plugged in. That's my confusion.

Is it possible that one needs to be set to zero and the problem will then go away?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

So when the MAF fail is set to the normal 12500 it works fine? Then seems like your idle airflow is horrible off and those numbers need to be inline before going into SD mode.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dixit
So when the MAF fail is set to the normal 12500 it works fine? Then seems like your idle airflow is horrible off and those numbers need to be inline before going into SD mode.
Yes, works fine with the maf set to the above. Idle is bad you think? Does the maf fix the idle air flow insufficiencies then when the car has the maf set normal? Is that why the car goes into reduced power mode when you disable the maf? Thanks man, all suggestions are appreciated
Old 01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More then likely the reason for the Reduced Power mode is you are throwing a P1514 code. The happens to many while SD tuning

P1514:
Calculated Airflow vs. TPS% vs. RPM - P1514/P0068 Error: The VCM uses this table to determine the maximum airflow/cylair the Electronic Throttle should be passing at a certain TPS position and RPM. If the measured cylair/airflow exceeds this value then P1514/P0068 is set.
You will need to (temporarily) bump up your TPS Sensor, Calc Airflow table. I would say by 15%. That is what I usually do. Then when you turn the MAF back on just change the table back to the previous values... This is assuming you want to go back to the MAF... If not change the table and leave it...

Last edited by SideStep; 01-22-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SideStep
More then likely the reason for the Reduced Power mode is you are throwing a P1514 code. The happens to many while SD tuning

You will need to (temporality) bump up your TPS Sensor, Calc Airflow table. I would say by 15%. That is what I usually do. Then when you turn the MAF back on just change the table back to the previous values... This is assuming you want to go back to the MAF... If not change the table and leave it...

Thanks. I've been at this thing since 8 this morning EST so i'm takin it easy for the evening but will certainly give it a go tomorow. Thanks again
Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

what are you using to flash Nick
Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
what are you using to flash Nick
EFILive. I tried to yahoo IM you by the way Larry
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

You want it drop right into SD, so..... -> {C2903} MAF High Frequency Fail Limit = 1. Mine did the same thing until I set {C2903} to 1.
Stock {C2903} is 12!!

From EFILive -> " {C2903} With the engine running if the MAF sensor frequency is equal to or goes above {C2901} "MAF High Frequency Fail 1" this many times then DTC P0103 will set."

You need the DTC P0103 "set" in order to drop into speed density.

This info was added to TAQuickness' write up on EFILive- it is easiy missed.
See these steps ->
25) Go to {C2901} "Engine Diagnostics > MAF > Parameters"
26) Set {C2901} "MAF High Frequency Fail 1" = 0
27) Go to {C290x} "Engine Diagnostics > MAF > Parameters"
28) Set {C290x} "MAF High Frequency Fail Limit" = 1

Hope this helps some.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I'm attempting the fairly straight forward right up done by EFI Live for speed density on a 01 z06 with a large cam. The problem is that one of the steps requires the removal of the maf sensor from operation. When I do it via fail frequenceis and or unpluggin the maf the car goes into reduce engine power mode. How do you get around this in a corvette, is there something in EFI Live with engine protection in which you turn off? Thanks and any suggestions are appreciated.
I too am in the process of tuning a mid sized cam (f-13) in an 02 z06. I am using hptuners and have always set the maf fail freq. to 0 and I have never had a problem. BTW what size cam do you have?

Last edited by hc_performance; 01-22-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

sorry double post

Last edited by hc_performance; 01-22-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a bunch guys. It is not so nice out today so i'm not sure how much i'll get to do after work but we'll see. In any event this is very helpful information.

Bink, I believe the write up i'm using actually has that instruction as well but I will certainly double check. Thanks.

hc_performance, it's a cam I spec'd out for this guy which is a 239/242 108icl (actually 110icl now as we had to retard it for p/v reasons cause the cam was ground wrong at a 106icl) .651/.613 cam. With the maf the car drives about 80% but when cruzing sometimes the car will dump a ton of fuel making the car go from 15-16/1 a/f at cruz to 11 to 1 a/f at cruz and setting the maf low activity code. Reversion owns this MAF, lol.

Thanks guys and i'll be certain to post how it ends up
Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a bunch guys. It is not so nice out today so i'm not sure how much i'll get to do after work but we'll see. In any event this is very helpful information.

Bink, I believe the write up i'm using actually has that instruction as well but I will certainly double check. Thanks.

hc_performance, it's a cam I spec'd out for this guy which is a 239/242 108icl (actually 110icl now as we had to retard it for p/v reasons cause the cam was ground wrong at a 106icl) .651/.613 cam. With the maf the car drives about 80% but when cruzing sometimes the car will dump a ton of fuel making the car go from 15-16/1 a/f at cruz to 11 to 1 a/f at cruz and setting the maf low activity code. Reversion owns this MAF, lol.

Thanks guys and i'll be certain to post how it ends up
She'll run much better with an accurate VE table. You can go back to the MAF after you've developed a solid VE tune - you will need to rescale the MAF. Reversion can be tamed.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so much everyone, especially HumpinSS for spending the time on Yahoo IM with me. It was the predicted airflow table vs ETC that needed to be fixed. I've done one log and re-flash on this car and it's comming right along. SD is the shizit and don't think i'll be going back to maf anytime soon. It really changed the way the car sounds and responds but that is probably a function of much much more fuel at idle (idle used to be 20 to 1, now in SD it is 14 ish) but I may fine tune that. Thanks very very much once again guys! I'll post a sound clip once I get this car 100%. Man, it's tuff gettin up at 6a.m. just to tune a car before you go to your normal job, lol

Last edited by DAPSUPRSLO; 01-24-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Speed Density and Reduce Engine Power, 01 Z06???