PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing Pre-Orders for VCM Suite 2.1 and MPVI (USB)!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't understand why people are saying it is more expensive ... it is not! Look at it for what it is, not how you are interpretting it. For two initial full year licenses, it is more, but only $100 pre year/model. After that it is levels off and becomes cheaper. For me the old way would have been more expensive, the new way is much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Technoman64
What happens if I need to re-load Windows on my Laptop and re-install HP Tuners. How does it remember the license options that are activated? What if I buy a new Laptop and install Hp Tuners, does it store the license info in the interface unit?
As Chris posted above, that info is stored in the interface. No worries about needing to reload the software and having licensing issues, it is avoided.

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
What is the cost to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 for one vehicle ie my '98 Z28?
ZERO! All software upgrades have been free for a while now. Hardware is a different story. Clear?

Originally Posted by WantedRawb
i plan, head/cam + bolt on's i would assume wideband would be a wise investment for tuning... ? hell im so confused now i have no clue hahahaummm am i on earth? is this the internet or library ? maybe banging my head on a table will help some...
The E I/O has always had a higher price cost, that has not changed. If you plan to not use a wideband, you will only pay $499. That leaves you room to acquire either another single VIN vehicle or SD programming. New vs. Old is not costing you more at all, the price has remained the same. If you choose the EIO route, it will be $650 ... plus you will need a wideband O2.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the licensing is cable-side, does this mean you would be able to save other year files now? For instance a buddy of mine has HPT for his 2000 car, and I have HPT for my 2002. If he sends me his file via email, can i edit it and then send it back to him so he can uplod it to his car? This would be a great feature for the HPTuners community helping one another. I just dont know the logistics of keeping poeple from doing unlimited mail order tuning as long as someone has the proper year interface.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know with 2.0 you can open and edit any file you want as long as HPT supports it. It's a great way to see how the factory tuned the different cars and is a valuable feature for looking at other peoples tunes. The licence comes in when you try to talk to the PCM.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pknowles
I know with 2.0 you can open and edit any file you want as long as HPT supports it. It's a great way to see how the factory tuned the different cars and is a valuable feature for looking at other peoples tunes. The licence comes in when you try to talk to the PCM.
I had 2.0 and I could not save any file other than the year it was for. I believe the HPT guys had to specifically hard code into the program what years were available. Version 2.1 will be a departure from this.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...so I am 100% crystal clear on this. If I wanted to keep the old cable and NOT upgrade, it would cost me 200.00 to add two more years two my cable? Making the total I would have is 4?

Thanks,
Old 02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

$199 up till you have 4 then $399 thereafter till you upgrade to the new unit.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you want to add licenses to an existing serial interface, simply e-mail sales for instructions.

No matter what you have on your existing serial interface, if you upgrade it to the USB interface, you will now be on the credit system.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Good stuff Ken, Chris, and Keith. Definitely allows HPT to have a nice resale value with this new pricing scheme.

Can't wait for the USB unit.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by horist
There's only 1 year for the LS2 motor... the 05 and 06 PCMs aren't he same, so they have to hack both...

With only 1 year, the # of potential customers is considerably lower than that of LS1 folks where there was 7-8 years or cars that the product can be sold to.

It boils down to time to create the product vs the number of estimated copies to be sold... It makes perfect sense that the LS2 support would cost more than LS1 support... figure w/the LS1s, for every 10,000 cars they make, say 100 will buy an editor.... that's prolly high (1%) but still... now figure the same applies to LS2s... in 05 how many were sold? maybe 50k? so that's maybe 500 sales using the same 1% as above.... but look at LS1 trucks, Vettes, and F-Bodys... there's prolly 600k+ of them easy... it's a much larger market

Not to mention that the 05 and 06 PCMs are new and require new comm protocols, seperate communication to the TCM and ECM, etc...

So chargeing $700(LS2 model/year) more will sell more software??
(ls1=6 credits VS LS2=20 credits)

Far as the changing PCM, better get use to it, cause their change it again when the new taho's sub's, and silverado's comeout. And I think the Dmax has changed 3 times since 01.

05's that have LS2's Trailblazer SS, GTO,Caddy CTS-V, and Corvette.
what about LS2 crate motors??

Far as GTO's go, It seems that vendor's can't keep shifters, cat-backs, Long tubes header in stock and on shelves.

Also not to mention, what about overseas where the LS2 is used???

Also I have been told that 05 and 06 GTO pcms are the same.

I can understand a price increase but over 3 times(299*3.33) more than LS1 aaahh no.

Why is that people make lot harder than need be? just give me a shipped total price thats it that all I want to know. Ex: I want add a car just a price will do, don't need to know many credits it is, just a total price to add the car. is that so hard.

Please don't take this as hate or complaining. I do like hptuners, very much like 2.017 ver. Used to tout it as best thing since sliced bread. But now I can't around saying its the best value in town for LS2. Yes I know that you guys have the only LS2 software, but soon there be more choices. Even though I do plan to upgrade (I like the Hptuners format), I am not a happy customer.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

when someone else steps up to the plate then the market will balance until then its the most expensive hobby that never ends.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well not everyone is going to get what they want or be happpy. Im pretty cool with all this for my own reasons. I just wish that the cedits for Single Vehicles license would apply to the Year/Model license, even if there was some sort of penalty of some sort for doing it that way. Mabey even a discont on the year/model license if you bought a certain amount of Single licenes.

I think this would make alot of people happy but not all. Either way I have cash in hand and will be ordering on the first of march!!

BTW when will we have support for the Duramx? Will we beable to tune the power stroke when the ford stuff comes out??
Old 02-04-2006, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some are going to be upset (unfortuanate result of being the Leader and Best in Tuning Software)

but the new pricing will be best for most.... and the new announcement..... Is there any competition???? cause there wont be after the next (HPT) announcement
Old 02-04-2006, 05:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Is there any competition???? cause there wont be after the next (HPT) announcement
Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just sent in my order 3 hrs ago, for a single vin lisence, I have to sleep on about if I want make that kind of investment just yet.

So you got me.

Whats the next annoucement??
Real time A/F targeting?
Ve map generator??
Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

some are going to be upset (unfortuanate result of being the Leader and Best in Tuning Software)

but the new pricing will be best for most.... and the new announcement..... Is there any competition???? cause there wont be after the next (HPT) announcement
So when is this new announcement going to be made?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 8100hammer
Just sent in my order 3 hrs ago, for a single vin lisence, I have to sleep on about if I want make that kind of investment just yet.
huh? What exactly did you order?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

See... now that is making me even more hesitant to order anything. Are they going to be adding value with no additional cost to the users or is this going to be something that we will have to pay even more for? The only people this entire situation is making sense for right now are those that gotta have it yesterday.

Tim
Old 02-04-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

well pre-order actually..

upgraded my serial unit to MVPI pro per emailed instructions by Keith Prociuk because I am added 05 GTO LS2 support going with single for now to give me my tuning fix. Its been so long..
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TimZ28
See... now that is making me even more hesitant to order anything. Are they going to be adding value with no additional cost to the users or is this going to be something that we will have to pay even more for? The only people this entire situation is making sense for right now are those that gotta have it yesterday.

Tim

It's something you folks asked us for, so I highly doubt anybody will be mad.

-Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Super Sport X2
It's something you folks asked us for, so I highly doubt anybody will be mad.

-Ken
Will it be retro active to those of us who have already preordered?

I'm not sure if its a change in pricing structure or if its actually meentSS's burrito warmer for the track... Or maybe youre referring to the release of the self contained recording (advertized as coming in a future software update) Either way...