Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning, timing, fuel??? Mileage discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning, timing, fuel??? Mileage discrepancy

I've notice about a 3 mpg difference between using Sunoco Ultra 94 gasoline and Shell V-Power 93. This is around town tire spinning action by the way I get the better mileage using the Shell gasoline and the T/A pulls noticably harder as well with Shell. I'm running a LS2 402 with the SLP stroker kit 11:1 compression, cnc'd LS6 heads 63cc combustion chambers. So my question actually relates to this thread. I would think that I would have better milage and power using the higher octane fuel unless my engine is at the point were I'm not getting a good burn out of the Sunoco 94. Could this be a tuning issue that a little more timing would cure. My car has a conservative mail order tune of which I have no idea of the parameters or could this a gassoline quality issue? By the way cruising on the highway I get 24mpg with Shell and like 23.3mpg with Sunoco. Any ideas????
Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

could be gas quality due to manufacturer or difference between stations....some vehicles like different brands of gas
Old 02-05-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

V-power is somewhat oxygenated so it should burn
leaner (in open loop). If it makes you more power it
means your spark tune is not aggressive enough.
Thing is, you probably can't be optimized for both;
I think you want to pick a flavor and stick with it,
but Sunoco 94 seems like a fairly limited-availability
fuel and I'd say a standard 93 octane basis would
be the way to fine-tune. Though if you can make it
on V-power, any other 93 should be well tolerated.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thats interesting. I knew there had to be something more distinguishing between the two fuels than 1 point of octane. I planning a cam swap in the future followed up by a full dyno tune and honestly I would have never considered what brand of gas to use. Thanks guys.

Maybe this is the wrong forum but we are sorta on the topic of fuel, so which is better considering my future tune. My choices in my neiborhood are:
Speedway 92,
Sunoco 93-94,
BP 93,
Shell V-Power 93
Amoco 93-94?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Ah what the hell, we have 91 here
Old 02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that Shell does seem to be a better station to refuel at as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You get best part-throttle mileage with 87 octane.
the more watered down the fuel is with additives to raise octane rating, the less power you get per volume of fuel, unless the density of the fuel increases.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

If I were going on a long road trip across the flat countryside (ie. no mountains or serious grades) would you suggest filling up with the cheap stuff like 87 to get better mileage? Would I see any knock retard on partial throttle even with 11.1:1 compression? If the engine did pull some timing, would it overcompensate for or remove the benifit of a lower octane fuel?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squealingtires
If I were going on a long road trip across the flat countryside (ie. no mountains or serious grades) would you suggest filling up with the cheap stuff like 87 to get better mileage? Would I see any knock retard on partial throttle even with 11.1:1 compression? If the engine did pull some timing, would it overcompensate for or remove the benifit of a lower octane fuel?
Yes you can and I do all the time. You would see very little if any knock until the engine is hot and loaded. The system is designed to adjust for 87 octane and no I doubt the amount of SA removed would negate a mileage increase, but if you're worried you could always reduce the KR or turn it off.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have seen noticeable differences in milages in the three brands of gas I use.
Shell V-power 93. decent power ok milage
BP(amoco) 93. best performing, decent milage
Phillips 66. 92, power, eh, best milage by far.

I stick with BP fuel, my car runs great on it, combustion chamber and plugs are always clean as a whistle, never had dirty injector problems either.

Personally i'd never put anything below 91 in my car. Don't forget only some of our cars "adjust"(I copied and pasted my high table to my low) and by adjust this means your motor suffered so much excessive knock it started to lower its timing to the low octane timing table. The way I see it as you paid a premium to buy a fast high compression car, if your going to be so cheap as to buy the incorrect gas(87), then sell it for a civic.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
I have seen noticeable differences in milages in the three brands of gas I use.
Shell V-power 93. decent power ok milage
BP(amoco) 93. best performing, decent milage
Phillips 66. 92, power, eh, best milage by far.

I stick with BP fuel, my car runs great on it, combustion chamber and plugs are always clean as a whistle, never had dirty injector problems either.

Personally i'd never put anything below 91 in my car. Don't forget only some of our cars "adjust"(I copied and pasted my high table to my low) and by adjust this means your motor suffered so much excessive knock it started to lower its timing to the low octane timing table. The way I see it as you paid a premium to buy a fast high compression car, if your going to be so cheap as to buy the incorrect gas(87), then sell it for a civic.
Don't you know about Tassey's old red C5 (now Kolk's)?
It picked up power on 87 octane and runs faster than ever.

Why not try some (non-ethanol added) 87 octane just to see what it does for you mileage. I think you will be surprised and pleased.
You probably wouldn't make good power on the 87 though.

The PCM doesn't need terrible spark knock to adjust. It usually adjusts before you can even hear any knock. You would still get knock retard no matter if your SA tables are the same.
The C5 had the KR turned off and a little over 30* advance at WOT.
It saved a lot of money on gas just driving it around everyday.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

This is all great advice. Thanks guys! I certainly didn't buy this car for its gas mileage but the old, "You would if you could" saying comes to mind when considering squeezing as much efficency as possible out of the engine. Certainly none of you would scoff at another enthusiest who gets awesome mileage out of a stroker motor in addition to loads of power? Most modern gasoline engines are only about 33% efficient anyways. Wouldn't it be nice to get 30mpg out of a 3600lb, 500hp power plant?