Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention "Private Tuners" and Non-Sponsors

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Exclamation Attention "Private Tuners" and Non-Sponsors

Attention any "Private Tuners" or Non-Sponsors.

I've created a new user group that moderators should be able to put people in. This new user group is called "Restricted", and is intended for guys who are notorious for using the site to backdoor solicit or spam other members for business or sales. We have received quite a few complaints lately about some members who undercut our paying sponsors on labor or parts, and this will not be tolerated.

Starting today, if anyone is caught or reported to be doing this (need proof via PM or email copy) we will put them in this new user group. That means if you choose to PM someone offering to do work for them, and they turn you in, you could be placed in this group.

Restricted User Group:
-no access to email anyone through the site
-no access to private messaging system
-cannot see member profiles or location info
-cannot edit or delete their own threads
-cannot update their signatures or profiles

Everyone, please let an Admin know if you find someone doing things listed above, we will reward you with a pair of LS1TECH decals.

Tony
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see it happen..
Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

now if someone posts up where can i get codes turned off and i pm them and let them know i can do it for $20 if they want, is that ok or no?

i understand guys making $1000's off this board being a non sponsor is not good, but for someone like me just looking to help some guys out and what not and not trying to profit i dont think it would be bad. most people ask me this on local boards i just wanted to see how this falls with the new "rules". i dont make nearly the cost of sponsor fee a month let alone a few months.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You can PM them at your own risk. If they turn you in for soliciting business, you just might get "Restricted". If you were doing this for free, or just helping out personal buddies, we don't have a problem with that. We do have a problem with guys that send PM's to members asking for a custom tune and they try to earn money thru the site by emailing/PM'ing them off this site. We have sponsors that pay to advertise these services, and they have exclusive rights to generate income here.

Our rates are only $175/month for a side banner, so this is more than reasonable. You could do one custom tune a month and pay to advertise here.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

So if a member contacts me and asks for some codes deleted and offers to pay me $20, I say yes and then he turns me in (out of spite for whatever reason) then I get "restricted" or does he for not going to a sponsor for this service?

I understand the no soliciting services offered by sponsors thing. But what about unsolicited requests for tuning services?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mr2guru
So if a member contacts me and asks for some codes deleted and offers to pay me $20, I say yes and then he turns me in (out of spite for whatever reason) then I get "restricted" or does he for not going to a sponsor for this service?

I understand the no soliciting services offered by sponsors thing. But what about unsolicited requests for tuning services?
this is what im talking about, i dont make more than $50 a month on average and most of my money comes from local boards just doing code deletes and what not. most of the time i dont do anything as im busy with other stuff. i tune friends car (full tunes) and just minor quick things on other cars. $175 may be reasonable for those who actually make that in a month, i dont get that in 3 months. i think if you offer to turn rear o2 codes off for $20, and someone wants to compalin, that should be overlooked. now if you get 20 massages in one week from someone trying to do this i can understand. get what i am trying to say?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
this is what im talking about, i dont make more than $50 a month on average and most of my money comes from local boards just doing code deletes and what not. most of the time i dont do anything as im busy with other stuff. i tune friends car (full tunes) and just minor quick things on other cars. $175 may be reasonable for those who actually make that in a month, i dont get that in 3 months. i think if you offer to turn rear o2 codes off for $20, and someone wants to compalin, that should be overlooked. now if you get 20 massages in one week from someone trying to do this i can understand. get what i am trying to say?
Point being is you ARE making money even if its a small amount off this site. The sponsors to the right pay to be able to make money off this site and they charge accordingly. If you want to continue to make money(how ever little) off people through this site you have to pay sponsorship fees.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mr2guru

Save your PMs. If it is truly unsolicted (i.e no hints in posts that you do this, no other screen names referring business, etc) that would probably be weighed.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i just checked the alphabetic list at the top and the closest i found is 400 miles away from me. i understand that the site is run by money but in order to support a sponsor i must get my car to a shop 400 miles away? i know its few and far between but what about those who dont live in the states or live someplace out of reason (you have to admit for an average joe, 400 miles one way is a bit absurd) to go for a sponsor so as to not get anyone in trouble...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Guys, this is specifically targetting guys that send spam (unwanted messages) to members trying to solicit parts or services. There are a few guys that troll around the various threads and will PM you their pricing on parts, or their pricing on installing items in their garage. These guys aren't sponsors, and are hurting the sponsors that keep this site running.

This is not about keeping guys from helping eachother, over pizza and beer, or a twenty. Its about guys that are trying to make a buck at doing this stuff, and doing it frequently.

We also allow non-sponsoring manufacturers and companies to come here and discuss the technical benefits or product releases of products. We have always allowed this. We simply ask that they not "sell" or provide contact info that could lead to a sale. We are happy to have the technical representatives of many manufacturers on this site answering questions. Most of them refer all their sales to a site sponsor anyways.

Hope that is clear.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok that makes more sense thanks for clearing it up
Old 02-18-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ok that makes more sense thanks for clearing it up

HUH?? aahh no it does not.

Spammers yes and should be dealt with.

the little guy who "gets" "asked" to do some work for $$$ should not.

Hear a storm bewing on this one, seen on a few other broads today.

Bad press in my opinon.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8100hammer

the little guy who "gets" "asked" to do some work for $$$ should not.

Hear a storm bewing on this one, seen on a few other broads today.

Bad press in my opinon.

Post #10 and the other post from Nine Ball and RagTop99 explain this. The "little guy" who gets asked has nothing to worry about. These have always been the rules. Does anyone really think any of this is free, meaning this site, band-width, software licensing, maintenance, etc... It is a business agreement between site owner and participating vendors... THAT is the reason it is a free forum for members. If the vendors leave it will not remain a free site for long...
Old 02-18-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
this is specifically targetting guys that send spam (unwanted messages) to members trying to solicit parts or services. There are a few guys that troll around the various threads and will PM you their pricing on parts, or their pricing on installing items in their garage. These guys aren't sponsors, and are hurting the sponsors that keep this site running.
That is EXACTLY the point.

There is no harm in the person who is looking to have work done sending a private message to someone he's "heard" or "noticed" does tuning on the side. IMO those people become pretty obvious if you read threads here.

What is being squashed is UNSOLICITED private messages. It's really bad in other sections - like internal engine - where someone asks about heads or a shortblock, and he gets an inbox full of non-sponsors trying to sell him a package. It HAPPENS. Then when that person buys that "cheaper" package, and something bad happens (like the shortblock self destructs in short order), the person he bought from suddenly disappears. This has happened also. Although, in that situation, the sponsors kinda like it, as they can charge extra to clean up the mess.

So it's not just for "site money", it's to help protect users here as well. There are some good non-sponsor tuners and private installers.... and then there are some bad ones who troll the site.

So use a non-sponsor if you want to. I use non sponsors for some stuff. But don't let non-sponsors troll you for business.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
What is being squashed is UNSOLICITED private messages. It's really bad in other sections - like internal engine - where someone asks about heads or a shortblock, and he gets an inbox full of non-sponsors trying to sell him a package. It HAPPENS. Then when that person buys that "cheaper" package, and something bad happens (like the shortblock self destructs in short order), the person he bought from suddenly disappears. This has happened also. Although, in that situation, the sponsors kinda like it, as they can charge extra to clean up the mess.
problem is if they were to have bought from a sponsor and the sponsor suddenly disappears ie ape or janzter or whatever they are sol too cuz as stated its not the sites responsiblity in any way and those people shouldve done more research. I think the problem lies heavily in posts like "Where can I get tuning done in name their city" They have several ways of contacting sponsors...look at th elist on the right, look at the list at the top of every section of this forum where it says "local sponsor list" or use the sponsor search at the top of all the sponsors on the right. At that point I would think its obvious they are looking elsewhere besides the sponsors for whatever reason...and instead of telling them to look at the sponsors list to the right I believe we should be able to guide those people in a direction that might be right for them rather then just saying try a different sponsor maybe the next one on the list will do a better job. And like stated the closest sponsor to me is over an hour and a half away & thats considered close for sponsors for many people. And to the person who says this site needs $ to be run your correct but I would bet this site pulls in close to 1/2 mil every year between sponsors & t-shirts & hats which yes I've used sponsors & got burned & I've bought hats & t-shirts so in a round about way I have sponsored this site. But a 1/2 mil aint how much a site needs to be run and yes I know this is more of a business then anything now with 60k members its probably a pretty damn good one. And to the person who said to Mike making $50 in a month is making money off this site think about it...even if he wanted to sponsor this site he'd be loosing $125 a month lol and for what doing code deletions for someone rather then sending them to a sponsor so they charge him $150 for them? Comon guys I understand your policies but again I thought this place was a place to help others rather then sending them to places maybe they dont feel comfortable going in some cases. anyways thats my story & im stickin to it.

lata
Bill
Old 02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Our rates are only $175/month for a side banner...
Holy cow, if my math is right, that's 125 sponsors at 175.00 a pop. for 12 months, that's $262500.00 a year!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaWs6
Holy cow, if my math is right, that's 125 sponsors at 175.00 a pop. for 12 months, that's $262500.00 a year!

That is correct sir, a hobby turned into a full business. Kinda like, "Why didn't I think about that?"

Now you know how some people can afford all the "Toys"....
Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I can honestly see both sides to this. My thoughts are if you are good at what you do and it is only a "side" thing to help guys out then word of mouth should be all that you need. If you aren't in it for the money, then why would you do it?? I have had several guys that have contacted me to find out they are members of the board after the fact, while some PM me asking for services. In my situtation there isn't really anyone around the area that does certain things so guys don't really want to drive 3-5hrs for a sponsor. JMO
Old 02-18-2006, 11:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Billiumss
That is correct sir, a hobby turned into a full business. Kinda like, "Why didn't I think about that?"

Now you know how some people can afford all the "Toys"....
You are correct, this is a business. Its a well managed and successful business also. It took money to start the site, countless hours to keep it running, federal tax ID numbers, lawyers, bank accounts, LLC registering, software licenses, server purchases and hosting, etc...

And as any business, we have to maintain a policy to keep things defined and running well. Without a policy, there would be chaos.

As for the toys I have, its just that I prefer to drive my savings account around instead of letting it sit in a bank. I typically buy the vehicles at excellent prices, and sell them for profit. Better than simple interest savings accounts. I also do very well in my regular career, so don't assume its all website income that pays for the toys.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

You are correct, this is a business. Its a well managed and successful business also. It took money to start the site, countless hours to keep it running, federal tax ID numbers, lawyers, bank accounts, LLC registering, software licenses, server purchases and hosting, etc...

And as any business, we have to maintain a policy to keep things defined and running well. Without a policy, there would be chaos.

As for the toys I have, its just that I prefer to drive my savings account around instead of letting it sit in a bank. I typically buy the vehicles at excellent prices, and sell them for profit. Better than simple interest savings accounts. I also do very well in my regular career, so don't assume its all website income that pays for the toys.
American Capitalism at it's best!! BIG Thumbs Up from me!!!