PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

cam install, speedo stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Default cam install, speedo stopped working

Ok guys I really need some help on this one. I just got done with my cam/Fast 90/90 install and my speedometer is now non functional. It is maxed out... it rests all the way past 150, so far to where it moves against and stays against the hump in the gauge cluster where the steering column is at. The only thing i can figure is that during the install i accidently kicked the throttle cable against the positive battery terminal and it was arching... i imediately moved it away but that is the only thing i can think of that may have caused this.

But whenever i turn the car off it turns counterclockwise a little and when i turn the ignition on it moves clockwise a little just like if it was at the 0 mph position.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Fuses...wire connectors that may be unhooked?

Is there a way to recalibrate the speedo and make it move back to 0mph?

ALL of the other guages are working correctly and so is the cruise control. Im stumped on this one...
Old 03-07-2006 | 11:39 AM
On The Tree

come on guys, some one has to have some ideas on this one.
Old 03-07-2006 | 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Have you checked the fuses? Should have had the battery disconnected while working on your car, its always a good idea.
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i checked all of the fuses

also the batter was disconnected, well the positive terminal was anyways. It touched on the battery post i ment. next time ill unhook both terminals
Old 03-07-2006 | 04:58 PM
Launching!

Are any of the other gauges working? Oil, fuel, RMP?
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:11 PM
On The Tree

yup all of the other gauges are working. They all run from the pcm right? well that leads me to believe that maybe there is a sensor that went out somehow. Just a thought because EVERYTHING else in the car is working

A friend of mine with a 98+ v6 camaro told me today that his car did the exact same thing but more than one gauge did it and it ended up being a bad sensor.

Does this make sense to any one?
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

do you have any logging software? If so scan the PCM to see what MPH it's reporting... if it is storing the proper MPH then the problem lies between the PCM and gauge cluster

If it does not reflect a valid MPH then check the Vehicle Speed Sensor, it's on the tailshaft of the transmission
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:20 PM
On The Tree

yup i have efi live, just got it, i need to adjust my idle anyways. I have never used it, do i have to specify any particular to log or will it log it automaticlly. \
Also my friend said that his through a code and thats how he knew to change the sensor, my ses light is on but i just figured it was from the disconnected egr/air/big cam. anyways i will scan it either tonight or tomorrow if i can figure out how and report back.
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Riddler,

What year/model do you have...?

When you open the Scan Tool, press the Connect button, and then goto the PID's tab, select a few PIDs (VSS(MPH)), then goto the dash A B C tab, and then press the either Yellow (monitor) or Red (record) button at the bottom of the Scan Tool window;
now, the dash display (A) or the chart display (B) should show activity;
the Data tab also shows the real time data in text form;

what does the Scan Tool display for VSS...?

The arcing/shorting you described was a very bad thing;
there's no telling what path past the throttle cable it was taking, so it's hard to know what got fried;

standard practice is to disconnect the negative battery terminal,
but disconnecting both battery terminals is even better.
Old 03-08-2006 | 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Its a 2000 SS.

I went to my shop today and scanned the car and logged a lil bit, testing stuff and i even deleted some codes and some other things for egr and air that were bringing ses lights, its kinda scary doing it for the first time, afraid you might mess something up. Also i found no code for anything vss related....

But i was driving it around and the speedo just started working all of a sudden, who would have thunk it. but dangit im hapy about that. Now i just need to figure out how to get the dang idle to calm itself down , it will idle good after the car has been running for aboud 5 or 10 minutes. Even if the car is completely warm, if you turn it off and start it right back up itll take at least a few minutes of having to keep it alive before it will idle by itself.