Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable PE for doing SD tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to disable PE for doing SD tuning

I think I read, somewhere you can disable PE by setting all values in {b3618} table
(PE modifier based on RPM) to 1.000
this correct ?

oh, this is using EFILive
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

As long as your measuring EQ, 1.00 is correct. If it's AFR, you set everything to your stoichiometric value (which is most likely close to 14.63).
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that's true.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A rocker
I think I read, somewhere you can disable PE by setting all values in {b3618} table
(PE modifier based on RPM) to 1.000
this correct ?

oh, this is using EFILive
DONT SET THE PE EQ TO 1.00 , if you do and the PCM goes into PE mode ( and it will )the car will command a EQ of 1.00 and instant lean out.

Keep the PE mode set to the same eq as the 100kpa region of B3618.

Set the PE enable values high , so B3613 to max value so it cant enable PE mode is one way , and or set TPS enable B3616 to max values
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

You should go take a look at the Autotuning tutorial.. it will help you out alot if you haven't seen it.

After you disable the MAF..

You can set the PE table to 1.00 EQ or 14.63 AFR and THEN set the closed loop temp enable table high enough so it won't go into closed loop then go to your commanded fuel in open loop and set the cooler temps richer, operating temps (158+ degrees F) to 14.63 from 20-75 kPa, and 12.95 (or whatever AFR you wish to dial in) from 75 kPa up, this way the car is always trying to maintain stoich while driving around.

don't forget to add a good 15% or so to the VE table first or it could be way lean.

This way you can use a wideband to compare the commanded AFR to your actual AFR and you can set up a table to use the BEN factors to adjust the % that the VE is off, then if you go back to the MAF you can do the same with it.

This method works excellent for dailing in the VE table.. but make sure you do it all on the same day if possible, if not without a way to trim.. if you tune on a cool day, then try to finish up on a hotter day.. the car could be lean and you will have to redo it since the car is in open loop and can't adjust. (i've ran into that myself)

Actually, i'm pretty sure all this info in MORE detail is in the tutorial (I haven't looked at it in awhile..lol)
Old 03-09-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tomcat knows how to tune, check his sig.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tomcat
DONT SET THE PE EQ TO 1.00 , if you do and the PCM goes into PE mode ( and it will )the car will command a EQ of 1.00 and instant lean out.

Keep the PE mode set to the same eq as the 100kpa region of B3618.

Set the PE enable values high , so B3613 to max value so it cant enable PE mode is one way , and or set TPS enable B3616 to max values
I thought it was the richer of the two (PE vs OLFA). Regardless of the numbers in the PE, doesn't the car go into open-loop when you floor it (based off of MAP or TP%)? Aren't those parameters somewhere else? I'm at work now, otherwise I'd check to make sure I'm not making an *** out of myself by guessing. Assuming they are, I was under the impression it would use the richer of the Open Loop Air Fuel table or the PE table modifiers while in open loop. So, all he's doing is removing one of the variables. Yes I agree it's a good idea to be safe and command open-loop full time. But, is it required if the OLFA table has rich enough values?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris81
You should go take a look at the Autotuning tutorial.. it will help you out alot if you haven't seen it.

After you disable the MAF..

You can set the PE table to 1.00 EQ or 14.63 AFR and THEN set the closed loop temp enable table high enough so it won't go into closed loop then go to your commanded fuel in open loop and set the cooler temps richer, operating temps (158+ degrees F) to 14.63 from 20-75 kPa, and 12.95 (or whatever AFR you wish to dial in) from 75 kPa up, this way the car is always trying to maintain stoich while driving around.

don't forget to add a good 15% or so to the VE table first or it could be way lean.

This way you can use a wideband to compare the commanded AFR to your actual AFR and you can set up a table to use the BEN factors to adjust the % that the VE is off, then if you go back to the MAF you can do the same with it.

This method works excellent for dailing in the VE table.. but make sure you do it all on the same day if possible, if not without a way to trim.. if you tune on a cool day, then try to finish up on a hotter day.. the car could be lean and you will have to redo it since the car is in open loop and can't adjust. (i've ran into that myself)

Actually, i'm pretty sure all this info in MORE detail is in the tutorial (I haven't looked at it in awhile..lol)

Well, if I had a wideband, I would do it that way, or better yet just use the "autotune" method with EFILive.
What I'm wanting to do is get my VE tuned in using the LTFT's and STFT's.
But I'm not sure what all needs to be disabled, etc. to set up to do this.
And I don't think you can log the BEN factors without a WB02 ?
I have P0101-P0103 set to "NO MIL"
I have copied high oct. timing table to low oct.
I have increased entire VE table by 15%
Abuse management , disabled.
Yes, i know, get a wide-band, but I want to get some tuning done now, until i can get one, and get the bung welded in.
I need help here understandin what to disable, whether I need to be in open or closed-loop, and what i need to Log in order to adjust the VE.
I am determined to learn this tuning, this EFILive is great if I can just get it figured out.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Without a WBO2, use the following BEN:

1 + ((LTFT1 + LTFT2) / 200)

and follow all the steps in the Auto VE Tuning tutorial.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Also, with the fuel trims turned on.. you probably won't need to add the full 15% of fuel to the VE tables.. when I tuned with trims I added very little.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, you're right, with trims turned on; I didn't add to VE table, I just let the LTFT ben correct it.

Edit: I'm almost asleep, but I know you should be asleep already....
Old 03-11-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris81
Also, with the fuel trims turned on.. you probably won't need to add the full 15% of fuel to the VE tables.. when I tuned with trims I added very little.
That was done in the tutorial as a safety feature as a lot of the auto tune stuff is for boosted applications , easier and quicker to run it fat than to rebuild the motor from a leanout
Old 03-12-2006, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yup, sure is
Old 03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I've been doig some logging, and getting most of my LTFT's fairly close ( <-5% ) BUT, I seem to be getting nothing but zero's for LTFT's above 4,000 RPM.
Well, I guess the car is going into PE mode, but it seems that anything above 45% TPS above 4000 RPM is giving me LTFT's of zero. But I thought TPS had to be a lot higher than that to go into PE mode????
OOPs! Maybe not according to B3615 & b3616 ! I just saw those tables...
I have not disabled the PE, SHOULD I? I'm worried that if I do, it will lean and get major ping, and BOOM !! No more LS1.
It seems that there are some tables that add fuel enrichment like B3605 (commanded fuel in open loop) that should give protection, but when you just have the MAF disconnected, and are tuning using LTFT's, you are not in true open-loop mode, right?
I am still a little confused
Should I disable the PE, or maybe just up the percentage of TPS it takes to go into PE, via B3615 / b3616 ??

Quick Reply: How to disable PE for doing SD tuning