Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners VATS Security Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP Tuners VATS Security Light Question

My security light has been coming on for the past 6 months and I finally went and got a new key. That fixed the problem for about 3 months but now it's right back to having the light come on and I have to wait a few minutes and try to start the car again. My friend has HP Tuners and I thought he had turned off the vats system so this problem would go away. Apparently it didn't work because I'm still having the problem. I think he may have not saved the tune to my car. My question is, should just turning off the vats system in hp tuners fix my car or am I out of luck? Also I've heard people talk about putting in a resistor so your car wont even have to read the key. Does anyone have a link to a website that shows you how to do this?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

ttt also intrested
Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 AM
FormerVendor

sounds like a BCM related code.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also turned off all the related codes using HPTuners and the light still came on. I guess there is more to it then that. Someone posted a pdf of the circuit and how to disable VATS a while ago.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT I have this problem too . . .
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I found this somewhere on the internet a while back but have never tried it:

The easiest way out is to take a digital ohm meter set it on the 2k scale then put one probe on one side of the key and the other to the other side and read the resistance. Then go down to radio shack or others and get a resistor of this value about 1.00 worth of cost. Then cut the two white wires in the orange tubing at the base of the steering, and solder in the resistor. Putting one wire on each side of the resistor. Tape it all up with some 3m tape and you are good to go. It now mimics the ignition key and will never give you trouble ever again.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going to try this today , thanks for the help !!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset SS
I found this somewhere on the internet a while back but have never tried it:

The easiest way out is to take a digital ohm meter set it on the 2k scale then put one probe on one side of the key and the other to the other side and read the resistance. Then go down to radio shack or others and get a resistor of this value about 1.00 worth of cost. Then cut the two white wires in the orange tubing at the base of the steering, and solder in the resistor. Putting one wire on each side of the resistor. Tape it all up with some 3m tape and you are good to go. It now mimics the ignition key and will never give you trouble ever again.

I am doing that today
Old 03-31-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well after turning the vats system off eith HP tuners it still would not start sometimes and after a few tries it would. I was going to do the vats resistor bypass fix but never got around to it. I finally got stranded at wal-mart at 1am this weekend. Good thing my girlfriend only lives across the street. The next morning I went back and tried about 15 times to get it started with no luck. Right as I was calling a friend for the tow truck # I got it started. I drove it to the chevy place and dropped it off. $448 later the problem is fixed. I'm pissed I spent that much but at least the problem is fixed right. If anyone needs it the Ignition Cylinder part # is 26033387 $101.51. They also charged me 32.31 each for 2 new keys and $246.63 for 3 hours of labor.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested also, mine is acting up. I would prefer the $1 fix mentioned above please don't forget to post to verify if it works.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners VATS Security Light Question