Sponsored by:

HP Tuners question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners question

ok, heres my situation. my buddy want to get hp tuners, and i hve the laptop. i was wondering if i can use the tuner for both my car and his or do we have to buy seperate programs because i have an LS1 and hes got an L67 (s/c 3.8). or can we use both cars on the same program for both vehicles. Im kinda new to this so help is apreiated, thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the same cable works with both cars. I tune my 04 GTP w/the same cable I tune my 00 LS1

Once Ford and Dodge support is released, same cable will work with Ford and Dodge too
Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

so everything is the same, dont i have to give them both vin numbers so i can use it on those two cars?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the new pricing structure you buy the cable and then choose how you want to license it (no need to select vehicles up front anymore)

You can either get an unlimited license (4 credits for GTP, 6 for LS1) or you can get VIN locked licenses (2 credits each, so you'd use 4 credits, and have 4 credits to do with as you please for custom OS improvements or other vehicles, etc...)

The first time you connect to the car w/athe editor is when it will ask you how you want to do the licensing ... so don't need to give HPT anything, it's all built into the software
Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i see, so i would be good just ordering the package from hpt and just hooking it up to our 2 cars and setting those vins for the credits
Old 03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup, so long as both cars are listed on the order page you'll be set (anything listed on the order page are vehicles they support)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i seen single vehicles (both of ours are on the list) and each single car is 2 credits for our cars. it says it includes 8 gm credits. So what else would i need the other credits for, because i seen suff on there for the upgrading your single vehicle and it requires credits, and it talks about bars and **** which im not familiar with.

i guess im kind of a moron because all of this is confusing to me and i would like to learn this
Old 03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

on the hptuners order page it shows what you can get for various credits...

the bar stuff refers to Speed Density tuning... 1 bar is the enhanced Naturally aspirated custom OS, 2 and 3 bar are for boosted cars.... these only apply to GEN III V8s and 4.3L V6s

Previously you had 2 pick 2 vehicles at purchase , now you can choose the vehicles as you need them...

in your case, unless you plan on tuning multiple 99 LS1s Fbods or multiple same year Grand prix, the VIN license is your best bet...

You'll then have 4 credits left over... if you have a friend that wants to tune their supported car... you could use the credits to tune their car... you can do whatever you want w/the credits....

basically the credit system allows you to use credits as you need them ..

if you want hit me up on AIM (MichaelHorist) tomorrow and I can answer any questions (if i know the answer) ... I will be in meetings most of the day though so may not be able to reply right away
Old 03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ok, cool, thanks, ive been reading this credit crap for a while now tonight and ill be back on tomorrow (i have to wake up in 4 hours to go to work).

so i think i got this down, each single car is 2 credits, and i dont need to worry about 2 or 3 bar for a while because i cant afford boost anytime soon.

i mainly just want to be able to tune these two cars and if i ever dicide to ad more ill still have room for 2 more gm cars.

i think im golden and will be ordering this stuff within the next few weeks when my buddy gets some cash for his end of the deal.