PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carolina Auto Masters Dyno Tune... what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Rowe
Guys you have really got me thinking!!

I have an appointment Thursday to get my H/C Z16 tuned, and reading all of this has really got me second guessing about going!!

Who would you recommend going to if not to CAM??

I am in SW Va, about 1.5 hours from Knoxville and about 45 minutes from Bristol.

Thanks!!!

Chris Rowe
trborowe@adelphia.net
What year is your car??? I live in the Bristol area...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an 04 Commemorative edition Z06.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its an 04 Commemorative edition Z06.

Damn...

I can tune (HPTuners) any 2001 Corvette and I have my own wideband...

Sorry dude... If you want I can a least scan it for you and give you the logs...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate it SideStep!! We may have to get together sometime and you can teach me a few things about the software if you dont mind. Where are you located??

I have been thinking about buying some software and trying it myself.

Now before you guys say anything I dont have any experience with the lsx cars and the software, but I have been tuning turbo buicks for years including a 10 second turbo trans am that I had a few years ago.

I would rather take it to a tuner and get a good tune to start with and then play around with it to learn the ropes.

SideStep, you know of any good tuners near us??

Thanks!!

Chris
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate it SideStep!! We may have to get together sometime and you can teach me a few things about the software if you dont mind. Where are you located??

Now before you guys say anything I dont have any experience with the lsx cars and the software, but I have been tuning turbo buicks for years including a 10 second turbo trans am that I had a few years ago.

I would rather take it to a tuner and get a good tune to start with and then play around with it to learn the ropes.

Thanks!!

Chris

I will PM you...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!!

Chris

if you've been working with GMECMs in buicks, you'll easilly pickup HPtuners... get HPtuners and a wideband.. since you already know the basics, its really easy... without the wideband, its more time consuming and a bit of a PITA, but still within your grasp..
Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Well, this post seems to be getting alot of mixed reactions. It is the closest place around Jacksonville that I know of and am willing to go to. I am only able to leave my work for one day and this is the most reasonable tune I was able to find. Well, I am still going to go there to get it done and if I dont like the results then I'll get it done when I go back to Ohio.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Check out R.P.M in Garner, NC (right outside Raleigh)
Old 06-06-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

One of my friends went there and was not very happy with his numbers. From what I heard this is something similar that happened to him. His car only made 385rwhp and like 36X something torque with Heads (11:1 comp. ratio), 222/224 cam unsure of lift but it is on a 114 lsa, LT's, and lid. I would go to RPM. Seems like there have been a lot of issues with cam lately.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Does RPM have a website or any way to get in touch with RPM? Sounds interesting, it isnt too late too look into them.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

I only have a mail order tune from him and at first i was like what the hell did he do. I had ask him to try and get some of the flash out of the stall and he said he would try. The car shifts out of 1'st and 2'nd really quickly at part throttle. I called him and he explained to me that w/o having the car there it would be impossible to tune it perfectly for me and my driving style. So when i take the car up there we would go for a ride and he would get it figured out. I hope to get up there soon. Anyway from just a mail order tune (and a switch from ET Streets 26X10.5 16's to 255/50 16 drag radials) I picked up .35 in the 1/8 with just the mods in my sig. 8.25 to a 7.95.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is either of those links for a forum vendor??

Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SideStep
Is either of those links for a forum vendor??

Is CAM?

Or you?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys who cares about pro tuning shops. Get yourself a tuning package and tune it yourself. Its not hard. The dyno is a tool (and a convienient way of getting insurance for tuning, which you wont get on the street).
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Is CAM?

Or you?
.. you obviously miss the point... don't link non-forum vendors
Old 06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cabech984
Well, this post seems to be getting alot of mixed reactions. It is the closest place around Jacksonville that I know of and am willing to go to. I am only able to leave my work for one day and this is the most reasonable tune I was able to find. Well, I am still going to go there to get it done and if I dont like the results then I'll get it done when I go back to Ohio.

In my opinion you should really leave the car for a few days. If you plan to drop the car off and pick it back up the same day you are only hurting yourself. That gives tuner no chance for cold start tuning. You only get one shot at it each day.

I like for customers to leave the car with me for atleast 2 days to get everything as close as possible. Any less and they usually have to bring it back later for little things. Then it just becomes a big headache for both parties.

:edit:
Just read your sig, with those mods you should be ok in a day. It is with big cams that take a little time as I described.

Nick
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

opinions have been given... people are posting up tons of NON-SPONSOR links... which is and always has been against the rules... therefore rather than baby sit and keep modifying posts and removing posts... this thread has served its purpose...

Quick Reply: Carolina Auto Masters Dyno Tune... what to expect?