Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning out 2-3 T/C lockup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tuning out 2-3 T/C lockup?

I've honestly spent a lot of time seaching on the issue where, when an A4 car has 3.73 gears and the PCM locks up the torque converter right before the 3 - 4 shift, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I've read where some of the tuning programs will correct the speedo for these gears, but does that also mean it will stop this 3rd gear T/C lockup situation as well?

I'm currently using that device Ira from the old CamaroElectronics designed, but it's been in the car for 6 years now and I'm worried it could start flaking out soon.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have control of lockup MPH in all 4 gears
(I turned off lockup in 3rd altogether, 1st/2nd
were already inactive from stock). Maybe it's
this gizmo that is putting the lockup? In my '02
stock tune lockup is suppressed at TPS > 80%
in 3rd, 4th gears to begin with.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I think you gave me the answer I needed to hear when you said you've turned off lockup in 3rd altogether, which I take as you used your tuning software to turn it off. This device I speak of actually plugged into a harness that contained the wire that sent the lock signal to the TCC, and delayed the pulse long enough to allow the 3-4 shift to occur first. It still works fine, but like I said who knows how much longer it'll last, so I need to prepare for that eventuallity. It also had speedo correction options. The guy's name who sold this device is Ira Emus, but I don't think he owns CamaroElectronics.com anymore. The software for this device does still exist on that website though.

This issue was discussed at length on LS1.com back in the '98 - 2000 timeframe.