Sponsored by:

Paging fof667 or soundengineer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paging fof667 or soundengineer

Hi,
I need some help with my A4 car. It has a FLT Level IV trans (vacuum modulated) and Yank PT4000 with 3.73's. Both are new with approximately 1000 miles. I use EFILive for tuning.

Here's the main problem. When cruising at a steady speed between 50-60 mph and I go WOT there is a short delay (read: deadspot) before the TC lock up is released and the trans downshifts to 3rd gear. It seems no matter what I do to adjust it, the problem is still there.

I'm also getting some bucking right after the TC locks up in 4th gear about 44-45 mph. It doesn't happen if the TPS progressively goes higher and the car keeps accelerating, only when it locks up and stays a constant 44-45 mph.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foff667 is the proud father of a new baby girl as of the 3rd of August, Amber Nicole

i would recommend PMing him or IMing him to get in touch with him as i suppose he is very busy right now.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

very busy! I agree with qwik.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

The bucking at about 45mph is like a manual trans that's moving too slow. I just moved my lockup speeds to 50-55 mph to get out of that range.

As for the dead spot, have you tweaked your mph tables any?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
The bucking at about 45mph is like a manual trans that's moving too slow. I just moved my lockup speeds to 50-55 mph to get out of that range.

the bucking is a surging issue...the easiest way is to adjust your lock & unlock tables to it never hits the trouble spots...also there are a few threads on here about dealing with surging and its cures

as for the dead spot I would really have to drive the car to feel what your feeling to be honest...hard to internet diagnose things like that, but if the car isnt shifting where & when you tell it to its rarely a computer problem.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
the bucking is a surging issue...the easiest way is to adjust your lock & unlock tables to it never hits the trouble spots...also there are a few threads on here about dealing with surging and its cures

as for the dead spot I would really have to drive the car to feel what your feeling to be honest...hard to internet diagnose things like that, but if the car isnt shifting where & when you tell it to its rarely a computer problem.
Mine has the same dead spot and same exact converter. It's just above where the trans wants to kick down to 2nd but too low for the powerband to be hit in 3rd. If you tweak the shift points a little, you can get it to do what you want, it just takes alot of driving and trial and error.

As for the surging, just tune it out. That's the only option i'm aware of.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
The bucking is relatively minor and more of a nuisance.

The throttle cable has some slack in it to the point if I go WOT and let off right it away it will pop off the TB cam. It's a non-TCS car, so it's not adjustable. I'm going to check that.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

50 mph lockup is too high because the car spends a fair amount of time in traffic. Yes I have tweaked the mph tables.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Mine has the same dead spot and same exact converter. It's just above where the trans wants to kick down to 2nd but too low for the powerband to be hit in 3rd. If you tweak the shift points a little, you can get it to do what you want, it just takes alot of driving and trial and error.

As for the surging, just tune it out. That's the only option i'm aware of.
Thanks for the tip. MY friend just installed a Fuddle 4000 stall and Rock-on vacuum modulated trans and has the same exact problem.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, if I go from about 30 it drives like a bat out of hell but from 40 or so up it falls on it's face. I just had to spend alot of time doing pulls from about 40 and tweaking the tables till I got it shifting how I wanted.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, if I go from about 30 it drives like a bat out of hell but from 40 or so up it falls on it's face. I just had to spend alot of time doing pulls from about 40 and tweaking the tables till I got it shifting how I wanted.
I fixed the bucking, but the dead spot is still there. What tables are you adjusting?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

I messed with all of the shift tables at one point. I don't have my laptop in front of me to see where the majority of the changes were though.