PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99+ ecm/harness swap in 98 thread anyone.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99+ ecm/harness swap in 98 thread anyone.

I know we have a thread on here that explains the whole thing but I cant find it..

I want to know about potential problems with the connectors, the VATS unit and other sensors etc...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Teching In

nothing on the 98 is compatible with 99+ harness or pcm. You would need to either have your 98 body harness repined to match the 99+ body harness or just start pulling out your interior and swap the whole harness.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn ! sounds like a PITA !
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

re-pin it all it takes is time and an ecm pinout chart, just do it one pin at a time and you'll be fine.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
FormerVendor

If you go to the 99+ from a 98, you will need a new dash cluster and fuel tank sending unit. If you need a 99+ tank, I have a complete one with sender and all wiring.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redline-Motorsports
If you go to the 99+ from a 98, you will need a new dash cluster and fuel tank sending unit. If you need a 99+ tank, I have a complete one with sender and all wiring.
I´m looking for a tank for my swap, how much you want?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how feasible it would be to run 2 PCMs in the car? feed everything to the 98 sensor as normal... put a temp sensor in the passenger head and run that along w/the rest of the engine/trans control to the other PCM

That way all gauges would work, but the engine and trans would listen to the 99+?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Very intresting thread. I like where this is going. If the only things that need to be changed are the ECM, fuel sending unit and wiring harness whats so hard about that? Isnt that easier than repinning?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horist
I wonder how feasible it would be to run 2 PCMs in the car? feed everything to the 98 sensor as normal... put a temp sensor in the passenger head and run that along w/the rest of the engine/trans control to the other PCM

That way all gauges would work, but the engine and trans would listen to the 99+?
It'd be a lot easier to just run aftermarket gauges and just use the 99+ PCM.

I use my car to guinea pig the harnesses I build for other LSx RX7s, and I can swap between 98 and 99+ harnesses in about 9 minutes and have full gauge and engine function (I do have a 98->99+ Coolant sensor adapter).
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by horist

I've read about folks doing something like this w/ a BS3 setup that makes sense. I guess you have to choose btw this and sticking with the factory PCM and go with EFI Live or HPtuners custom OS's to handle the xtra boost.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Very intresting thread. I like where this is going. If the only things that need to be changed are the ECM, fuel sending unit and wiring harness whats so hard about that? Isnt that easier than repinning?
If you want a fully functional dash then you will have to aquire a newer Instrument Cluster and repin the dash. Even if you don't care about the fuel gage then you will still have to do some go btwn wiring swapping repinning depending on your senario. To some pulling the 98 engine harness and swapping with a 99+up harness is just not a justifiable time or monetary expense to which in this case the pinswap is not a bad alternative.

Having personally performed a couple of these swaps now, (and assisted over the phone and net with 5 others) one on my own car, a 98 repin and on another 98 in which a 99 harness w/ LS2 motor was implemented I can see the advantages and disadvantages of the unique situations.

Bottom line, the 98 OS is really limited and there are plenty of reasons to upgrade.

Flamesuit on for all the die hard superfast 98 purists.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
It'd be a lot easier to just run aftermarket gauges and just use the 99+ PCM.

I use my car to guinea pig the harnesses I build for other LSx RX7s, and I can swap between 98 and 99+ harnesses in about 9 minutes and have full gauge and engine function (I do have a 98->99+ Coolant sensor adapter).
In a non GM Fbody application or any situation where you are not going to use a corrresponding Instrument Cluster I agree. Now, figuring out how to take advantage of the newer OS and somehow get the output signals for individual gages- Since 99+up uses the PCM's serial data line to feed the I.C. I guess you could rig up individual sensor outputs like the speedo, rpm, ECT, oil press, off the sensors themselves. One serial data line Vs. multiple sensor lines...I'd cheese out and try to remake the dash to accomadate the fbody cluster.

Quick Reply: 99+ ecm/harness swap in 98 thread anyone.