Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my tuner way off?????

Car specs:

98 vert 6 spd
232-236 114 LSA 588 601 lift CC
Texas Speed 2.5 CNC LS6 Heads

dynoed at 394 when I went in, left at 391.
He claims my knock sensors are bad and he cant pull timing.
Car flattened out at 147 mph after the tune

CEL light has returned
He did not tell me where the rev limiter is set at, ( I for forgot to ask, half my fault)
IMO Idle is way too high, a tad over 1000 rpm

So basically i got 4 pulls for 350 dollars? And I also had to transfer the files to a usb drive myself casue he didnt know how??????

Can I post the tune for someone to analyze and not break any rules??

Your thoughts?

TIA
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure post up, also what tuning suite did your "tuner" use?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds kind of fishy to me - especially if he didn't know how to do a simple file transfer. If the knock sensors were reporting false knock, he could have de-sensitized them in the PCM. How was the AFR looking? Between that and any timing changes, I'd be curious to see why the numbers came out lower than before.

With that setup and a decent tune, I'd expect to see something in the 420~430 range. If KR is kicking in, then that could be limiting your dyno numbers.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't you know? It's always the tuners fault.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Don't you know? It's always the tuners fault.
Not always. We haven't ruled out mechanical/electrical issues. What I was getting at thought was...based on the information provided, it didn't sound like the tuner attempted to find the source of the problem. The original post sounds to me like the tuner had a short amount of time, wanted the $350, and then sent him on his way with dyno numbers lower than where they started...not to mention the 1,000+RPM idle on that cam...come on! You mean to tell me he invested time in drive-ability and idle quality?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Not always. We haven't ruled out mechanical/electrical issues. What I was getting at thought was...based on the information provided, it didn't sound like the tuner attempted to find the source of the problem. The original post sounds to me like the tuner had a short amount of time, wanted the $350, and then sent him on his way with dyno numbers lower than where they started...not to mention the 1,000+RPM idle on that cam...come on! You mean to tell me he invested time in drive-ability and idle quality?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Welcome to the CarToon Network
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Here are the tunes attached. Please accept my apologies if this is a no no.

Further discussions with other people have since revealed to me that a lot of what this tuner does is that the tunes are piggbacked from another tuner in the area. He tries to tweak them to get them to fit. In addition to the knock sensors he said the FIs were bad possibly one or two and of course I was welcome to use his FI service to get them all matched for 300 dollars more. ?????????????????????? I have NGK standard plugs and he said those were also the culrpits as well.

Further clairification as to the heads, I was a little off

TSP Stage 1 LS6 Heads (new style) - Dual Springs, Comp Valve Job, Milled to 59ccs I used stock GM MLS Head Gaskets

Right now I am seeking a second opinion, hopefully a qualified one. If I was blaming the tuner right away I would have named names and locations, that I have not done. Am I upset? Of course, more so due to the fact I could have bought the tuning software for 100 dollars more or so and learned myself. Mistakes made of course, but thats my fault, I let people talk me out of it. I have done everything else on this car myself and I should have stayed the course, I just got impatiant.

To state further, so one tuner does not feel like he is openly bashing another, the name and location will forever be with held. I understand and perscribe to codes of conduct.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
my tune pt 1.hpt (448.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: hpt
my tune pt 2.hpt (448.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by MrCoffee; 05-10-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Doc
Welcome to the CarToon Network
So who are you....Daffy Doc?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000c-5
So who are you....Daffy Doc?
No, he's the one Bugs Bunny is always talking to...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by arrowpc
Here are the tunes attached. Please accept my apologies if this is a no no.

Further discussions with other people have since revealed to me that a lot of what this tuner does is that the tunes are piggbacked from another tuner in the area. He tries to tweak them to get them to fit. In addition to the knock sensors he said the FIs were bad possibly one or two and of course I was welcome to use his FI service to get them all matched for 300 dollars more. ?????????????????????? I have NGK standard plugs and he said those were also the culrpits as well.

Further clairification as to the heads, I was a little off

TSP Stage 1 LS6 Heads (new style) - Dual Springs, Comp Valve Job, Milled to 59ccs I used stock GM MLS Head Gaskets

Right now I am seeking a second opinion, hopefully a qualified one. If I was blaming the tuner right away I would have named names and locations, that I have not done. Am I upset? Of course, more so due to the fact I could have bought the tuning software for 100 dollars more or so and learned myself. Mistakes made of course, but thats my fault, I let people talk me out of it. I have done everything else on this car myself and I should have stayed the course, I just got impatiant.

To state further, so one tuner does not feel like he is openly bashing another, the name and location will forever be with held. I understand and perscribe to codes of conduct.

Thank you
Need the log file, the .hpl file.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

chalk it up as a lost especially since you say he piggybacks other tunes. get a WB and buy EFI or HPT so you get a scanner also. costs about a G. i've been trying to tune for 4 months on what should have been simple but the scanner is nice to have to see how the same tune can have varying scanner info.
bad side is a lot of time, gas, and nitrous for me but i would rather do this than expect even a great tune to stay in line.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
No, he's the one Bugs Bunny is always talking to...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Can you also post dyno graph before and after would be great but the one that the tune was done on would be the most important
Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Here are the dyno files. I couldnt open them myself. They are .drf extension.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
dyno RunFile_00X.zip (10.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by MrCoffee; 05-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
chalk it up as a lost especially since you say he piggybacks other tunes. get a WB and buy EFI or HPT so you get a scanner also. costs about a G. i've been trying to tune for 4 months on what should have been simple but the scanner is nice to have to see how the same tune can have varying scanner info.
bad side is a lot of time, gas, and nitrous for me but i would rather do this than expect even a great tune to stay in line.
.................thats where I'm headed with it I think. Good thing is I do have something in partial trade to hold over him so either I get a little bit of a refund or I will sell the rest of the parts that I got something in return for. I definitely don't mind paying for someone's time and I wasn't looking for 20 HP either, but at the same time I did not feel I got my money's worth also.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Wink

Lets bump this one time and see if anyone has any further thoughts.

Thanks again
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Well I thought I would update this thread. Found a better tuner and this is what we figured out.

The whole porblem was related to oil in the intake manifold. The oil mixing with the fuel was causing the detonation and not allowing us to pull any timing.

So basically all of the items the original tuner claimed were causing my problems, 1) bad knock sensors 2) change to colder plugs 3) need new fuel injectors were way off base.

We did a street tune and the new tuner was able to point out where the first tuner was piggy backing the tune, and gave good explanation as to why he was sure this was piggybacked.

Car is completely diffferent now, definitely more power. No numbers yet as we are waiting to install the HS roller rockers and add the nitrous, then we will do a full dyno tune.

Hope this helps somone else out.

Cheers