Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys I need some help tunning with EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys I need some help tunning with EFI Live

Not just a link to something I have already read and didn't understand. I have read just about everything I can find. Most of it is either way over my head or stuff I already know.

I finally dicided that I would play around with EFI Live and see if I would understand anymore about it from playing with it. I followed the AutoVE tunning tutorial in the help section of EFI Live. I logged about 300 miles of data over the last 2 days. I did the copy/pastet/repeat process 3 times and today I returned it back to normal MAF mode. I drove the car around watching the LTFT's and noticed they were changing pretty often going as far as -12.5%. I logged a couple WOT runs...here is the scary part. When I go WOT the AFR drops to 10ish:1 and from there it creeps up to 16ish:1. Max KR 2.4*

I really don't know what to do now. It seems like every time I search for info most of the replies to the post give a link to something I have already read or just say "search". I have taken 8 automotive electronic/driveability classes and had a 4.0 average. I know I can learn this but please don't throw all the books at me at once and tell me to search for what I need to know.

Last edited by Black01M6SS; 09-15-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

After autoVE, put it back in closed loop without the maf. Then watch your AFR and see where it is. Get it right this way before re-enabling the maf. You will have to rescale the maf table if you want to run the maf but do that after you get your afr right when running close loop/no maf.

As for WOT, log your commanded vs actual. But obviously be careful if it's going lean. You can manually fatten up the upper rpm ranges in the VE table if needed, but again do all this without the maf first.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to plug it back in or not but the directions ended at that point so I thought I was supposed to return it all back to original.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Start with the injectors xls, get them correct. Get your VE table trued up to +/- 1-2% in OL. Re-enable the MAF. STAY in OL, No Fuel Trims, re-calibrate the MAF table. Then go back to CL if you desire.

This is one of many approaches that you can use. I don't think there is any "Right way." As stated before, the ultimate goal is to have what you are commanding equal what you are getting on your WBO2.

If I were you I would strongly consider EFI Live's Custom OS #3 for your FI setup. It's free and you will have greater control of your fueling.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaveX
After autoVE, put it back in closed loop without the maf. Then watch your AFR and see where it is. Get it right this way before re-enabling the maf. You will have to rescale the maf table if you want to run the maf but do that after you get your afr right when running close loop/no maf.

As for WOT, log your commanded vs actual. But obviously be careful if it's going lean. You can manually fatten up the upper rpm ranges in the VE table if needed, but again do all this without the maf first.

Ok, I followed the AutoVE tutorial, unplugged my MAF and reset my fuel trims. The tutorial says to drive it around and see if the LTFT's are in the 0 to -4 range. How long would I have to drive it to get an accurate LTFT reading? On that short drive it was going all over the place changing every few seconds. AFR goes any where from 13.5-16:1 at idle but stays around 14.6:1 for the most part. I'm not sure if that is good or bad that it changes so much.

I logged another WOT run with the MAF unplugged and it was pretty much the same. As soon as I hit it the AFR drops down in the 9:1 range slowly creeps up. By 3500 rpm it will be 12:1 or so then around 4500 it jumps to 15-16:1 and holds. To richen it up do I increase or decrease the numbers in the main VE table? Also, if I manually richen it up, changing the numbers in the VE table, won't the program just auto correct it to what it thinks it should be the next time I try to AutoVE tune it? I thought thats what the program was for...to tell me what it should be.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm not the most knowlegable about it, I'm still learning myself. I just know when you plug the maf in it will skew your AFR until you rescale it. And I have no knowledge about tuning FI. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in.

That being said, your actual AFR will swing back and forth across commanded AFR. It will never maintain a constant number. Is your actual AFR leaner than your commanded AFR when going WOT? If so, if you had enough data when doing the AutoVE it would tell how much you needed to adjust and where. The whole idea is to get actual to match commanded. But WOT tuning is hard to do on the street since it's hard to gather enough data. I would manually fatten up the top end though just to be safe, and to do that you should increase the numbers. Maybe 15%. But don't keep making wot passes with it running lean or it won't last long. Shut it down when you see it hit 14%, or sooner.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

If you dont mind e mail me a copy and Ill try to help.
johnnys98ta@aol.com
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I wouldn't have ran it hard but I thought it was running really rich untill this past weekend when I actually logged it. I'll richen it up in the higher rpm/map ranges and see how it does.

RUTAN TA that would be great but I have a laptop for EFI Live and its not connected to the internet. I can probably hook it up tomorrow after work though.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still unsure what I'm supposed to be looking for with the LTFT's. I logged about 5 min of driving today and they were anywhere from -15% to 0%. This is the 3rd day I've drove it so I figured they would have settled by now if they were going to. The drive that I logged I only got into it a max of 62% I believe. I think the commanded AFR and actual AFR are very close as long as I'm not getting on it any harder than that.

Something else I thought of. When I was doing the Auto VE tuning I didn't have to give it WOT to max out the MAP value. Around 75% throttle would have the MAP maxed. Maybe this is why it goes so lean at WOT but is so close at part throttle?

I'm seeing 11 psi on my boost guage at WOT. Where does the stock MAP max out at?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

The stock operating system wont see boost,your VE table stops at 105kpa
PM sent