PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Know If Ed Wright Locks His Computers When He Tunes Them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does Anyone Know If Ed Wright Locks His Computers When He Tunes Them?

I am buying a 98 ls1 six speed computer, and it has a mild tune on it from ed wright the seller says, so i wanted to buy the ecu and transfer my tune onto the computer and use it but i wanna know if he locks his computers when he tunes them if not i will just erase the tune and use my tune. thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not contact ed directly at fastchips? He would really be the one to speak to in this case. I know he used to lock his tunes but I believe he changed recently so it might depend on when the pcm was tuned. But like I said he would be your best resource in this case, not anyone else.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Buddy of mine used him twice was not locked!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
Why not contact ed directly at fastchips? He would really be the one to speak to in this case. I know he used to lock his tunes but I believe he changed recently so it might depend on when the pcm was tuned. But like I said he would be your best resource in this case, not anyone else.

Recently, like five years ago.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up Ed.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 PM
9-Second Club

Even if it was old enough to be "locked", anybody could reflash it with any program they wanted to. Unlike several I have had come in lately, second ownner of the vehicle doesn't know who tried to tune it and left it locked, so can't have it unlocked. Makes a door stop of the ECM/PCM. I never left one like that.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A techII can reflash any pcm that has a good memory.I have had sevral unlocked that way.

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Even if it was old enough to be "locked", anybody could reflash it with any program they wanted to. Unlike several I have had come in lately, second ownner of the vehicle doesn't know who tried to tune it and left it locked, so can't have it unlocked. Makes a door stop of the ECM/PCM. I never left one like that.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1curious
A techII can reflash any pcm that has a good memory.I have had sevral unlocked that way.
I dont kow how much tuning you actually do, or many you have tried to reflash that was locked with hptuners, but nobody but (ask hptuners if you think I don't know what I'm talking about) or LS2 boxes locked with LS2edit, (ask them if you don't think I know what I'm talking about) and you will learn ONLY the person that locked them can unlock them.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

I dont kow how much tuning you actually do, or many you have tried to reflash that was locked with hptuners, but nobody but (ask hptuners if you think I don't know what I'm talking about) or LS2 boxes locked with LS2edit, (ask them if you don't think I know what I'm talking about) and you will learn ONLY the person that locked them can unlock them.
Not quite true Ed , I can unlock any LSx PCM but the tune will be lost , at least it makes the PCM's usable again
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Not quite true Ed , I can unlock any LSx PCM but the tune will be lost , at least it makes the PCM's usable again
That's not what I was told by hptuners or ls2edit. Keith also told me they knew of no way to save an LS2 box locked with ls2edit. I can get those unlocked with a stock cal, but it costs money and have to ship it elsewhere for that. I have an '04 LS6 box laying here right now that I can't flash with my Tech2 & TIS2000. They change the security seed/key routine. In those cases the Tech2 gives up and gives you several programming error codes. The only way around it, (if you have the time) with LS1-style boxes (not LS2) is to desolder the chip and flash it with a good rom image, and solder it back in. Good luck saving an LS2 box that way.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

That's not what I was told by hptuners or ls2edit. Keith also told me they knew of no way to save an LS2 box locked with ls2edit. I can get those unlocked with a stock cal, but it costs money and have to ship it elsewhere for that. I have an '04 LS6 box laying here right now that I can't flash with my Tech2 & TIS2000. They change the security seed/key routine. In those cases the Tech2 gives up and gives you several programming error codes. The only way around it, (if you have the time) with LS1-style boxes (not LS2) is to desolder the chip and flash it with a good rom image, and solder it back in. Good luck saving an LS2 box that way.

No I hack in to change the seed key algorithm through a back door crack , yes I have unlocked E40's and E38's as well as LS1 PCM's , can take a while to brute force my way in though.

Tech2 requires a valid seed key repsonce so it wont unlock them.

Removing the flash was one way on a LS1 but my soldering skills are crap so electronically is a better way and as you say impossible on a E38 or E40.

Send it down my way and I can guarrantee they can be unlocked

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Know If Ed Wright Locks His Computers When He Tunes Them?