PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What effect, if any, does spark/timing have on AF ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What effect, if any, does spark/timing have on AF ratio?

I am about to order HP Tuners and I want to tune my secondary car(Cavalier) before my GTO so I can learn. In doing this, I will not be using a wideband so I will be holding off on all WOT tuning until I have a dyno available.

What is timing going to do to my AF? I have heard that I can tune almost every thing without a wideband except for WOT and I have also heard I need a wideband to do ANYTHING.

Can I have some clarification please?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the timing is too low it might read falsely lean. But you would probably notice backfiring and powerloss by that time.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Timing will not affect air fuel ratio. You may see a difference air fuel ratio when measuring with a wideband as with less than optimal timing combustion efficiency can fall, the fuel will never dissociate and just passes thru, less o2 potential between in and out of the exhaust stream, and the wideband will read a touch off.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

timing totally affects AFR; with not enough time for the flame to totally propagate, you'll have unburned fuel, causing a rich condition. it's quite easily visible, for example most automatic cars have quite a different timing in P/N vs D. sit there idling in P/N and then shift to D, and different timing will instantly change the resulting AFR.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Jedi Master

Argh....mixed results.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Timing will change the a/f requirements of the engine... Think about it. Horsepower / torque requires fuel. Spark + or - modifies horsepower / torque. So the needs will change, and thus the A/f ratio will be changed..
Old 11-11-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wait4me
Timing will change the a/f requirements of the engine... Think about it. Horsepower / torque requires fuel. Spark + or - modifies horsepower / torque. So the needs will change, and thus the A/f ratio will be changed..
Timing affects the thermodynamic efficiency of an engine to produce more horsepower, not the volumetric efficiency. Why would the a/f ratio change just because the engine is more efficient at converting heat energy to rotational energy? Now you might want to richen up your a/f a little if you bump the timing up too far to stave off detonation but the engine is not going to use that extra fuel its just going to end up in the exhaust and either way the o2 sensor (which looks at oxygen, not unburnt fuel) will see the same thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Lienus is right.
I've had to deal with this issue a lot since I've been in rotary engines for so long.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
timing totally affects AFR; with not enough time for the flame to totally propagate, you'll have unburned fuel, causing a rich condition. it's quite easily visible, for example most automatic cars have quite a different timing in P/N vs D. sit there idling in P/N and then shift to D, and different timing will instantly change the resulting AFR.
Timing does not affect A/F ratio. And an incomplete burn is not a rich condition.
With an incomplete burn you end up with high levels of HC, and 02, but not high levels of CO, which by definition is a rich condition.
A/F ratio is just that. How much air to fuel is being ingested by the engine. What the engine does with that fuel, i.e., what you see on a WB or NB 02, is not a true definition of the A/F ratio. This is the main reason a WB reading cannot be trusted when monitoring idle A/F on a big cam motor.
You can have a WB reading of 17:1 at idle with a big cam, and have a rich condition.
Trust me, I use a 5 gas in conjunction with a WB, so I see it all the time.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to see some critical thinkers.

AFR in is equal to AFR out regardless of timing.

Anyone want to argue with me about AFR changing before/after a cat at mixtures richer than 14.7?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Glad to see some critical thinkers.

AFR in is equal to AFR out regardless of timing.
Yes, BUT, AFR in doesnt mean the AFR out is what you're seeing on a WB or NB. Those readings can be skewed by many things, primarily overlap at idle.

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Anyone want to argue with me about AFR changing before/after a cat at mixtures richer than 14.7?
I could def participate in that discussion. You using a gas analyzer Alvin?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Timing does not affect A/F ratio. And an incomplete burn is not a rich condition.
With an incomplete burn you end up with high levels of HC, and 02, but not high levels of CO, which by definition is a rich condition.
A/F ratio is just that. How much air to fuel is being ingested by the engine. What the engine does with that fuel, i.e., what you see on a WB or NB 02, is not a true definition of the A/F ratio. This is the main reason a WB reading cannot be trusted when monitoring idle A/F on a big cam motor.
You can have a WB reading of 17:1 at idle with a big cam, and have a rich condition.
Trust me, I use a 5 gas in conjunction with a WB, so I see it all the time.

I agree mostly, as HC's are unburned fuel, but high HC's don't mean rich there's a rich condition, that means there is a lean condition causing an incomplete burn, leaving raw fuel in the exhaust. High CO #'s would be a rich condition. I played with a motor this last week with an EGA and validited what I posted above, and when I would set the CO's to a rich level like 10% the HC's were still low and uneffected, but when I leaned the CO's down to 1%-2% the HC went through the roof. I have seen cars at idle that "smell" rich and they are actually 15-16 afr, and when fattened up some, they idled a bit better and didn't smell any richer than before.

All that being said, I have personally gone from about 20-28* on engines before and it did not effect AFR, but I suppose if you went too far one way or the other past an "effecient" range for a motor then it may effect the WB readings due to in-complete combustion.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

Yes, BUT, AFR in doesnt mean the AFR out is what you're seeing on a WB or NB. Those readings can be skewed by many things, primarily overlap at idle.

I could def participate in that discussion. You using a gas analyzer Alvin?
I had the luxury this week of being in Training in Atlanta/Kennesaw for Yamaha motor corp., and I got to use a Bridge Handheld all week long, comparing readings from the tailpipe vs. a fitting further upsteam in the exhaust and playing with CO watching the effects of HC while doing so. It was great, I am going to get one for the shop at work now probably.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I agree mostly, as HC's are unburned fuel, but high HC's don't mean rich there's a rich condition, that means there is a lean condition causing an incomplete burn, leaving raw fuel in the exhaust. High CO #'s would be a rich condition. I played with a motor this last week with an EGA and validited what I posted above, and when I would set the CO's to a rich level like 10% the HC's were still low and uneffected, but when I leaned the CO's down to 1%-2% the HC went through the roof. I have seen cars at idle that "smell" rich and they are actually 15-16 afr, and when fattened up some, they idled a bit better and didn't smell any richer than before.

All that being said, I have personally gone from about 20-28* on engines before and it did not effect AFR, but I suppose if you went too far one way or the other past an "effecient" range for a motor then it may effect the WB readings due to in-complete combustion.
If you read my post more carefully, you'll notice I said 'high CO which by definition is rich'.
A rich condition is any A/F numerically lower than 14.7:1 when discussing gasoline. HCs will go up in either a rich or lean condition. In an overly lean condition, HC will skyrocket. 02 levels will go up as well, due to the incomplete burn, but CO will remain low.
As for timing, too much or too little, causing incomplete burn, it may skew the WB readings, but that does not mean its causing a change in A/F ratio.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Jedi Master

Ok it looks like we have determined that spark will not affect A/F until AFTER the burn which then it is completely irrelevant in terms of engine power correct?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Ok it looks like we have determined that spark will not affect A/F until AFTER the burn which then it is completely irrelevant in terms of engine power correct?
I dont follow you. NONE of it is irrelevant in terms of making power. It all relates. Too much timing is detrimental. Too much fuel is wasted energy. Not enough timing is a waste. ALL of the conditions I've mentioned may result in different WB readings but it doesnt change the fact that timing has no affect on A/F ratio. Not WB readings, the actual amount of fuel the computer, or carb for that matter, is flowing thru the engine.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

If you read my post more carefully, you'll notice I said 'high CO which by definition is rich'.
A rich condition is any A/F numerically lower than 14.7:1 when discussing gasoline. HCs will go up in either a rich or lean condition. In an overly lean condition, HC will skyrocket. 02 levels will go up as well, due to the incomplete burn, but CO will remain low.
As for timing, too much or too little, causing incomplete burn, it may skew the WB readings, but that does not mean its causing a change in A/F ratio.
Ok, I see what you were saying. I was referring more to WB readings. But, what you see on the wideband is not always correct.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Ok, I see what you were saying. I was referring more to WB readings. But, what you see on the wideband is not always correct.
Yes. Not everything you see is correct. A WB reacts only with "free" oxygen with complete combustion assumed. Without complete combustion the equations aren't balanced and the result is completely errorous. More oxygen will be free than the WB is expecting. This means a lean reading causing you to overfuel.

Now that 5 gas analyser could be more accurate since we know from chemistry what ratio of gasses for any given AFR will result. Since it looks at more than just free oxygen and the curves of the other gasses don't have the same shape as free oxygen a more plausible answer can be given. If the O2 is too high but the other gases are pointing in the oppisite direction then the machine can throw out the data from the O2%.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

holy hell, if I wasnt confused enough already, this thread did it forsure!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
holy hell, if I wasnt confused enough already, this thread did it forsure!
What are you confused about?

Quick Reply: What effect, if any, does spark/timing have on AF ratio?