Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New product: Painless Perfect ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New product: Painless Perfect ECU

Painless obviously needs no introduction, their reputation for producing easy to install wiring products is well known. What might not be so well known, is this little gem – the “Painless Perfect” LS1 engine control module. One of the biggest causes of anxiety among those of us dropping LS engines into just about anything, is how to get it to run the way we want without hiring a NASA engineer. Well, Painless did their homework and made it a whole lot easier to run EFI with a setup that is easy to install, straight forward to tune, and doesn't clutter up the engine bay.

In these two boxes is everything you need to run an LS engine – hardware, wiring, and software. You'll need a laptop to tune, with a serial port or a common USB-to-Serial adapter.

Installation:
It doesn't get much easier than this – every connection is terminated, and clearly labeled. Start plugging things into the various sensors, coils, etc. on the motor and you'll find the harness basically lays itself out how it should go. Nice and clean, this part literally takes you 10 minutes to do. Once you have the harness plugged into the motor, you're pretty much left with just your basic power and ground wires, starter switch, mounting the diagnostic link, check engine light, and other pretty obvious stuff. The manual is incredibly detailed, walking you through every connection step by step.

The controller:
Three mounting screws, two connectors. That's all it takes to mount and plug this little guy in and make magic happen. This was the most surprising part to me -- the physical size of the unit controlling your motor! Take a peek:

Now that looks pretty small – but to really get an idea of scale, check this out:

The controller looks to be weather sealed, with nice weatherpak connectors and all, but Painless recommends mounting it inside the vehicle – they even include the grommet for the hole in the firewall. Nice and complete, the attention to detail is definitely there!

In the next few posts, I'll detail the tuning software, installing it on the car, and firing it up. Stay tuned!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Hi!
I installed this, but according to Painless this is will not work with GM Tech 2. Have you experienced this?
Hugo
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not expect it to work with a Tech-II because it looks
like fundamentally different hardware, and GM probably doesn't
know or care what's in it.

On the other hand there shouldn't be anything in it that -needs-
the "super powers" of a Tech-II (things that aftermarket S/W
can't access because it's a special / obscure GM secret etc.).
Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mefi Ecm right?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wait4me
Mefi Ecm right?
I thought the exact same thing when I saw the picture of the ECM.

Jay
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Launching!

What are the part numbers?

I'd like to find out how much the setup costs.

Jay Johnson